PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Big Red 200ES lack of power?

ChrisB
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I have a 1984 Honda Big red 200es. She's in great running condition, the guy i got it off of just replaced the piston and all the bearings, the bike runs very well, it goes first or second pull and after its warmed up it will idle all day long. It seems to be running fine but the problem im having is that is seems to have no power pushing it when going up any sort of a hill. I've tried it in all different gears but when going up hill (and even noticeable on flat) it doesnt seem to be going half as fast as it should be. I had the exact same bike before and it was a lot faster. She jumped her timing a couple weeks ago but i set that back myself and it idles fine so i dont think that that's the problem. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks. Also, I am relatively new to working on these trikes so if anything I say is completely off the wall don't be afraid to let me know.

dustrunner
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
welcome, sounds like a clutch problem 2 me... does the engine rev up and just not go amy faster ?

ChrisB
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, my buddy whos into dirtbikes said he thought it was a clutch problem too, but he said he couldnt tell me anything for sure cause he doesnt know much about these bikes. and yes it just revs higher and doesnt go any faster. Is there much work to replacing/ adjusting the clutch?

dustrunner
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
im not real sure on the 84's . the 85's have an adjuster on the right side so see if you have an adjuster on it ?

The Thing
12-03-2012, 08:44 PM
heres a vid for adjusting the clutch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_doQ2-Ldko

kb0nly
12-04-2012, 03:33 AM
The 84 200ES has a clutch adjustment on the right hand side, looks like a screw with a nut on it, loosen the nut, turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel it start to tighten then back it off about 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise and hold it there while you tighten the nut. See if that helps. Also do an oil change, and if you haven't ever done it and you don't know how well it was taken care of you will want to consider getting a right cover gasket and pulling that cover off and cleaning the oil rotor out to make sure your not starving it for oil flow, especially since the previous owner had the top end apart, could be a lot of crap built up in there now from the new parts breaking in.

I have an 84 200ES, great machine, in low range and first gear i literally have pulled trees and cars with it.

Oh and check the link below in my signature, download the manual from my server to help you along the way!

ChrisB
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot guys, i will be trying all this in the next few days and i'll get back to you and let you know how it goes. huge help.

ChrisB
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Okay ran into another problem in the process, I got the nut off but couldn't turn the screw, I decided to just put the nut back on for now until I got a bit more time to work on it, when it was on it started to get tight and then felt like it broke loose and now it's completely on the screw but is able to turn easily either way and does not tighten or loosen, and my bike will not click into gear now.. Please help, thanks.

The Thing
12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
im not to sure but it sounds like u might have tightened it to much and completly disengaged the clutch,( one posibly way to tell is trailprotrailpro shifter should still sound like its shifting gears but be really easy) try backing the the screw off till it feels even loser or if trailprotrailpro shifter starts feelin more normal, like it should be bout 1/4 inch or so easy freeplay like in the vid link i posted before.

The Thing
12-04-2012, 09:27 PM
and i have no idea why the tires are there???