PDA

View Full Version : Cable or Satellite? Would like your opinion

MRSOUND
11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
So currently we have cable (comcast) as our tv/internet supplier. Have been entertaining the idea of getting satellite to possibly save some green :). I have already talked to a Direct TV rep and I can save a substantial amount (almost $50/month) :Bouncethe first year over cable with an "introductory offer". Of course after the first year price goes up some but still less than what I'm paying now. Have not talked to any reps about Dish network yet. So what I'm looking for is what's your experience with satellite providers (Direct/Dish/others?). Is one better than the other? Why? Signal problems? Customer service? Pros/cons over cable? Is cable still the best option? Package wise I like having the channels in HD along with channels like Speed, NFL network, Discovery, TLC, etc. Don't need HBO, Max, or all the premium movie channels. Tell me what you know, I'd like to make a decision in the very near future while they got these holiday specials going on if I'm gonna change.

Mosh
11-21-2012, 11:46 AM
If you read the fine print, you will see that most times, they charge you for every reciever that is needed for Hidef or tivo in every room you want it. When it snows or rains, you will get a crappy signal at times. Also, many times your local cable provider will have a stronghold on internet service in particular areas and will not let satelite providers issue you internet service. That can be avoided if you have a tethering smartphone with a good data plan to piggy back to your PC.
Then there is the constant "contract channels' that hold out and you may lose channels like AMC and the like until they reach an agreement with the provider.

Also be aware, once you call these guys and inquire about service, they will call you 20 times a freakin day trying to get you to sign up, in which you will spend 20 minutes on the phone getting removed from their call list and they will still call you everyday for up to 2 weeks after your request removal.

We just went through this a month ago, and really is was not worth it for us. Moreso because of signal loss, reciever fees and no internet service.
In the end we just threatened to drop the cable service and they lowered the bill...:rolleyes:

kb0nly
11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
The worst part about satellite, they sign you up at one price, and half a year later your paying another...

My cable here has been rock solid price and signal wise for over five years.

MRSOUND
11-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I talked to the gal from Direct TV while at Sam's club picking up food supplies for hunting camp. She didn't get any of my info (though she tried) because I didn't want the hounding Mosh mentioned. I plan on keeping comcast's internet service unless someone has a better alternative. We do have the "hot spots" for our phones but I'm afraid of data usage (I'm on here way too much). Plus if the wife or I aren't home and the kids need access for school work it will be a problem. Plus we stream netflicks not sure how well that would work with the hot spot. Anyway, no positives yet? Keep it coming, I know there are folks out there who swear by their satellite, and those who swear at it. Talk to me!

maxdallasfan
11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I've had DirecTV since 2001 and my price has never gone up. Plus, I negotiate the NFL Sunday Ticket price every year. They always give me a discount. Showtime and HBO too. Plus, if your power goes out, you can still watch TV. :)

PM Me if you get it.....use my name as a referral and I geet $100 off my bill!!

MRSOUND
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Got ya on the referral as long as the wife don't promise it to anyone. How do you still watch tv if there is no power though:wondering

maxdallasfan
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
just plug your tv and the DirecTV receiver into a generator. The satellite signal is always on.

One thing, get HD, because the HD signal is stronger and never goes out due to weather. The standard signal goes out when a thick storm roles through.

El Camexican
11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I can’t tell you about prices and service up there, but as far as reception is concerned I am VERY happy with my SKY satellite. It has been more reliable that my cable was and I can only recall twice in two years that I lost the signal for more than a few seconds due to weather. Price is the same as cable here, but I get an HD package and way more channels as well. Now about the weather issue, can someone educate me here? My old cable provider has a tower a few miles from here, so I assume that my cable (at least the US channels) was originating from a satellite signal in the first place and then being sent by cable to my TV, so if that’s true how can the cable guys claim to be more reliable that the satellite guys in a storm?

M.Pargiello
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I recently got rid of my cable, Never watch TV. But I do know that I hate satellite.

tri again
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I called cable when my neighbor was trying to get my to go DISH and cable lowered my bill by 10 bucks but in reality it was 2$.

My internet with the phone co is 29$ per month but always costs 50+.
There's no way to guess what they really cost.
GF has direct and the channels are splattered and jump from 1-2-3-4-5 etc to 267, 274, 292 but there's prob a way to select what channels you actually get instead of surfing tons of channels you don't get.

I LOVE it when the commercials come on and they are WAY louder, like on dish!

I watch about 5 channels but have to pay for 100 to get discovery and history etc.

If I didn't get stuck in my chair for days at a time, I'd look into netzero for unmlimited phone and data and just watch internet tv broadcasts.

as far as power out, I have a little 12 volt tv but hook it to one of those jumper cable boxes that has cigarette lighter plug ins and either hook to cable 'wire' without the box if it's working or roof antenna. Yupp, the regular old corroded aluminum roof ant from the 60's and get like 9 channels.
That little thing will run for days, and lights the room too when the power's out.

yeah, why is 29$ a month really 52?

Can't wait until we can pick just the channels we want instead of 'packages'.

Mosh
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Thats the thing..Most people are bundled. When I asked about sat TV, they could not offer internet or phone, thats fine use the cells..But when I went to drop the phone and TV from cable, only leaving internet, they wanted just about as much for internet alone, as they did with TV phone and cable service bundled..Thats when it became evident to me they had a stranglehold on internet in the area, strictly to force people to stay with them. And all the satelite providers were forbidden to offer internet in our area.
The only option I had was to up the data on the cell plan and run the PC off hotspot. In the end it would have cost more.

And as far as reception, my in laws have a dish. When you get 3 inches of snow laying on that thing, it don't pick up. To you guys out west..not an issue.

tri again
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I remember a couple inches of ice on my 'dish' but it still worked.
Sprayed it with a hose to clear it/melt it.
Never tap on them and mess up the alignment or it costs a service call.

Yupp, the bundle plans, bait n' switch, 29$ is really 50 and on and on.

MRSOUND
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Glamy -Paying $162/month for tv & internet. Here's the breakdown directly off my bill.

Standard Cable 67.70
Digital Preferred 17.95
DVR Service 10.00
Digital Adapter Service 1.99
Digital Adapter Service 0.00
2 @$0.00 each
Total XFINITY TV $97.64

Performance 48.95
Internet Service
Modem Rental 7.00
Total XFINITY Internet $55.95

Service Protection Plan 3.95
Total Additional Products & Services $3.95

TV
Franchise Fee 2.86
Sales Tax 2.04
FCC Regulatory Fee 0.07
Internet
Sales Tax 0.42
Total Taxes, Surcharges & Fees $5.39

maxdallasfan
11-21-2012, 08:51 PM
You can only watch "Call Me Fitz" on DirecTV. Worth the price right there!

250rAL
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I've had DISH for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time it went up in price. At least a couple years ago. Stayed in a motel that had Direct last summer and hated it. Their program guide sucked to navigate.

90guy
11-24-2012, 06:36 PM
I know I work with a few guys who have direct. And the only problems they seem to have with it is when we get blizzards then they lose there signal. Otherwise they say they love it.

RapidRick
11-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Satellite, currently Direct, soon to be Dish

atc007
11-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Dish here. While their lowball $19- $29 package doesn't offer much,,spend around $55 and you can watch tv. You've seen where I'm at. No cable up here ???? lol.. Only the very worst storms blow us off,,and it's actually VERY cool. As I can always tell you precisely when hard rain is about 3 minutes out. Had dtv a Long time ago. I will actually be heavily researching OTA soon. Gonna get a real good booster and router. I know I can pull over 40 channels with that. Bottom line. I don't know how many channels you're getting w cable. But you are getting screwed any way you look at that!! Get every detail in writing ,and be the squeaky wheel if { When} they start screwing you.