PDA

View Full Version : 1986 honda 250es won't fire after washing

Jfm0
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Took our '86 Honda big red 250es into the car wash last night and washed it and now I'm not getting any spark. The headlights and neutral lights work and it's turning over fine. Ran perfectly before so I got water someplace I shouldn't have. I blew it off completely and put a heater by it last night to hopefully dry it out. I sprayed wd 40 around connections to displace the moisture and still nothing. Any thoughts?

Cave Rider
12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
take the spark plug cap off and blow it out also,( remove it from the wire entirely to do this). next remove the 2 small wires that plug into your ignition coil and make sure those are dry. last there is a plug by your left foot on the frame, the wires that come out of the engine goto this plug... disconnect it, dry it out and check again... good luck

Jfm0
12-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Got the problem solved. A hair dryer worked wonders. Lesson learned. Thanks!

tri again
12-02-2012, 12:39 AM
We puddled a few and the only place there was water was inside the funny fuse rubber boot thingie.
Water poured right out but needed to replace the funny looking sheet metal fuse.
Looks like a miniature end wrench and are not easy to find but good to have since they'll leave you without spark too.

Next time it blows, they're all getting regular 20 amp automotive spade fuses avail at any 7-11.

tri again
12-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Got the problem solved. A hair dryer worked wonders. Lesson learned. Thanks!

Which part exactly?

I usually start them and then before they get hot, I spray sensitive areas one at a time and see if any particular area / component kills them.

If I hit a blind puddle, I'd like to know where to look first.

Although, they really should be able to run with water up to the bottom of the seat.