PDA

View Full Version : YTM200E idles WAY too high.

lakesidewelding
11-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Hey Guys... new here. I have an '84 YTM200E, and when I start it, it idles crazy high. If I slightly restrict the air flow going in the carb, it loweres, but is very chokey. (is that a word?) It was running OK without an air cleaner, but put one on, and it would race. Now it's all the time. I have the idle screw in all the way, and tried various mixture screw setting with no luck. Could it be the needle valve seat?

Also, the mix screw is on the bottom, nest to the fuel bowl, right? There s a screw on the side, where you'd normally expect to find the mixture screw, but it's not it. I tried removing the choke slide, and put a bolt in the hole, and it kinda worked, but right back to crazy idle. What to do?

Also, Where would a good donor carb come from? I see BW200 has a clamp on flange, so that's out.

dustrunner
11-07-2012, 01:18 PM
did it ever run good and now this is happening or has it always idled hi ?

fabiodriven
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I have the idle screw in all the way

If you are talking about the idle adjustment screw, not the "air screw" or whatever those carbs have (I'm not completely familiar), and you did indeed turn the screw all the way in, you have effectively turned the idle all the way up. Clockwise (in) raises the idle and counter-clockwise (out) lowers it.

lakesidewelding
11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
It used to run OK, then decide to rev way up, then be fine. Seemed like when it was low on gas, or so I thought. Now it is just all the time.

I tried the air screw on the bottom all the way in, as well as 2 1/2 turns out, to no effect really. The throttle cable is a little tempermental. If I move it around, it changes the idle as well. I guess I should change that, too. The choke cable has a bit of slop in it too, and doesn't want to pull out more than a 1/4 of the way.

I had read the rebuild kit for the Timberwolf is the way to go for a rebuild.... thoughts/feelings?

maxdallasfan
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
How is your oil level?

lakesidewelding
11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
oil's fine. Love the Marty Feldman avatar by the way!!!

dustrunner
11-07-2012, 09:47 PM
well sounds lke your cables are shot and it was low on gas and then you adjusted all the jets and now your wondering whats wrong... fill it with gas , clean the carb and set the jets 1 1/2 turns out ( check for air screw settings= factory set )for starters and that should get it 2 run so you can fine tune it... good luck

lakesidewelding
11-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input... I really appreciate it.

Jason125m
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
You have an air leak.... i'll bet my R on it. Spray wd around the carb to find it ..

if it was your needle valve seat it would piss gas out of the overflow.

lakesidewelding
11-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh yes, she pisses as well. And also, I disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle lever, and no change in crazy rev. I had originally thought air leak, but the manifold boot is beautiful, and seal seems good. I will double check that as well. Thanks for the thought!

lakesidewelding
11-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Took the carb off and checked the needle seat/valve, and is in working order. I think I am sucking air through the choke cable. I took off the choke cable and blocked off the port and the idle went down, but not all the way. I think the throttle cable is bad, too. They're cheap fixes, and seem like a good direction to go in.

just ben
11-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't recall the air screw being on the bottom,I know on my ytm its on the left side of the carb. I know its common on the knock of carbs for the air screw to be on the bottom,if you have a chinese carb on it good luck. check to be sure the slide is returning all the way,all it takes is one broken wire in the cable to hold it up.

lakesidewelding
11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
The carb is a Mikuni. The fuel bowl is kinda notched around it, so you have to take the carb off to get to it Pain in the ass, really. There is a screw where the adjustment screw is on every other bike I've ever worked on, but it seems like it is just an air port... like for linking multiple carbs together, I am guessing. If you loosen that screw, there is no spring behind it, and it just sucks air, as it is literally just a bolt hole. Weird wild stuff.

Chunkers101
12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
The idle screw should have like a plastic nob on it, Start it, Turn that bolt out ti'll it dies, turn it in half a turn, then adjust from there, thats how i did it.