PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! 84 Big red 200es

J-Fish
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I just got this trike today... And it's got 160lbs of compression.. I have adjusted valves .. Has goood spark.. Cleaned gas tank and carb completely and it still won't fire... Even if I spray fluid in back of carb no go... Any suggestions? It's getting fuel and if I cover will air filter goes with my hand... My hand gets wet but no fire... Timing???

kb0nly
11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I would bet timing... And also make sure that the valves are right, i know you said you adjusted them, but go over them again and spin the engine over while watching the lifters and make sure they are moving, wouldn't be the first time i heard of one with a stuck valve that preventing it from running.

If you put a little gas down the plug hole and put the plug back in and try it then will it fire at all? If not then it HAS to be timing.

J-Fish
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM
That was I was thinking.. Valves are set and working properly.. What I couldn't find out was how to time... I looked at your manual.. The crankshaft timing mark I don't recall seeing on mine even after I pulled off pull start.. I'll have to look again.. So line that with t and take all of the pulsing system off and there is a 0 mark on cam sprocket and that's tdc? No it won't fire spraying ether under plug..will the pulsing system only go on one way? You can't have that backward.. Correct?

J-Fish
11-07-2012, 08:20 PM
That was I was thinking.. Valves are set and working properly.. What I couldn't find out was how to time... I looked at your manual.. The crankshaft timing mark I don't recall seeing on mine even after I pulled off pull start.. I'll have to look again.. So line that with t and take all of the pulsing system off and there is a 0 mark on cam sprocket and that's tdc? No it won't fire spraying ether under plug..will the pulsing system only go on one way? You can't have that backward.. Correct?

dustrunner
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
switchs all in good shape ? coil wire to plug is good ? stater wiring was hooked up ?

J-Fish
11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
That's all electrical stuff.. I have good strong spark.. I have a timing issue... About to tear into it more.. What I would like to know is how does the pulse generator and stator communicate.. Maybe my ignition timing is off but from what I've read it's non adjustable... Can the pulse coil be off 180? Thanks

J-Fish
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
UPDATE... It is in perfect time.. Marks lined up on compression stroke.. So..

Has good blue spark
Has 160lbs of compression
In time
Carb and tank both cleaned
Getting gas
Valves adjusted to .003 intake .004 ex... At tdc on compression stroke
Valves moving up and down...

Still no fire!!!!!

Possibilities

Maybe not enough power to spark?? Looks strong and blue.. Ignites starting fluid when sprayed on it...
Fire timing off??? Don't think that's adjustable though

Or

Possessed ?

kb0nly
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Ok, if you got a good hefty blue spark i doubt its getting swamped under compression and not firing. I bet its still timing somehow...

Firing timing is adjustable by moving the pickup at the advancer.

Above the recoil starter you will see a round plug with a slot in it, remove that plug it just turns out as its a threaded plug. Shine a flashlight in there and slowly turn the engine over, if you still have the recoil off then lift and hold up the compression release lever up on the head, then slowly rotate it by turning the recoil pulley with a screwdriver across the slots or i like to put a strap wrench on it, turn it slowly and you will see a Line on the flywheel edge then a letter F then a line then the letter T.

The T is top dead center, you will see a pointed ridge of the case that acts as a pointer for that opening, line that up with the T, now check your valve adjustments again. Ok now that you know the valves are dead on and we can't question that anymore...

Rotate it again till you line up the mark with the F on the flywheel. Once the F is lined up look at the spark advancer on the camshaft. There is a line on the advancer magnet and a line on the black plastic pickup, with the flywheel at the F mark those two should be lined up. Are they lined up? If not, loosen the screws that hold the metal plate that the black plastic pickup is mounted to, turn the metal plate to line up the pickup with the advancer and then retighten the screws.

After you do all that for sure you are timed correctly and adjusted correctly on the valves.

atcuknowme
11-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Just hope and pray that you can get into the main forum......that's where everyone who probably can help you is. I plan on waiting two months and it wont come quick enough b/c i have lots of atc questions.

kb0nly
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
You saying i don't know nothing?? LOL

atcuknowme... Post in the New Member Discussion, guys like me that do know how to fix them tend to hit the New Posts when we check in here and we will see your posts, just title it correctly so we catch it. Don't say New Guy With Questions, that comes up a lot and gets lost. Title it pertaining your problem! We all had to do, thats how the cookie crumbles.

kb0nly
11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
J-Fish... Did you check the firing timing? Is it running now?

I have been waiting for you to post back on this to see where you were at with it.