PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Mason2322
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I Have an 83 Kawasaki 3 wheeler KLT. All it has is an electric start i need to know if the generator charges the battery or if the battery is just used for starting the engine and the generator is used for everything else. I am having problems with my battery not staying charged. PLZZ HELP!

jb2wheels
12-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know the exact answer to your question - KLT specifics - but I'm sure the generator/stator is supposed to charge the battery.

How old's the battery?
What's the condition of the battery?
How's the wiring? Nice and original or butchered?
How many volts at the battery when the engine isn't running? whould be 12 ish.
How many volts at the battery when the engine is running? Should be 14 ish

The Loncin 125 I put in my TRX70 was not charging. I had 12.6 at the battery not running and 12.2 running after start. The generator was putting out 30V AC before the regulator/rectifier. I replaced the regulator ($10 of ebay). Now I get 13.9 V at idle.

fordtech90
12-11-2012, 06:23 AM
First of all its a stator not a generator, the obvious answer to your question is simple mechanics. Your battery simply stores energy to fire your engine and accesories up once started the stator/generator/alternator whatever application maintains a stable charge to the battery and supplies constant voltage to all of the necessary circuits....to state it simply. If your battery is not holding a charge it could be no good, or it could be charging system related. Id have your battery checked with a proper battery tester, id then do a parasitic draw test to see if anything is drawing unecessary amperage, id then check the charging system by checking available voltage while running.

Mason2322
12-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Thank you that helped a lot. I charged my battery when i was at work and i has been working fine for about a week, but i have actually driven it around so i will be hoping to do that soon to make sure everything is working properly.