PDA

View Full Version : Work injury forces a few days off, SWEET! Well not really.

Kasper1974
11-13-2012, 03:54 PM
So it seems that I have a couple days off due to 2nd. degree burns to my right arm and right side of my face. Long story short, I had one of the repo trucks in the shop Friday to get a new radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, and belt put in....................$1600.00 and change. So I take it out Monday and I notice it is getting hot in slow traffic and at idle (while in Liberty City of course)! So I pull into a parking lot to check it out, left it running, pop the hood and turn the radiator cap to the first step to release the pressure, so far so good, all pressure is released so I remove the cap all the way. Then I check to see if the fan is spinning at all, its barely turning so I already know there is a problem there. I then go to see how low the radiator is and as Im pulling myself up onto the bumper.....................out of nowhere it gargles, burps or whatever and sends a geyser of steam and coolant on me, I was able to block most of it from my face with my arm (which got the worst, Thank God!) but it still got my lips, eye, and most of my cheek.

Luckily I was in a Walgreens parking lot. I immediatly took off my shirt and blotted the coolant off of me. I knew better than to wipe it and disturb the skin, I then went rite into Walgreens and got some neosporin and applied it heavily. Filled the radiator with water and headed back to Broward, lets just say the shop didnt get candid greeting. LOL. went to the Urgent Care center who is no stranger to our company. LOL. About an hour and a half had passed by now. There were really surprised at how good the burns looked considering the time that passed. I wasnt so much worried about my arm but my face and eye would be BAD. The doctor was very concerned about the eye and guaranteed me my face would be blistered and eye swollen shut by morning.

Went home with my prescriptions and followed doctors orders. Woke up to be PLESANTLY surprised, no blistering on my face at all! Eye swollen slightly with a little bit of discharge. Went in for the follow up and the doctor was amazed and when we unwrapped the arm..................only minor blistering and not even where we had expected it to be the worst. Eye sight still 20/20 with no permanant damage. After speaking with the doctor for a while we figure it was the quick application of the neosporin after it happened and the fact that my skin is pretty tough from the mechanic work, painting, and chemical exposure that my hobbies expose me to. I my line of work, I never thought this is what would put me down for a couple of days, but luckily no major damage and I'll be back at it soon.

TAKE THIS AS A LESSON, BE CAREFULL OUT THERE GUYS, THIS COULD HAPPEN TO ANYBODY. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. Sure, I could have gone about checking it out differently, but I've done it this way for many years and never had an issue............................it only takes once to bite you.

tri again
11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Great news.
Man o man that coulda been waaaay worse.

Be very careful watching for infection.
Bacteria love burns.

Some of the other ez killers are metallic jewelry, wedding rings shorting out electrical connectors
and long hair into fan belts.

Kasper1974
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Yep, had a friend nearly loose his finger from a ring shorthing out a battery...........................that was BAD!