PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another diagnostic Quiz

TimSr
11-25-2002, 10:45 AM
I hope people aren't getting tired of these, but Imthinking along the lines of Dirtcrasher, in that not only posting problems but how we are arrive at solutions may be helpful to somebody out there.

Todays problem:
TimJr got his brand new Youth Raptor 80 in July (4 stroke). Hes ridden it quite a bit, and its definately past break-in now. Aside from changing the oil and plug a few times, nothing else was done to it.
In the last month or so its become very hard to start. We play with choke and throttle and have to crank (electric start) forever to get it started. Once it is started it runs great, same as always, though idle speed seems to drift. Once its warm, its not too difficult to start, though harder than it used to be, but if it sits for another, again, its a pain to start.
Nothing new has been added to the bike, and the only change of conditions is that we live in Ohio, and the weather has changed.
What did I do to fix it?

200xer
11-25-2002, 02:43 PM
it prolly needs to be richened up a lil bit because of the changing weather conditions.

thors-tecate
11-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Technical tips on here are good.Then everybody learns something.It might need to be richened up.But if you havent had it seviced yet,the valves may need adjusting.Good luck.

HemiChallenger71
11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
This is a good one. I think the carb may need to be cleaned with a new plug. This conditon to me sounds like the bike is running to rich due to a dirty air filter/carb. Pull the plug, if its carboned up, check that air filter. Maybe the carb needs adjustment too. If none of this fixes it i would maybe try adjusting the valves, but if its under warranty I'd take it to the shop and let them deal with it.

Howdy
11-25-2002, 09:52 PM
I have seen him ride. He does like to find dirt, mud, sand, ect.

So I say the air filter is plugging up and causing it to run rich.

Tri-Z_Jim
11-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Sounds to me like you need to get the torch out.The nose piece needs to be heated and reshaped to allow more airflow past the motor.Then heat and bend the rear fenders up for more rear down force.That will help get more traction to the ground after it finally starts.lol
All that dirty dusty riding,,,,have you cleaned the air filter yet?

G-MAN-1
11-25-2002, 10:45 PM
it sounds like a yamaha problem to mee. they are h :-P ard to start after they cool down or just started. but hey u know how to fixx it right. thats why u asked us to c how dumb we are right??????????????????????????????????????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

11-26-2002, 12:08 AM
I would clean the filter, test the valves for leaks, adjust em, try a compression test, tighten the cahin, put in a new plug, wipe off the headlights, change the oil, put some good gas in it, after you clean the carb, lube the cables, air up the tires and call it good.

tecatecrazy
11-26-2002, 12:48 AM
replace the sprutinator and tighten the fetser valve...I think :?

TimSr
11-26-2002, 01:03 AM
Some of you were on the right track. I should have mentioned normal maintenance is always done, and air filters on my machines get cleaned after almost every outing. Also when something wont start, the plug gets replaced first thing. In this case the plug looked blackened, but cleaning it didint help. After the machine was run normally, the plug looked a bit dark, but okay. Also I checked the valves, and made very minor adjustments, but not bad at all. I though maybe pot breakin changes might be a problem.

Problem was the pilot jet was half clogged. Once I cleaned the carb it began starting very easily again. I noted the cold weather beacuse it seems to amplify problems with the pilot jet, and it was the first suspect, but running the heat in the garage all day, and it still not starting eliminated that theory. We had simlar problems with TimJrs 2 stroke E-Ton in winter. Very hard to start, but then ran fine when started, and plugs looked good. I had to up the pilot jet about 3 sizes to cure that one.

Kilborg
11-28-2002, 01:24 AM
No. Jetting is not the problem. The problem lies in the power bands. They are too loose and not flexible enought to create horsepower. You need tighter powerbands, and more of them, to create any sort of rideable machine. Everyone should know that.