PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a Hobart Handler 210MVP mig welder.

bkm
12-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Has anyone used one of these or known someone that has one? I like that it is 110 and 230v and can be used with any power source. Northern Tool has them on sale for $850 with free shipping and a free cart. I am wanting to build a "Coke Syrup" type flat track Tecate and figured that if I want parts for this bike I might as well fab them myself and I need a welder that will weld thicker steel.

Thoughts???

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479230_200479230

HuffieVA
12-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I've never used one, I have a Miller 135 that will handle up to 1/4" (with some extra effort and patience) the nice thing about Miller / Lincoln is that if you ever need something for either you can get them from your local welder supply / gas exchange shop pretty easily. The 135 is only 110v and their are times it would be nice to be able to go a little hotter but I'll be able to do that some day in the form of a TIG hopefully

bkm
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I would buy a 110 only welder, but just like everything else, its never enough. With this welder if I need to make it portable I can use 110 and its rated at 140 amps or if I have access to 230v its 210 amps for hotter stuff. I don't want to buy a 110 and then wish later down the road I would have just bit the bullet and bought the bigger one.

JayBone
12-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I have a Miller 135 also. Friend was getting a divorce and i picked it up for $125.00 complete w/helmet

I have yet to use it, but i was given a pressure washer frame (minus engine & pump) and made my own cart to include wire coat hangers for hanging the cords and a ratchet strap i found on the main road one day. I have 110 & a 220 line in my garage but i just couldn't part with 800.00 bucks yet and then this came around. I would have eventaully picked up a hobart because it was on my wish list for 3 yrs.

Hope you get it!

Dirtcrasher
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm sure you could find one used but I personally like brand new machines. I couldn't buy a new backhoe, mill or lathe but they work fine.

Can't buy it all new!!

bkm
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I hear you on trying to save where you can, but with an electrical machine I'd like the peace of mind buying a new unit. Plus it seems like guys are asking close to what a new unit cost with a warranty for a used welder.

El Camexican
12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I've got the Miller 211, but I've read that the Hobart is just as good, but a little cheaper. I've used both the 110V and the 230V settings and the 230V is a lot better even on thinner metal. The 110V makes my lights dim. You'll like the machine for steel, just make sure it can be set-up for aluminium as well as you'll want it one day. Mosh had a post about this a while back. You should check it out.:beer

bkm
12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I've got the Miller 211, but I've read that the Hobart is just as good, but a little cheaper. I've used both the 110V and the 230V settings and the 230V is a lot better even on thinner metal. The 110V makes my lights dim. You'll like the machine for steel, just make sure it can be set-up for aluminium as well as you'll want it one day. Mosh had a post about this a while back. You should check it out.:beerIts spool gun ready for aluminum. I looked at the Miller 211 and the reviews are pretty close between the two, some guys liked the Miller only because it says Miller on the side and from what I've read Hobart is owned by Miller and uses a lot of the same parts. I'll look for Mosh's thread.

just ben
12-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Its spool gun ready for aluminum. I looked at the Miller 211 and the reviews are pretty close between the two, some guys liked the Miller only because it says Miller on the side and from what I've read Hobart is owned by Miller and uses a lot of the same parts. I'll look for Mosh's thread.hobart is to miller as century is to lincoln. same machines built in the same place but the cheaper model may have some of the features cheaperized(just made that up) for an example the miller may have an infinant heat control where the hobart may have 5or 6 preset settings.Thats an easy fix,just change the switch out for a potentiometer. The other main difference and a bit pricier to change is the feeder. The miller will have cast aluminum parts compared to hobart having plastic. I am looking myself, one I havn't ruled out is a china job branded with eastwood. Same power range but not dual voltage. however a 175 amp machine with a spool gun for 499.00 is tempting and all the reviews are good.

bkm
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I've got the Miller 211, but I've read that the Hobart is just as good, but a little cheaper. I've used both the 110V and the 230V settings and the 230V is a lot better even on thinner metal. The 110V makes my lights dim. You'll like the machine for steel, just make sure it can be set-up for aluminium as well as you'll want it one day. Mosh had a post about this a while back. You should check it out.:beer
Nico,

How do you like the 211? I know its more $$ but seeing that I'm going to do this one time and one time only I would like to get the best bang for the $. I like the auto set feature, the upgraded spool feed like Ben mentioned, and the dual voltage like the Hobart. It's about a $225 difference in price and in the grand scheme of things it is really not that much more when your already dropping close to a grand on a tool. Ebay has them for $1125 with a cart and free shipping.

aldochina
12-05-2012, 11:33 PM
for around the same price you could get into one of the everlast tig set ups! From what i understand they work rather well for the $$! Not sure if tig is something you want to venture in. I would also think anything trike related could easily be handled by one of the better 110v machines! for heavier stuff that just comes up, a 50-$100 buzz box off craigs cant be beat!

If you have the funds, it would be nice to have just one machine to do it all! I think you will be pleased with any of the comparable miller/linclon/hobart models!

El Camexican
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Nico,

How do you like the 211? I know its more $$ but seeing that I'm going to do this one time and one time only I would like to get the best bang for the $. I like the auto set feature, the upgraded spool feed like Ben mentioned, and the dual voltage like the Hobart. It's about a $225 difference in price and in the grand scheme of things it is really not that much more when your already dropping close to a grand on a tool. Ebay has them for $1125 with a cart and free shipping.

I love it on the 230V setting using CO2 gas. I can weld ¼” just as well as I can with a 300amp industrial machine steel, but that said I suspect that the Hobart is just as good. I don’t think anyone will argue that Millers have curb appeal, but it comes with a price. If the extra couple hundred bucks isn’t a big deal get the Miller and never look back. If you have something better to spend the money on I don’t think the Hobart or Lincoln equivalents will disappoint you.
Let us know what Santa ends up bringing you.;)

FYI from another site
"Miller does not own Hobart. However Miller and Hobart are both owned by Illinois Tool Works, a giant holding company that owns dozens of companies. ITW acquired both back in the mid 90's amid allegations from the FTC about the merger violating anti-trust laws and creating a monopoly on industrial welding power supplies. Hobart was required as part of the merger to divest itself of all its industrial assets, and was prohibited from manufacturing power supplies over 250 amps. They re-invented themselves as more of a retail supplier, targeting hobbyist, automotive, and light commercial buyers."

Redlunn
12-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I have run a Hobart Handler 140 for the past 6 years and it has run exactly as advertised. As others have said, Hobart is a "less industrial version" of Miller. My Hobart MIG gun actually says Miller on the side. The Miller name generally has slightly higher duty cycle times but for normal fabrication I would vote for Hobart and spending the savings on more trike parts. If I were to buy a new mig at this time I would go for a Hobart Ironman 230 but if you require 120V support your choice of the 210MVP seems perfect. The problem with getting a decent welder is that the defective welds get blamed on you.

bkm
12-16-2012, 06:04 AM
I bit the bullet and picked up the Hobart 210 mvp with aluminum spool gun. It wasn't cheap, but hopefully this will be the first and last welder I'll ever need. Thanks to all for the input.