PDA

View Full Version : How do I repair a battery maintainer?

LonesomeTriZ
11-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I think I may have hooked the positive and negative leads on the wrong posts. So, I am guessing I blew something inside. It happens to all of us at some point. Anyhoo, I would rather repair than replace. Any idea what I should check first? How do I check it? I figured this would be a good chance to try out my new multimeter. It would be a good learning experience.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Lonesome00/DSC07727.jpg
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Lonesome00/DSC07725.jpg
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/Lonesome00/DSC07726.jpg

Scootertrash
11-30-2012, 02:49 PM
What makes you think it broken?

I would test the output amperage first. If you get nothing there then you'll need to check the continuity of each of the coils (looks like there is three?) pic is kinda blurry.

El Camexican
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
My low amp tender just started clicking between on and off one day. I don't even know if it works and was scared it would catch fire if I used it like that. Good luck with yours.

Howdy
11-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I know you would rather fix than replace, but Harbor Freight sells some and quite often they are only $5.99. Don't get me wrong I do like to learn new things like fixing things like this. How ever lately I have too much to fix and no time to do it. LOL
Howdy

shortline10
11-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Most electronics like that have a tiny diode in the circuit just after the red power wirer on the board , its a tiny one way flowing part that lets the power run in one direction and also acts as a fuse sort of and fire safety , if reverse polarity happens that's the first place to look . Check it for continuity , if no continuity its bad .

Dirtcrasher
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
You can test input and output voltages.

The resistors, diodes or transistors are soldered to the board; You would be back feeding when testing. One the 1st things I learned loooooong ago was to remove and test the item by itself or you'll have weird numbers.

The 5$ fix sounds good to me..........

I needed a window part, but the trip would eat up my whole day. I wasn't gonna do that so I made one in a couple hours and I know it works. Always remember to pay yourself!

Flyingw
11-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Shortline is correct. If there is a diode, its job is to allow current to flow in one direction meaning, if the terminals are reversed, the diode blows preventing current flowing backwards through the coils protecting the coils. If there is a diode, it has to be removed from the board and tested with a meter. Some of these types of power circuits have reverse polarity protection built in using means other than a diode.

LonesomeTriZ
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Man, I tried several times today to get on here and respond. I kept getting emails I had responses but could not get on here. I hate that.

Anyhoo, I did nto see a fuse however the shiny thing in the left lower corner of the baord has breaker on it. It tested fine. Is that what you all are referring to?

shortline10
12-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Look on the circuit board for the first component after the red wire if its the breaker either remove it from the board or bypass the hot side of it with a little jumper wire and see if it comes alive . The diodes I believe (Fuzzy pics) are the round black looking pieces that have a gray ring on one end , if their is one in the circuit before the breaker test that . The gray ring on the diode decides the direction of the flow of power so it must be replaced the same way .

LonesomeTriZ
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks man, I will give that a try.