PDA

View Full Version : Atc 110 broken shift arm

cjkokes
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Today I was riding for the first time after rebuild, it ran good and shifted fine then I noticed it wouldnt stay in gear very often. I took it apart and the arm that holds the shift drum in gear was broken again. Now when I got this it had a broken arm so I replaced and now this ones broke, could anyone tell me what is causing this. Shifting down to fast? Worn out clutch? Any ideas would be great.

tri again
11-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I've got one that actually broke off the
alum casting the shft drum stopper bolts to.

Try the search key.
It should give you tons of info real fast.

dustrunner
11-02-2012, 08:28 AM
is that a honda 110 ? i had a kawi klt 200 that did the same exact thing and i was real easy on the shifts ... but i got tired of working on it and swapped it off so i dont know "the rest of the story "

kb0nly
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I have dealt with a 110 and a 125 with this problem, both of which were not being ridden hard. I think its a combination of a really overstiff spring and a soft steel arm that just can't take the leverage against it, they always seem to break at the turn. The last one that broke and was brought to me i found the piece that snapped off in the bottom of the right case and i removed the shift stopper arm or what was left of it and took it to the bench. I beveled the edges of the two pieces to get a good weld between them and then ground both sides smooth and overlayed a small piece of steel on both sides to act like a cross brace and then welded those on and then ground everything down smooth and cleaned it up at the bench grinder with a wire wheel. Those two extra pieces added a ton of strength to it.

Honestly its just a design flaw. If they would have made the arm a little stronger it would be better, like i did. But the problem is if you make that stopper stronger and you shift it hard and pound on it then chances are you will break the boss off the case eventually. I have seen that too. I had to work on a 125 that got snapped off, luckily all the parts were inside and i got them all out, took the whole thing to a local shop that can weld aluminum and had them weld the boss back on, i had to tear it down and remove the clutch assembly and gears to get room so they could weld all the way around it, then i just ran a tap through to clean up the threads then put it back together. So far so good.

Not sure how one could engineer a fix to stop it from happening, its just a bad design.

shortline10
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes a very common prob from the 50cc-125cc honda . I had a brand new trx 90 recently with 0 hours were it broke on the first heat cycle :lol:

cjkokes
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
The Honda dealer said I had something binding in there to cause it to break but now I know I'm not at fault. What are trailprotrailpro opinions on weakening the spring a bit.