PDA

View Full Version : building frankentrike

willsonstoast
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I just bought a 85 200s with a 83 200e motor $350
came to the forum to see if I could get my questions answered
The kid I bought it off of gave me the 200e wiring harness but it didn’t come with the rectifier or the solenoid. I found a rectifier and solenoid from a 125m and was wondering if that would work.

Tried to post this in the parts thread and it wouldn't let me

filthyhat
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Hello my friend! I am by no means a trike expert, but I would think that if either of those parts fit, they should work fine. If I'm not mistaken, a rectifier just changes the AC current from the stator into DC current for the bike to run, using like three or four diodes. The solenoid is basically just a battery operated switch. Put them in a different trike, and they should still do what they were designed to do.

Now I may be mistaken here, and forgive me if I am wrong, but the only problem I can foresee is if the 200e stator puts out way more amperage than the 125m motor. In that case you may have a problem. But with something like this where it is a rectifier and a solenoid (on a side note, are there solenoids on these bikes or are you referring to the starter relay?) they will be a rectifier and solenoid no matter where you put them, and should rectify and switch regardless.