PDA

View Full Version : '83 185s decompression recoil fix HOOK PLATE, RUBBER... UPDATE w/ PICS

sammiefish
11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
OK, so ive torn into my recoil... pretty much have it torn down and put back...

automatic compression release stuff:
when installing the friction spring, the hook plate case (yellow ring) and the hook plate...
there is a hook plate cushion or also called hook plate rubber... (manual vs. oem parts list)
of course mine is gone

does anyone have a picture of this hook plate rubber (part# 623499 )... or can you tell me its location
or function... and please dont tell me it cushions the hook plate... : )

UPDATE: SEE BELOW

sammiefish
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM
UPDATE: PLEASE READ TO BOTTOM.... thats where my trouble is....

Below I have CAPITALIZED the Honda OEM part names as I find them described

first... the recoil, reassembled without the decompression ring assy called the: RING, HOOK CASE
you see it to the R side....

place the SPRING, FRICTION over the PULLEY

leave the top tab of the SPRING, FRICTION up above the top of the PULLEY for later engagement with the RING, HOOK CASE
It does not matter which side of the SPRING, FRICTION is up or down... either way gives the correct orientation

then, you see the RING, HOOK CASE with the PLATE, HOOK ; the decompression cable end is visible at its keeper

you need to place the PLATE HOOK groove over the tab in the RING, HOOK CASE
you can see the yellow plastic RING, HOOK CASE tab in the groove of the PLATE, HOOK

when you insert the RING, HOOK CASE into the assembly you get the SPRING, FRICTION tab you pulled up earlier
into the groove of the RING, HOOK CASE

now it is in ... BUT, dont try to test the decompression system (or pull the cord) until you have secured the PLATE, RECOIL GASKET

NOW, this is all fine and good... but Im missing a part....
part #22, the HOOK PLATE, RUBBER

What is this thing, what does it do, where does it go, does anyone know ANYTHING about it???
I think it was the decomp system that jammed me up to begin with...
when took the recoil off the motor it wound back up fast and the handle whacked me in the head!! :shiftyeyes:

oldsguru
11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I wondered what it was as well. My entire decompression system was missing in the recoil when I obught my ATC200. I bought a used recoil off of ebay with all of the parts intact, except for the rubber. Is it possible that the rubber referred to in the exploded parts list is the grommet that surrounds the cable that goes into the recoil housing? By the way, my recoil functions perfectly.

sammiefish
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Is it possible that the rubber referred to in the exploded parts list is the grommet that surrounds the cable that goes into the recoil housing?

I think it is an actual part as the rendering does not look at all like the cable boot and you also observe the boot as part of the CABLE, DECOMPRESSION

Im getting the feeling that this part is like the old question...
"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop"..........
"The world may never know"

I did, however, get 'er in... she's workin' but I think I'd like to replace the 2 parts the dawgs hit... just a little to ragged for me...
but hey... that's an easy job for sure now... :)

RapidRick
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
The parts # 5 and 7 take quite a bit of abuse.

sammiefish
11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
I cant speak to my spring #5 but I can say #7 and #17 are in line for replacement!!

pinkhippo1
03-04-2016, 09:31 PM
I've been trying to find a rubber hook plate recently and it's been a pain. . Everywhere I look there no longer available.