PDA

View Full Version : New member intro and 1st tech question

dizzer258
11-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone, My name is Chris, Haven't been lurking too long, I actually just came across this site recently. I happened to stop by a friends house not to long ago and he offered to let me take his freshly rebuilt 200s for a ride. Needless to say, after a 15 year plus hiatus from trikes, I decided I wanted back in. Had to have one, couldn't live with out one :p

So I found a custom ;) 1984 Honda 200s with a 200e motor installed, long story short, the motor had some cam chain noise. I thought It may be due to lack of adjustment, so for a couple hundred, I pulled the trigger. After getting it home and digging in, we found the tensioner was broken. digging further, we found that a rebuild was in order.

So far I have new weisco piston and ring kit, cylinder bored .040 over (cylinder was rusted), valves, seats cut, cam chain, guide and tensioner, new
spark advancer, and new clutches. Engine now runs much quieter.

My main concern is there is a horrible spark knock under load. We've rechecked all the timing marks, everything seems to be set up correctly. I even tried running 93 octane fuel with no change. The only other symptom is an intermittent cold no start. Due to all the other noises, I don't know if the spark knock was there before the rebuild. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas?? :wondering Could the 200s cdi be a problem? I know their a different part number from an E to a S model. (it has a s cdi in it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

shortline10
11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Does it knock when its cold or just after its warmed up ? What wiseco piston did you go with 10.25:1 or the 12:1 ? Stock carb or china knock off ?

dizzer258
11-24-2012, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=shortline10;1173465]Does it knock when its cold or just after its warmed up ? What wiseco piston did you go with 10.25:1 or the 12:1 ? Stock carb or china knock off ?[/QUOTE

I usually let my machines warm up for about 5-10 minutes, runs perfectly quiet at idle, hearing the knock under load, not so much when leaving a stop(unless on a hill), but when accelerating past half throttle while cruising in any gear. I installed the 10:25:1, stock carb, recently cleaned.

shortline10
11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
A knock is a sign of the lower crank rod bearing going bad and it usually only shows up under a load and a ping is predetination/ spark knock which is caused from the motor getting to hot or to low of octaine . My guess is your rod bearing .

[QUOTE=shortline10;1173465]Does it knock when its cold or just after its warmed up ? What wiseco piston did you go with 10.25:1 or the 12:1 ? Stock carb or china knock off ?[/QUOTE

I usually let my machines warm up for about 5-10 minutes, runs perfectly quiet at idle, hearing the knock under load, not so much when leaving a stop(unless on a hill), but when accelerating past half throttle while cruising in any gear. I installed the 10:25:1, stock carb, recently cleaned.

dizzer258
11-24-2012, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=shortline10;1173499]A knock is a sign of the lower crank rod bearing going bad and it usually only shows up under a load and a ping is predetination/ spark knock which is caused from the motor getting to hot or to low of octaine . My guess is your rod bearing .

it sounds more like a ping, kinda like when a car engine is overheating.

shortline10
11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Can you make a video ? Check your spark plug to see what color its burning at . The wiseco should be fine with premium fuel but you might need to bump the main carb jet up to 110 -115 and that will make it run a little cooler if its lean .

[QUOTE=shortline10;1173499]A knock is a sign of the lower crank rod bearing going bad and it usually only shows up under a load and a ping is predetination/ spark knock which is caused from the motor getting to hot or to low of octaine . My guess is your rod bearing .

it sounds more like a ping, kinda like when a car engine is overheating.

dizzer258
11-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Correction on the piston, just checked the part number 12:1. Maybe try some race fuel?

shortline10
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
12:1 = race fuel for sure . start with vp 100 .

Correction on the piston, just checked the part number 12:1. Maybe try some race fuel?