PDA

View Full Version : 83 ATC 185s front and rear sprocket. HELP!

Chris Holden
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I just purchased a brand new front and rear sprocket for my 185s, but not too sure what im doing, if youve ever done this job yourself please help especially if you have pictures on it!

dustrunner
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
the front is real easy. remove the sprocket cover and then the 2 10 or 12 mm ( socket size ) bolts on the sprocket locking plate and pull it off... really easy.. the rear should unbolt off the sprocket flange then pull the wheel and hub and remove... im not sure if the sprocket will come directly off the sprocket flange of if you have to pull the axle ?? been 27 years sence i played with one ... good luck

Chris Holden
11-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Hey thanks a lot, i ended up finding a user manual for my wheeler online and it doesnt look so bad to do after all lol and yeah im pretty sure i have to pull the axle

RHschecter
11-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Take off the hubs and the 2 big nuts on the axle. Take the master link off the chain and get it out of the way. You should already have the chain cover off to do that. Then slide the axle out and change the sproket. Then clean, inspect, replace if worn, and lube the bearings and your good to go. If your having trouble sliding the axle out then the O-ring on the brake drum is binding and you should pull the brake cover off and work the drum off. Since you have the brake cover off, clean, inpect, replance if worn, and reassemble. Freshly lubed bearings and fresh brakes make it ride and stop much better.

sircheifsalott
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/Honda_ATC185s_200_Service_Manual.pdf <--------- that link will tell you the how to for anything on your 185

Chris Holden
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, I got the job done in a couple hours on saturday, it turns the axle didnt needed to be pulled to remove the rear sprocket there was a circlip infront of that just needed to be removed then just unbolted the sprocket and it came off the axle.