PDA

View Full Version : New to page and trike repair in general

chris_drover
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi there, Im new to this so please bare with me. I just picked up a 1984 200 big red and have a couple concerns. The big one right now being the oil leak coming from where the pull start bolts to the crankcase. I can see oil dripping from there as well the cord in the pull start is soaked with oil. I have done my research and have concluded that the o-ring on the bolt that holds the starter driven pulley as well as the oil seal around this pulley are bad. First question is am I correct in my diagnosis? If I am, do I have to remove the crank case cover to replace the seal or do I just need to remove this pulley? Also, what do I ask for at my local Honda dealer to ensure I receive the proper seal and o-ring?

sylviabanks
10-30-2012, 03:05 AM
hello welcome to the forum

dustrunner
11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
hi, and welcome.. is the oil low on the dipstick after sitting ? i have put oil in a recoil before to lubricate it and get it working better... im not saying thats your problem but who knows....

tri again
11-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi there, Im new to this so please bare with me. I just picked up a 1984 200 big red and have a couple concerns. The big one right now being the oil leak coming from where the pull start bolts to the crankcase. I can see oil dripping from there as well the cord in the pull start is soaked with oil. I have done my research and have concluded that the o-ring on the bolt that holds the starter driven pulley as well as the oil seal around this pulley are bad. First question is am I correct in my diagnosis? If I am, do I have to remove the crank case cover to replace the seal or do I just need to remove this pulley? Also, what do I ask for at my local Honda dealer to ensure I receive the proper seal and o-ring?

Hey there.

See if you can click on the following words:

service manual

search key works great too.

I'm not sure about the crank seal, if it goes in from the
outside and or if the crank bolt is reverse thread.

Someone knows for sure but lots of folks have no electricity.

kb0nly
11-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I have the manuals in my signature below as well...

All you have to do is unbolt and remove the recoil, remove the recoil pulley bolt, its standard not reverse thread but its going to be tight. Use a large flat screwdriver or wrench across the pulley to give you leverage to break free the bolt. The bolt has an o-ring that you can get anywhere, take the bolt to a hardware store and get a standard o-ring the correct size.

As for the oil seal, doubt the Honda dealer can get it, but if they can it will be spendy. If i recall correctly the seal installs from the outside, so all you should need is the seal, o-ring, and the gasket for the recoil. I just had mine apart but the seal was good so i didn't have to replace it but almost sure it pressed in from the outside. If you want to be sure just get a left cover gasket to then you will be prepared to take it apart if you have to, or someone with a better memory than me will post... LOL

Before you get any parts ordered though make sure its the seal, take off the recoil and see where the oil is coming down from, if its wet in the center of the recoil pulley around the bolt i would replace the o-ring and clean it all out and run it again and see if that fixes it. I had two 200's that had a bad o-ring from being taken apart a couple times.

Which model 200 is it? M, E, S, ES... www.dratv.com and www.bikebandit.com as well as ebay should have everything you need.

chris_drover
11-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi, thanks for the advice/replies. I picked up all the parts I need/might need the other day. My local honda dealer had the seal in stock but had to order the oring. I'm not sure on the price now, but I had the seal, an oring, a left brake lever, and a set of rear shoes and it all only cost 75$.

The Thing
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
That is a really good price exspecially from honda dealer.