PDA

View Full Version : 1984 big red 200es motor swap

meghazel
12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi , new to forum so any help would be great thanks . I have a 84 big red 200es with a worn out motor and other problems , have a chance to get a 1983 200e and would like to know if it is possible to put my reverse shaft drivetrain on the 83 motor, if not i guess i can rebuild .

atc500x
12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
no,output shaft is different,crankcase is different
rebuilt your motor,or buy the 200e motor and swap only the topend on your 200es

dustrunner
12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
ya, i would just re-build yours. hard to say what condition the other engine is in.... you might just need to hone your cylinder and a set of standard rings ? i would also re-lapp in the valves and such.. good luck and let us know how you make out..

meghazel
12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info , will probably buy 83 big red because it has all good plastics and tank thats not rusted, and rebuild my 84 motor ( smokes alittle and the real problem it knocks under a load which means wrist pin or bearings I think )

kb0nly
12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
If your lucky its just the top end, rebuild head, bore/hone cylinder and new piston and rings and wrist pin/needle bearing. I doubt its the rod bearing or crank bearings, every one of the 200's i have heard make that noise is due to the top end. The knock/rattle under load could also be a stretched and sloppy timing chain. G&H Discount ATV will take your cylinder and bore and hone it and match a new piston and rings to it, they also include the pin and such. $160 for that. They will also rebuild the heads, $160 for that as well. You could ship the cylinder and head to them to be rebuilt and slap it back together, they include a top end gasket kit for re-assembly. All you would have to buy besides that is a timing chain and tensioner/guide set and a left cover gasket. Your looking at about $350-$400 to rebuild it so it will last for years.

If you need the manual check out the link to my manual server below...

meghazel
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks you for the info

kb0nly
12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Your welcome!

If you have any local motorcyle/machine shops they could probably get you up and running so to speak as well. The heads are easy to do, just clean it up, lap the valves, new seals, not a lot to do on them in my opinion to make them ready for reassembly. The cylinder if its stock bore but worn can be bored and hone pretty cheap, but then you have to get the piston and rings and have then on hand for the shop to get it done right, a good shop should want them on hand to measure and match.

I only recommend G&H because i know two guys that have dealt with them now. It costs like $20 extra but you can also have them clean and bead blast the parts as well to get them looking really nice. From what i have seen they do a good job.

Also check out www.dratv.com for parts if you decide to tackle it.