PDA

View Full Version : Haspin Acres Motocross, Anyone Interested?

ATV On Demand
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
I have spoken to the race promoter at Haspin Acres in Laurel Indiana, about adding a three wheeler class or two, to one or more of his events in 2013. We could race on either the night track, the one usually raced at Trikefrest, or on the big track. We would be competing at scheduled motocross events on prepped tracks. Of course, you can always free ride at Haspin before, durring, and after the races.

We need 5 racers to make a class.

There are three racers from Kentucky and one from southern Ohio who are interested in racing there. Are there any Hoosier racers out there that would like to come race with us? There is a Battle Between the States series with potential rounds in Ohio, Kentucky and New York. If we can get some Indiana racers interested, hopefully Indiana could be added to the list as well.

Either way, it would be cool to do more racing there. Anyone interested?

IKE-Z
11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I would be interested. Racing on the small track at night would be cool for sure.

xrider
11-28-2012, 09:48 AM
If it is the small track I am interested.

ATV On Demand
11-28-2012, 08:03 PM
We have not decided on which track yet, so I will take that as a vote for the small track. from xrider.

Any reason you are interested in the small track as to compared to the big one x? You can short jump everything on the big track and there is tons of room for passing. Either track is cool though.

That brings us to 6 potential riders, plus another we are working on from Kentucky.

Come on indiana guys, where are you?

rray62
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I like the small track :naughty: , and the big track for that matter, as long as I don't kill it in the air......plop!!!!!!!!!

xrider
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Small track is less machine oriented and more rider oriented. Makes for some good close racing.

Tri-Z 250
11-30-2012, 12:54 PM
I can tell you from experance with racing Malvern...night racing is an animal all in it's own( and very cool). Shadows and glare play a bigger role so clean NEW lenses are a must. Big track small track...the racing gonna be close either way. Sr.'s has said this many times, no matter what your skill level or bike size male or female you will find your battles on the track. Meaning, theres always someone to pass or hold off at your pace...even if your in last place you can pass a DNF'er. The challenge is to get the group to the gate...it's more fun than race, with some bragging rights thrown in. This is a group-up type round of events thats gonna take some local boyz to get it together for their State. Of course not being able to run the entire series do to travel on your own...this is were the locals can plan together. The state group can determine a destination within the series to possibly gain the upper hand at an out of State track. I look forward to seeing the BBS becoming 3wheelers ever expanding Series. If you've never been racing and don't jump...nobody cares if you roll every jump and never get out of 3rd gear. It's all high5's at the finish line...and the friendships gained in the pits, priceless. It just takes a few to catch the feaver and lead to your own local series.

ATV On Demand
11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
As a guy who doesn't consider himself highly skilled, I was hoping to try the big due to all of the extra room and larger layout which would provide a bit more speed and less technical jumps. I'm down for whatever though. I just want to get as many people involved as possible.

Tri-Z, I couldn't agree more.

rray62
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I have raced quite a few night races on the bike and it's a blast!!!!! The best part is when you start blasting through a swarm of bugs!!!!!

stroberts22
11-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I believe someone will get hurt if you run on the big track at haspin acres. It looked to me that Rob was very lucky he didn't get hurt bad doing that 100' jump on the big track in your video. This is just my opinion. That track looks to me to be made for motorcycles.

ATV On Demand
11-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I believe someone will get hurt if you run on the big track at haspin acres. It looked to me that Rob was very lucky he didn't get hurt bad doing that 100' jump on the big track in your video. This is just my opinion. That track looks to me to be made for motorcycles.

Dude, I saw you race at Trikefest. I cant believe you aren't itching to race the big track. The jumps on the big track aren't peaked which makes them pretty forgiving. You can short jump most of the jumps on the big track and still carry some speed. i think the big track would be more fun to ride, but if it will take running the small track to get you to come race with us, I'll take that as two votes for the small track.

xrider
12-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Big highspeed tracks make for big highspeed wrecks, lol. I think the tighter racing on the small track will be more enjoyable for both riders and spectators

stroberts22
12-01-2012, 11:07 PM
When are you wanting to have the race?

ATV On Demand
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
When are you wanting to have the race?

No date in mind yet, just trying to see if we can get enough people interested to have a class. I need to find out if, or when Haspin's 2013 schedule will be out. I figured I would give this thread another week or two then start looking into potential dates.

Here are the most recent helmet cam videos of each track. Seriously, look at the jumps on the amall track. I think the big track is more trike friendly, with the exception of a couple of huge jumps. I wont be winning either way, but would rather race the big track. Whatever it takes to get people interested in racing is best though.
Small Track http://youtu.be/e8X4--sHwIs
http://youtu.be/hawEWGY_IMc
Big Track http://youtu.be/8aZEYy_Rfuw
http://youtu.be/iN037gbZdWU

nstyle73
12-15-2012, 02:34 PM
The possibility intrigues me, but as I have NO experience with motocross. I wouldn't even know what I was biting off. I am about an hour and a half from Indy, which is an hour from Haspin? I could definitely come up with a bike that would match up to my limited skills, but I don't even know what a typical good setup for MX is on a 3 wheeler. Obviously, TPC, and/or inverts and a wider axle, but beyond that I'm at a loss. So, put me down as an interested.

ATV On Demand
12-15-2012, 05:29 PM
The possibility intrigues me, but as I have NO experience with motocross. I wouldn't even know what I was biting off. I am about an hour and a half from Indy, which is an hour from Haspin? I could definitely come up with a bike that would match up to my limited skills, but I don't even know what a typical good setup for MX is on a 3 wheeler. Obviously, TPC, and/or inverts and a wider axle, but beyond that I'm at a loss. So, put me down as an interested.

The most important thing is having a good running machine with freshly gone through suspension. Lots of the old trikes have worn out suspension. Getting it back to at least stock performance is a must, or your frame will crack up.

If your machine is running well, all you really need is a kill switch. If you want something a little more race ready this list will get you started, and if you are a good rider, you could be pretty competitive.
1. Kill Switch
2. Get comfortable handlebars
3. 18 inch tires. Kenda Scorpions and ungrooved Turf Tamers provide some traction and slide easily.
4. Extended Axle, Lone Star, or DuraBlue an help you.
5. Performance exhaust, remove airbox lid, change jetting.

The next steps would be custom suspension, followed by more motor mods if necessary. You don't need inverted forks or big bore aftermarket cylinders if you want to do vintage classes. Those mods are generally limited to open classes. In three wheeler motocross, a little talent and hard work will go a lot farther then a ton of aftermarket parts.

Most of us who will be racing Haspin, have raced together in the past. We tend to be pretty respectful of one another's space on the track as locking wheels is about the worst thing that can happen. I would be more worried about getting hurt in a quad class due to their level of enthusiasm vs sense of self preservation. We try to keep it as safe as possible, all things considered.

Would you rather race the big or small track? Check out the videos above if you aren't sure.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2012, 02:00 PM
If it is the small track I am interested.

The small track was great when Rob told them changes needed to be made or people would be hurt. Excellent job from anyone that worked on it, much safer and allot of us are in the 35 to 45 age group.

The big track? Have you seen it? It's made for top riders or your gonna get hurt........

ATV On Demand
12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
The small track was great when Rob told them changes needed to be made or people would be hurt. Excellent job from anyone that worked on it, much safer and allot of us are in the 35 to 45 age group.

The big track? Have you seen it? It's made for top riders or your gonna get hurt........

Is this another vote for the small track Crasher? Didn't know if you were thinking about attending or just providing some input? We'd love to see you show up if we put something together.

If we do a night race, it would be good if we could get there early enough to go ride the big track. I think if people rode it more it wouldn't be so intimidating. I grew up riding that track, and forget that I get to film great riders, I'm just an average ATV rider and an inexperienced trike rider at best. I don't let the speed of the big track get to me because I have very respectful control of that variable lever on the right side of the handlebars. You guys not running twist throttles know what I am talking about.

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, I'd like to go every year and always about 10 days........

That smaller track was looking great and the races went relatively well.

I'm a bit too self reliant to click up to fourth and nail the throttle on that big track :lol:

ATV On Demand
12-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, I'd like to go every year and always about 10 days........

That smaller track was looking great and the races went relatively well.

I'm a bit too self reliant to click up to fourth and nail the throttle on that big track :lol:

You are aware that we are talking about doing some racing at Haspin on another date aside from Trikefest right? So, you are interested in coming and racing with us, as long as we are on the small track, correct?

85250r313
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah!!!! a race that doesn't take me 6 hours to get to. Count me in please, either track is good!

ATV On Demand
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
You got it!

ATV On Demand
01-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I spoke to Brian Morgan again yesterday and told him that it looks like we have more then enough people to get our required five machines on the line. His attitude toward three-wheels is very positive, reminding me to give him a heads up a week or so before each race, so that he has plaques for us.

Haspin is only doing two night races this year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I figured we could do a night race in the spring and then do a race on the big track after Trikefest, that way everyone can get some track experience before we run the big track. We could practice on the big track the day of the night race, and get some more seat time on it at Trikefest.

April, 7, Night Race
August, 4, Big Track

Please let me know which dates you can make. i would rather reschedule in case of rain, rather instead of running my newly restored machine through muddy clay. If you guys still want to run, have at it.

ATV On Demand
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
The April 7 night race has been changed to a Sunday day race, although it will still be held on the night track. This will be a good opportunity to get a jump on the competition for Trikefest. Okay small track racers, who's in?

Kintore
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Sunday is for sure a no go for me, its 7 hours down home from a night race.

Sorry!

rray62
03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
I'll definitely be there, I should be fully healed by then. I've decided that one product test of the neck brace is enough!

IKE-Z
03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Is there any new info on this race at haspin april 7th?

rray62
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I've been waiting to see if anyone else was committed to coming

TimSr
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
If you guys end up without enough to run, you are welcome to join us at Briarcliff. While it is farther to travel, it is the closest event to you guys on our entire schedule. Lookup Nashport, OH in reference to yor loaction. There are also still funds in our First Time Racer Scholarship Fund that might offset the extra travel. Hopefully you'll have enough for a gate at Haspen, but if not, just be aware of an alternative.

rray62
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Which track do you guys use? I still plan on the Medina Co. fair, and I think Jeff will too if his schedule permits.

TimSr
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Which track do you guys use? I still plan on the Medina Co. fair, and I think Jeff will too if his schedule permits.

We've never raced there before, but it will be whichever track they run the big quads on.