PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Carb tuning and running.

CRJ
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I bought a 82 110 atc, in great shape. I recently rebuilt the carb with a kit, and am still having the same issue. The bike idles fine with choke off, and usually only need choke to start when its very cold. When driving with the choke on, it runs rich but has good power, when i turn the choke off i can get it to rev up, but if you pin it from idle or pin it with a load on, the motor just bogs big time, to the point that it will die if you dont let off.

Im currently forced to flip the choke on if im going up-hill, and ive been having to drive it in low to get any torque out of it. it has power, i pulled a friends pickup at 25mph around my block on a bet, but i just cant get this carb dialed in. I have the shop manual and folowed it to a T, with no luck!

Is it getting too much fuel? too little? I adjusted the needle up a notch to let more gas in, no difference. adjusted it deeper in the bowl, no difference.

Im at a loss as it idles and runs great with choke on, and if im at speed and flip the choke off, it revs out, but if the choke is off and i want to hit it in any of the gears, she just goes BOOOOOAAAWWWW and slows down.

Thanks for any help!

shortline10
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
You dont have enough intake back pressure if it needs the choke on to run better . Check all the air filter connections to make sure of no leaks , good stock filter and even the little drain on the bottom of the filter box needs the pinch hose for it to run right also make sure the filter box is connected to the frame tube .

CRJ
11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
You dont have enough intake back pressure if it needs the choke on to run better . Check all the air filter connections to make sure of no leaks , good stock filter and even the little drain on the bottom of the filter box needs the pinch hose for it to run right also make sure the filter box is connected to the frame tube .

OK so too much air. Ill check the fitment on the box, as i had it off to replace the air filter a few days ago.

I'll report back when i know.

shortline10
11-10-2012, 02:44 PM
You can also try and lower the needle valve clip a couple notches to see if that clears it up .

OK so too much air. Ill check the fitment on the box, as i had it off to replace the air filter a few days ago.

I'll report back when i know.

CRJ
11-10-2012, 03:18 PM
You can also try and lower the needle valve clip a couple notches to see if that clears it up .

Ive gone from top to bottom on the clip, but that was before the rebuild. tomorrow im going to dive into it, ill be sure to post any findings.

CRJ
11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Well after seating the airbox and oiling the air filter, it has seemed to help some. Theres still a few things wonky about this carb, but i gave it a good cleaning and it seemed to help. i also ran seafoam down the slide and through the bowl, which also helped the system clean out. Smoked a bunch which tells me its pretty dirty inside.