PDA

View Full Version : New member and New project.

RHschecter
11-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Just like to say hi and get my post count up so I can post on the rest of the forum. I've been playing with 3 wheelers for a few years now but have been tinkering for a long time now. I have owned 8 trikes so far but I'm down to 4 runners and lots of parts.

I've been collecting parts and doing research for my next project that I will start in January. So far I have an '83 200x and a '85 Honda Rebel 250. I see posts all the time about people trying to figure out how to make their ATVs street legal. Most states simply don't allow such a thing to happen including mine. It is still, however, possible to have a trike. The catch is you have to start with something already road legal, for example a Honda Rebel 250, and convert it into a 3 wheeler or trike.

One of the big road blocks I've seen one peoples ATVs for making them street legal is the tires and the infamous "Not for Highway Use". Well there is a few DOT Approved tires on the market. I plan on using STI Black Diamond ATR Radial ATV Tires.

So if everything goes right, which it usually doesn’t. The front forks from the 200x will bolt right up to the Rebel frame and the back half of the 200x frame, suspension, and plastics will be cut and welded into place. I plan on using the stock 250cc motor since it has more power than the 200x and electric start system to power all the lights. Exhaust is still undecided since I want something forest service approved, but quite since I have to have everything as per the letter of the law. I do plan to get pulled over a bunch in the small town I live in, but being an officer of the law myself it won’t take me for me to explain everything.

I know some of you are thinking why would you want to ride on the highway with a solid rear axle and my short answer is, "I don't". But with my job all of the funs riding areas are trespassing and a no go for me. With a "trike" I can ride on all the forest roads and ORV parks without a worry in the world.

dustrunner
11-04-2012, 07:36 AM
good thinking. keep us informed and pic on the progress of the trike... and welcome

RHschecter
11-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Me and my friends.

RHschecter
11-04-2012, 02:11 PM
My 200x donor.

suzyq1
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
awesome project idea!

falloutboy
11-05-2012, 12:04 AM
that 200x looks pretty nice actually. I wouldn't part it out for this. Use some parts off a newer machine that can be had easily. You just need everything from the swing arm back, correct?

RHschecter
11-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I plan on using most of the 200x so I wanted something fairly nice. The rest of the parts will go to my other 3 wheelers. The goal is to make it look like a 200x with a 250 rebel motor in it.

v30Magna
11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
good idea! I've wanted to do similar with a Honda enduro with tags and just throw in an atc rear. There are plenty of places to ride here, but sometimes there's some state road in between, and I'd like to get back on the right side of the law with that.

250Braap
11-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Ahhh, that's a nice 200x though, but nice project, can't wait to see progress.

RHschecter
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
It will make an even nicer street legal 200x when I'm done. Its just to bad I cant start it till January. I'm going to get new black maeir plastics to really make this look nice. Havent decided if I want to use the 84-85 rear plactic for a differnt look. Thinking about putting a set of Ridged 2x2 off road LED flood lights on the front to use when I am off roading at night and use the DOT front light for road use. I'm also thinking of putting a DC outlet on it to power either a GPS, cell phone, or spotlight. I would like to have a cool gas can setup, or make a rack so I can load up some gear and go into the mountains.

Another Idea I would like to do is put a ball hitch on it and build a small trailer just big enough to carry another 3 wheeler. I think it will be great to see that going down the road.