PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx cold start kit or cold start mod??????????????

bigmike8791
12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Ive typed this into search and didnt see anything? Google it and found that they made a update kit back in the day to correct cold starting problem on the 85 model. Quess they fixed problem in 86. Something about bigger starter jet and some vac tubes? My question is there any mod that I can do to factory setup to help with cold start problem? Maybe drill out starter jet a little? I do have jet drill set. Im gonna start with carb rebuild kit and go from there so any info/help would be great. Thx in advance!!:)

Flyingw
12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
The kits are no longer available but all you have to do is remove the start up jet. Get a no 4 sheet metal screw and screw it firmly in to the jet. I cut a slot in an old flat blade screwdriverto make a pry fork to lever against the screw. Pry the jet out and drill it with a .80mm micro drill. Be sure to clean out the jet tube while the is out. Once drilled, tap the jet back in gently till it sticks up just a hair. Pretty easy... send me your carb, im all set up for that and rebuildibg sx and es carbs. Ill turn it quickly.

bigmike8791
12-10-2012, 09:40 PM
thx for the info. The screw doesnt mess us jet? What do you charge and where do you you from? Any pics?

Flyingw
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
The screw doesnt breach the metering part of the jet. I use a Dremmel to do it. Tap it in with a small mallet or something soft. I'm in Oklahoma. I'll send you a PM. Here are some pics to oogle over.....

dragonslayr
01-28-2017, 01:35 PM
... have been reading in the "Honda Service Manual" about the "Starter Valve"... would this critter add to my cold starting problem?... I have not yet taken out the carb to see if I actually have a "starter jet" but will later today and then follow FlyingW's advice and drill it out but would like to avoid if this valve needs work instead...Thanks, Walt~