PDA

View Full Version : 85 Bigred ride report

renotrikeguy
12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Well after working on my 85 bigred for the last year,I finally got
to ride it out in the fields. This is the first real ride on this bike since it was parked by my late uncle back in 1992-93. This thing is awsome. After putting more aggressive tires on it, this thing goes anywhere..
I tried to get it stuck and it wouldn't. Just wish it had a higher top speed.
Reverse is a nice option too. Now all I really need to do is check the shaft drive out. It seemed just a bit loose between shifts. Could just need a bit of grease.

Anybody else want to swap Bigred stories?

And I'm also picking up an 1981 Honda 250r Trike from my
younger brother.. Man life doesnt get better than this.

Bumb
12-03-2003, 05:16 PM
I love my big red. I can do what ever I want only thing ever happend was ran out of gas, and hit a few trees. It has been used many times to pull 4 wheelers that seem to flip over.

Bumb
12-03-2003, 08:29 PM
i got a pic of mine

renotrikeguy
12-03-2003, 09:03 PM
I guess I should have added a picture of my trike huh?

First picture is from the day I bought it. (pitiful)

Second is just after I painted all the sunbaked plastics.

Third is from the first ride in over 10 years.

Fourth is "Extaftian2" showing off for the camera.

renotrikeguy
12-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Got to get the hang of this posting images.

Bumb
12-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Y do trailprotrailpro back tires look big. And thoes pics look totaly diffrent from each other.

renotrikeguy
12-03-2003, 10:02 PM
I hope these pictures post this time.

renotrikeguy
12-03-2003, 10:29 PM
I agree with jeswinehart, Your Bigred is sweet Bumb.
have either of you guys had a problem with your shaft drive? Mine feels like it might be loose in between shifts.

Sorry about getting those images out of sync, It was my first time posting them.

ATCRYDER
12-03-2003, 11:09 PM
:shock:

Didn't that Win the "ugliest trike" contest a while back, Johnny Boy?

jeswinehart
12-03-2003, 11:16 PM
i was given the explanation of it being wayyy to offensive to be in the running,,,, lmao !

Bumb
12-04-2003, 07:49 AM
thanks, i have not any trubbles with any thing besides my brakes but i got that fixed. I think when i was not looking for ones messed with them. And that speedometer is nomore. Cuse when they messed with my brakes I parked on a hill top and it rolled downt he the parking brake on. Hit a playhouse and broke in a few peaces.

mudslinger
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
What tires did you put on your big red ?

renotrikeguy
12-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Im running Kenda "Bearclaws" on the rear. They are the 25X12.5X9's

These things are great. they go throught mud/sand and I hope snow without any complaints.

mudslinger
12-05-2003, 01:48 AM
The bearclaws are about 10lbs heavier then stock. Do you notice much difference in power vs. the stock tires ? Do they clean them self out good in the mud ?

renotrikeguy
12-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Well this is the first time I have ridden this trike. So I wouldn't be able to tell any difference in the two brands of tires. I do know that my nephew riding a 185s with 18x10x8 knobbies will easily pull away from me on the Bigred. I look at the Bigred as more of a utility trike, and not as a speed demon.

Well I'm off to California to pick up my 81 250r trike...

Later all ....

Bumb
12-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Yea speaking of tires what tires should i get. I do a little bid of mud riding like riding in the snow. What would be the best tire for me.

renotrikeguy
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Updated report 12/10/03

Took the Bigred out for the second ride today.

After it snowing for a good part of the morning and melting away in early afternoon, we had some excellent riding conditions. There were puddles of mud all over the place. So I took the nephew out and rode around a small track close to our house.

Let me tell you those BearClaws on the back of the 250es are awsome. They had no problems finding traction. Once up to speed the tires started cleaning themselves out and I was covered in mud. I tried to get this thing stuck but still it wasn't going to happen. Even stopped half way up a hill and took off again in first gear to see if I could get stuck, nothing..

So if your wanting a decent pair of rear tires for your BigRed or other type of ATV I'd recomend the Kenda Bearclaws. And their 6 ply to boot.

Hope I didn't bore you guys to death.

atvmax5
12-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Recently i got an 1986 Honda 250ES big red, it's in good shape, all stock 3 wheeler, excpet bad part is a little bent front rack, anyone got for sale front rack on my 250ES big red, i will pay you up 50 buck for front rack with no damage please. Thanks Kevin.

please write PM to me thanks.

1987 atc 250sx
1987 atc 200X
1986 ATC 250ES big red (Thanks to FXR Bob sold big red to me)
1986 fourtrax 126
lt 80 fast little bike.

Two For sale is my mint 1987 ATC 200X and my mint fourtrax 125, if interesting e-mail to me Atvmax6@aol.com with the details

Bumb
12-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Got a few more pics of the bigred if u wanna see them ill email them to you or send them over AIM. My AIM name is nuffinbutaidiot. Or msn my email is Imabumb@hotmail.com.

renotrikeguy
12-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Right on !!..

Send me all the pictures you want Bumb.. The email address I have posted on here should work.

atcmatt
12-15-2003, 05:14 AM
Yeah Bumb can ya send a few pics my way please???

mattmendel@optusnet.com.au

Clioboy1200
12-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Ah, the Big Red.

I bought mine from a mate for £50. I put new back tyres on it, strapped an old car battery to the back to start it and that was all. It always jumped out of 1st and 2nd, but it was a blast.

I remember one time me and my mate (who was on a 160 quad) took a spin around the local forest park in the middle of the night. I was in front and my headlight bulb blew, so I went head on into a tree (had serious scrapes ar$e somehow!). No harm done though its unbelievable how much of a workhorse them bikes are.

renotrikeguy
12-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Well after it rained for alomst 10 hours staight I decided to go ride the Bigred again. Everything was going great until I tried to go up this steeper hill. Half way up the hill my trike stopped. And started to slide back down. Towards the bottom of the hill the bike started to turn itself sideways.

The fact that the front tire was so caked with mud wasn't helping. Once I got to bottom of the hill I had to spend about 20 minutes cleaning the mud from all three tires. And that didn't help either, after the bike rolled 5 feet the tires were caked up again. So my nephew and I decided to try and push the thing up a smaller incline just to get it out of the gulley it was in..

You should have seen us, Brandon (the nephew) was working the throttle and I was behind trying to keep my footing and push at the same time. This was some of the stickier mud I have seen. Well we finally got the Bigred out of the gulley. But that motor was struggling in first just keeping the tires moving.

After we got this thing going again, we left that area and rode to a small track nearer to our house. On the way to the smaller track we hit every mud puddle we could to help clear the tires. Mud flying everywhere and covering us, it was great. We didn't spend much time at the second track because it started to rain a bit harder and I was getting hungry. So it was time to go home and eat.

When we got home we stood there and laughed at how muddy both of us were. Good thing we had a carport to sort of clean our selves under.
It was another good ride in my opinion, Having more horsepower to spin those tires would have been a plus. So maybe an engine rebuild could be in this things future.