PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo kit on an old quad?

iharthoorn
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I have never heard of anyone doing this, but I wondered if it would be possible to take an old quad, maybe a fourtrax or something, and somehow fit a [Edit] ::Missile:: kit on it. That would...sort of...be a three wheeler. Like a backwards three wheeler. Any input? I'm looking for a unique project, and if I can find enough info, this could be it. Sort of a canniballistic job, but I know that some of the first honda quads were really similar to the ATCs. Anybody know which trikes may have shared rear end parts with quads? If any? Been thinking about this for a long time. I'll post pics if I ever find a way to get it done.

dustrunner
11-05-2012, 06:30 PM
i dont know what a torpedo kit is but you say backwards 3 wheeler. the big 4 dabbled with those for a bit but the one wheel out back wasnt sufficient for pushing as traction was not very good especially goung up a hill... not sure if this is what your thinking = just saying...

iharthoorn
11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
i dont know what a torpedo kit is but you say backwards 3 wheeler. the big 4 dabbled with those for a bit but the one wheel out back wasnt sufficient for pushing as traction was not very good especially goung up a hill... not sure if this is what your thinking = just saying...

My apologies, it was called a missile kit. Like a conversion into a fat tired dirtbike. I've heard them called a "big wheel". That aside, do you have any more information on these "backwards three wheelers"? They may not be very practical, but I'm interested.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Kinda like a Can-Am Spyder??? I get ya. Can't say I've ever seen one or heard of anyone trying that on a quad. Just learned about the Missile kit recently myself. Personally, I would never do that to my babies.

I kind of agree with 12345...While it seems to work very well on the street, (I hear those Spyders handle like they are on rails), I'm not sure how well it would do in the off-road environment. Purely my unfounded opinion..just hypothesizing out loud...

dustrunner
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
the big wheel is made by yamaha .. honda made a "fat cat" but it only has 2 atv tires in line like a motorcycle... years ago 1985 ish in dirt wheels on the front cover they had a "reverse atc" but as mentioned earlier just didnt draw alot of buyers ... go ahead and make one.. maybe it would start a new trend.. hehe and we would love the pics.....

iharthoorn
11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I see what you guys are saying about the issues with offroad handling, having the same drag, but with one wheel drive instead of two, and a lot of weight shifted forward. Anybody have pics of this "reverse atc"? I can't find any. I came across this though http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/335826/110CC-QUAD-BIKE-3-WHEEL-CA8110CC-.html
I guess I'm picturing something similar, but with dirt tires.

falloutboy
11-06-2012, 04:11 AM
To answer the original question, the 86 TRX 250R's shared their swing arm with the 86 ATC 250r, so in theory it could be done. I don't think anything is permanently changed, so you could always go back if it wasn't any good. You're be after a Missile Engineering kit. I say try it. Might be fun as hell on the ice...

fabiodriven
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
It's a terrible idea and it's been gone over here before. I'll dig up the thread when I get to my computer today.

fabiodriven
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/137015-Has-anyone-ever-built-an-off-road-trike-like-this?highlight=backwards+trike

iharthoorn
11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the link, Fabiodriven. Still considering it, since the girl wants a four wheeler anyway, so I could always convert it back if I just used the missile kit. Fun to try though, if I can get my hands on an 86 trx250r and the proper goodies. If I can get it done eventually i'll post pics. Anyone have ideas on how I could do a 3x3? Would be a lot easier with a chain drive 4x4 conversion. Shaft drive would be tough. If I can find a way to make one that is 3x3 I plan to try it. Think it would be a blast

RapidRick
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Someone made a conversion of a Yamaha quad into a reverse threewheeler which was covered in an old dirtwheels or some such magazine. I have the article at home and have digitized it. I'll post it this afternoon. I was going to do the conversion and had all the parts for the rear suspension but never took the plunge. I was actually going to use the 250R shock and linkage with parts of a FatCat swingarm to finish it off. Still have the swinger, hub etc. but not the TRX. Sold it for an XR500. FatCat stuff has to go!

fabiodriven
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I think that article may be in the link I posted Rick.

RapidRick
11-08-2012, 05:06 AM
You are correct it's there. The test riders really didn't like it did they.

dustrunner
11-08-2012, 07:13 AM
im going into the vault and see if i still have the mag....

sledcrazyinCT
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I wish I still had all my Dirt Wheels but they have been gone 20+ years already.

I remember the write up saying the turning radius absolutely sucked!

Jon Boy
11-08-2012, 05:09 PM
he doesn't have it anymore, but my buddy's older polaris trailboss? had a front chain set-up on it's 4x4's. so that could be a machine to think about for a reverse 3x3. the thought had crossed my mind (and i'm sure others have thought about it too) to use a normal 3wheeler with one of those Christini 2x2 kits for a motorcycle for a normal 3x3 3wheeler. i know there's a Honda 50? minibike made into a reverse 3wheeler i've seen in the Peckfitz 3.0 youtube video (can't find a pic so you'd have to watch the vid i guess). looks funky to me and i'd probibly never own one, but i do kinda like it. :lol:

min 1:28 you can barely see it, but min 5:48 is the best shot of it. :beer
http://youtu.be/BDnmT5L1wuY

iharthoorn
11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the vid, Jon Boy. That's pretty weird. Not sure what parts he used to make it, but looks like the whole axle pivots? I could see it getting a little tippy in the corners. Pretty cool though. Still have my xr50r from when I was a kid. they have quite a bit of punch for their size.

Jon Boy
11-09-2012, 11:38 AM
i know it looks like it pivots the whole axle, but it steers like normal. just looks funky as heck. :lol: :beer

iharthoorn
11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
What posessed the guy who made that? I never would have thought of leaving the forks intact like that. Not saying it's a bad thing. Wish I could have a go on it.