PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk, VA Naval base. where to stay?

remsandpets
11-02-2012, 07:12 AM
I will be going to the inactivation ceremonies for the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) on December 1 and looking for a place to stay for 4 adult's. Any one familiar with the area?157287

fabiodriven
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I try to get to VA Beach whenever I can, although this time of year it's not going to be great. It's too bad you're not going in the summer. VA Beach is one of my favorite places to go ever. It's really, really nice.

remsandpets
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I grew up at the beach. Imperial Beach, CA. Not going there for vacation unfortunately. They are taking the first ship I was stationed on out of service and eventually scrapping her. Just going for the day trip from western PA. Overnight then back the next day.

HuffieVA
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Pretty much this time of year you have free reign on the hotels, and can even stay beach side fairly reasonable, as long as you stay in the Atlantic Ave area of the beach its a really nice family friendly area, even for just a day trip you can find something on the boardwalk to enjoy yourself. Norfolk itself is kind of hit/miss, I would stay at the beach and drive to the base from there, if nothing else your kids will enjoy it more.

Also if you were doing a vacation, I would suggest heading a little farther south and hitting the Outerbanks of North Carolina (although they are once again in cleanup mode from the storm) 500% better than VA Beach, no crowds, no high rises just a different kind of beach experience, by far my favorite beaches on the East Coast are between Kill Devil Hills & Cape Hatteras.

dmotoxrider
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM
They just remodeled the NAVY lodge which is on Hampton blvd. It's just a few minutes from the base if that's what your looking for and it's also just a couple minutes from I-64.