PDA

View Full Version : 84 Big Red Lost Key - any tricks ?

redrig
10-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Hello all,

I am new here. The bike is not hot or anything, to make a long story short my father in law just passed and he gave an 84 big red in excellent shape to my son, we are just needing to get it out of his garage sooner rather than later. there is a good chance the key will never be found.

any tips on getting a spark ? I noticed there are 4 wires coming out of the switch itself. can I just tie all 4 together to get it fired up ?

Thanks in advance.

jasonrobert67
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
taken from another website

unplug the switch, and the trike will start with the kicker. Use the kill switch to stop it.

My diagram shows that the black and green are for killing the motor, when the switch is off, they are connected together. The kill switch connects them together when it is in the off postiion.

My Diagram shows that the other two wires are Red and Red with a white stripe. The white has probably turned yellow with age. These two wires should be bigger. Connect the Red to the Red with White to make the lights and the electric starter work.

You can replace the key with a simple switch between the Red and Red with White, as long as you use the kill switch to stop the motor.

kb0nly
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Jason is correct, and a very fine post!

I will add that if you take the headlight out you will see that the black and green wires from the switch and male plugs, just pull them out of the connectors they are plugged into, the other two are opposites, one is female, one is male, unplug the ones from the switch then plug the two wires they plugged into together, now everything will function for the time being, use the kill switch on the handlebar controls to turn the ignition on and off and the light switch to turn the lights on and off, the electric start will work and the neutral and reverse lights will function with it jumped like this.

You can get a key made for the ignition switch, it involves a little work, but dealers and others on the net can make you a key, you just need the key code number from the ignition switch and they cut one to match, but that will take a while. Just bypass for now.

You can also get a new switch for it fairly reasonable, i got a brand new one for my 84 for $45, OEM and came with two keys.

And don't forget pics, we are total picture junkies here we wanna see it!! LOL

redrig
10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Holy Mackerel! Thank you both for the instructions, that is exacly what I am needing, a quick way to get it fired up so that we can get it out of the way.

I will get some pics up, its in good shape and one neat thing too is that it has a functioning snow plow.

thank you very much

redrig
10-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Kbonly,

one quick question about using your method with the black and green wire. once I plug those 2 together (green and black) do I need to do anything with the red and the r/w ? for the starter and eveerything to work ?

Thanks again

Flyingw
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
If you get it out of the way, you can send me the dash and I'll put another switch in it. I have extra 250ES and SX switches with keys but the wiring harness is different. I'll take your harness and put it on one of my switches or I can send you a switch.

Option B is to buy a new ES switch assy off ebay and do the same thing. I believe the 200ES switch body is the same as the ES and SX just a different harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Main-Ignition-Key-Switch-1985-1987-ATC250ES-Big-Red-Genuine-OEM-Honda-E0081-/290802298469?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b52aee65&vxp=mtr

I've bought 2 of these and put them on my SXs as the SX switches are discontinued.

dustrunner
10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
i believe it's an 84 so kick starting wont work. if flyinglow cant help ya, take the switch to your dealer and they can make a key for 10 $ and everything will work...

ebaccm26
10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Definately post some pics especially with the plow, they are a little less common which means they are cool to see.

Flyingw
10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
i believe it's an 84 so kick starting wont work. if flyinglow cant help ya, take the switch to your dealer and they can make a key for 10 $ and everything will work...You arew absolutely right about taking it to a Honda dealer. There is a number on the side of the switch cylinder. That number is the key cut code.

redrig
10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
I cant say for sure since the trike is a couple of hours away , but if I remember right it wasnt kick , it was a pull start back up.
does that change anything with "hot wiring" it ?

tri again
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
see if you can click on:

service manual

it should have wire diagrams.

generally, the 200 and 250 es you can just unplug the key switch and leave all the wires unconnected and it will throw spark.
Light will even work when it's running.

you'll need to use the kill switch to, well, kill it.

just ben
10-30-2012, 07:08 AM
You arew absolutely right about taking it to a Honda dealer. There is a number on the side of the switch cylinder. That number is the key cut code.Any time I have ordered a key from a dealer they need proof of ownership. with his situation it sounds like he may not have that. Any decent locksmith can make a key in 10-15 minutes and is under 20.00.

kb0nly
10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Kbonly,

one quick question about using your method with the black and green wire. once I plug those 2 together (green and black) do I need to do anything with the red and the r/w ? for the starter and eveerything to work ?

Thanks again

I meant leave the black and green totally disconnected, connect the Red and Yellow/Red together.

kb0nly
10-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I cant say for sure since the trike is a couple of hours away , but if I remember right it wasnt kick , it was a pull start back up.
does that change anything with "hot wiring" it ?

No... Just pull the ignition switch wires from the harness up in the light, connect as i mentioned in my last post.

It came with a plow too!!! You lucky dog... Those are dang hard to find, i mean like unobtanium hard.