PDA

View Full Version : Rebulding 250SX, help!

bbechtel16
10-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I am planning on "rebuilding" my sx this winter, or if I don't have any money, next summer. I am planning on buying a top-end kit and a carb rebuild kit so far. I was wondering if I should bother with the complete gasket set or not, and what brands and such I should go with. Also, what other parts should I consider replacing? And finally, does anyone know of a high compression piston for this machine, (non-overbore, unless its a really worthwhile overbore)

Thanks,

BB

bbechtel16
10-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Please help, advice!

Billy Golightly
10-12-2002, 02:37 PM
I personally like "Vesrah" gaskets. OEM are definetly good too, they just cost an arm and a leg. I don't know the condition of your machine, but If its the first time its been apart I would definetly do Valve guide seals, Piston, rings, wristpin. If you have the spare cash go ahead and get new valve springs, and valves too. If your going to tear into it might as well do it right so you don't have to do it again soon. As for the overbore, again I don't know the internals of your machine but you might have to go overbore if your cylinder is wore out of shape (Very possible depending on how the machine has been ran/taken care of). Get either a Honda piston, or a Wiseco. I don't believe anyone else makes them for the 250sx.

bbechtel16
10-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot man, so you don't know of any bigbore kits? (blast).

My nieghbor and I went riding today at our friends house, hes got a 250R, ATC style. But it's broke. Shortly after he got it, I think it was Wednesday, I rode with him and his clutch failed to work, plates stuck together. He fixed that Saturday night, well auctually his dad did. The problem was the case had a small crack in it when he bought it, from a snapped chain, but the crack got bigger, and it broke a peice with the clutch or something, so they were able to rig it with some bolts and metal pieces, (after he found out how much a new case was, haha). Anyway, him and Tyler (a friend of ours) were riding it on Sunday after it was fixed and he shifted into second and it died, rings colapsed, dug into the cylinder, and the Wiseco piston. He just isn't having good luck with this thing.