PDA

View Full Version : No banshee VIN number??? HELP!

rg97
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
hi, just bought a banshee, its a 1997, and it has a bill of sale, but I cannot find the VIN on the frame. I'm trying to make sure that the banshee is not stolen by comparing the bill of sale VIN with the actual frame. the engine # matches, but im still not sure... I know where the VIN is supposed to be, but i cannot find it. i was told by the PO that it was an aftermarket frame, but it sure looks like an OEM. I tried to provide as much detail as possible. ask any Q's you want. any help is appreciated
~RG

manbearpig
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
pictures are needed. sundahl made and modified frames for long travel setups

sp8twn
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Is the frame powdercoated? cuz that kills serial numbers!

dustrunner
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
i believe the serial # would be on the bottom left side of the frame under the shifter if memory is working...

ezmoney1979
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
When I bought a Banshee years ago I had to scrape off the powdercoat so the state police could inspect the VIN to make sure wasnt stolen. It was lame because the frame was a nice blue color and there was always a rust spot, and yes under the shifter.

rg97
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Like I said, I know where the # is supposed to be, right under the shifter. The paint is a metallic silver, and im pretty sure it hasnt ben powdercoated. Just to make sure though, I took some 180 grit paper and ground down under the shifter until I got to the bare metal. Nothing, not even a remnant of a #...

Mosh
11-24-2012, 02:22 PM
More than likely it is a factory replacement frame. When you buy a new one they come from Yamaha with no vin on the frame. I would guess it may have been new with insurance at one time got torn up nd insurance bought a new frame for repairs.

bkm
11-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Mosh is correct. My buddy bought a brand new '99 and rolled it two weeks later. The replacement frame that the dealer installed came without a VIN number. His insurance company however did include a notorized letter stating that the bike had a factory replacement frame without VIN mumbers, so he could still register the bike or sell it without problems.