PDA

View Full Version : New 450R's already gone!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Went to see my local HONDA dealer about the new 450R quads. He said they have over 20 deposits above 1000$ each and that the first one will arrive in January. He said they are only getting about 15 of them and the rest of the people will have to wait till 2005. I just can't believe that with the lack of riding etc here that these things still go that fast! And why the heck doesn't the dealer get a hundred of these things!!

Crash104936221
12-06-2003, 12:57 PM
ya thats quite fast lol
the less thee are the higher the demand lets tehm ask a higher price and people will pay to be one of 15 to have that ride in the area...

Joe

Dynofox
12-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Why not just go to another dealer? Not every honda dealer is going to sell out that fast.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-06-2003, 06:16 PM
i dont know what kind of tard is gonna put a $1000 down payment in 2004, when they cant even get it till 2005, who knows, maybe something new will come out in 2005 that he wants instead....and i agree with dynofox, why dont they just go to a different dealer instead of waiting a year

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
i dont know what kind of tard is gonna put a $1000 down payment in 2004, when they cant even get it till 2005, who knows, maybe something new will come out in 2005 that he wants instead....and i agree with dynofox, why dont they just go to a different dealer instead of waiting a year

Well I guess that would depend on the "TARD" and how bad they want one. Regardless, some of you don't have a HONDA dealer even remotely close to you. Apparently lots of dealers only get their hands on a dozen or so models and depending upon the popularity - you snooze you lose.
If you have never bought a new model yourself you may find out that some new machines are nearly impossible to get - lots of dealers call all around to other dealers to try and find you a machine they have sold out of.
The new CR 250 4 stroke MX bikes are nearly impossible to get around here as well as the 450 4 stroke. You guys make it sound like your dealer has a few of these hanging around on their lot?? About all I see lounging around are XR's and CR's but none of the more popular newer machines are on the lot.

G-MAN-1
12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
yeh well this came from a great source of mine that the new hondas really suck any ways as a stock machine. they said they would rather buy a yamaha............................................ .. :idea: :idea: :idea:

dividebyzero
12-06-2003, 11:01 PM
The first year model of anything always needs approvement any ways.I'd wait til the following year.Take the raptor for example.Never buy the first year of something.

SteveATC24
12-07-2003, 10:39 AM
I agree with dirtcrasher on this one. Around here(which is Montgomery, AL) Dirtbikes and crotch rockets rule the roost on what a dealership gets. Quads are on the back burner, at my local honda/yamaha shop the other day I counted about 12 quads, new and used. I counted the bikes(dirt and street) and it was over 25 bikes. I guess it all depends on the demand in your area. They had just got their first 2 yfz 450's, and I have seen them selling already for about 3 months I guess. They didn't even have a raptor and they only had 1 banshee and 1 yellow 400ex.

Bill X_R
12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
i dont know what kind of tard is gonna put a $1000 down payment in 2004, when they cant even get it till 2005

My local dealer has 4 coming in January, not one even has sold yet?

Billy Golightly
12-08-2003, 12:13 PM
I don't know how many my dealer is getting, but they don't take deposits on anything, and they do WAY more quads then they do dirtbikes and motorcycles. There has to be atleast 60+ quads in their showroom and probably 100+ between the storage at their warehouse on the spot and the remote one.

Dirtcrasher
12-08-2003, 06:17 PM
What doesn't make any sense to me is that we really have very little riding left around here and the closest track a quad can race on is in Southwick, MASS.

You guys in OHIO and FLA you have to have much more territory than us yet were sold out and you have dozens??

As far as it being junk or the first year not being worth buying - I'm not too sure about that yet. Honda has a proven Chassis with the TRX250R and the 400EX and seems to me the 450R motor is pretty powerful and dependable also. It is 2003 and I think HONDA is more than capable of making the best 4 stroke quad out there. But then again I do believe that HONDA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy Golightly
12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't know about in Ohio, but down here, I can only thing of a handfull (If even that many people) Who would #1: Have an interest in owning a new 450R, #2: Having enough interest to pursue buying one, #3: having enough money to actually do it. When I went and got the expected date from my dealers General Manager (Which sold me my TRX250R) he said I was the first person who had even been in there asking about it. And this was back in early-mid November. I'm suppose to be first on the list to go and take a test ride when they get them (Tomorrow?). I'd sure like to own one but with the new truck and stuff I don't see any possible way. It'll be neat to ride one though just for the hell of it so I can see how it compared with my R.

As for the first year problem....I think thats a thing that only happens with other brands. I don't recall any first year problems with TRX250R, the 400ex, the 300ex, the 250x, or even the 250ex. But like Dirtcrasher, I'm a Die hard Honda guy myself. But I will say this, the YFZ450 is the first quad I've sat on and actually felt comfortable on in comparison to my TRX250R. Everything else is to tall and narrow. Like a dirtbike with 4 wheels, no good. I believe (and Hope) the 450R follows more in the 250R's footsteps instead of the 400ex's.

Dirtcrasher
12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
As for the first year problem....I think thats a thing that only happens with other brands. I don't recall any first year problems with TRX250R, the 400ex, the 300ex, the 250x, or even the 250ex. But like Dirtcrasher, I'm a Die hard Honda guy myself. But I will say this, the YFZ450 is the first quad I've sat on and actually felt comfortable on in comparison to my TRX250R. Everything else is to tall and narrow. Like a dirtbike with 4 wheels, no good. I believe (and Hope) the 450R follows more in the 250R's footsteps instead of the 400ex's.[/quote]

I shot the sh!t with the Honda salesperson and even posed the question "why on earth did Honda discontinue the TRX only to offer the us the meager 400EX" He claimed it was never intended to replace the TRX but merely to get through the 2 stroke to 4 stroke transition period. He agreed that the 450 was a long time coming and said Honda discontinued the TRX partially due to the "out of the box" speed and liability reasons after the "ATC fiasco??". I didn't question him on that response too much. Here in the south shore of Mass for some reason people are scoffing these quads up like crazy. I have never bought a new machine myself and I think at this point if I hit 5K on a scratch ticket - I would still grab an 89 TRX250R. I truly have only ridden one - one time and it just seemed to fit me like a glove. If the power of those 10 year old plus quads is similar to my 85 ATC250R then thats fine just as it is. But then again of course my 250SX has nowhere NEAR the same power as a 2 stroke but I must admit that the more controllable torque of a four stroke engine is to my liking. One mistake on my 250R and I'm in the woods yet a four stroke doesn't seem to need to be revved so much for the same response. But then again the 250R ATC definately has a "light switch" power band and is tough to manage on a tigh track or woods ride. I think it would be a bit easier to ride if it were like the power valved engine of my old 94 CR250 which was controllable yet very pulling at low RPM's. Hell - I'm just totally confused aren't I!!! :?

TimSr
12-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Ohio has huge amateur motocross culture thats alive and well, and growing. The appeal of the YFZ and the Honda are not so much "how fast they are" but how track ready they are as a stock unit. The sport has become incredibly expensive, where a guy has to sink several thousand dollars in aftermarket modfications for handling and suspension just to be competitive, and even though these come along with a hefty price tag, they are actually much less expensive than making a cheaper model ready to race.

For the guys who are trail and woods riding or even harescrambling, I think these are a total waste of money, and offer little advatages over older and cheaper models available though Im sure theyll sell a lot so guys can say theyve got one. These were built for motocross, and thats where they shine.

const42
12-15-2003, 12:22 PM
yamaha 450 is much faster trust me honda is all name. I like them but why pay extra for a name. now honda does have a nice chassi but if i take a nascar fram and put a 4 cylinder in it thats what i got . yamaha out powers the honda hands down. also alot of dealers nationwide will ship for free cause it costs them no more to send it to you then it does to freight it to there shop.just a thought.

86350X
12-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Dirtcrasher, di you go to bettencourts? I am #5 on the list there, I have 2500 down on mine, should get it in the begining of January

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Dirtcrasher, di you go to bettencourts? I am #5 on the list there, I have 2500 down on mine, should get it in the begining of January

Yep, Mark B is my neighbor just down the road. It was one of the conter guys that gave me the heads up - good for you!! I wonder how fast that thing will be? I could care less what the world thinks - I love Honda and I'm stickin by them.

Maybe I can get my head out of my arse and get over there to do some riding with you. I know - I said it before but I was just too busy with school and all last year. I want to hear what you have to say because I am planning on building a 1989 TRX250R this year but I have always wanted something brandy spankin new!! Good luck - It think he said they wer 6400$ Ouch!!

86350X
12-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Yea, it is gonna be a costly toy, but I too have always wanted a new bike and when I heard about itI was thee putting money down on it, Ihave been waiting for honda to come out with a true performance machine for a long time,,,, As far as riding,for the winter I hibernate on the lake behind my house, I put ice screws in my tires so I cant ride the trails cause it wheres them out, I didmy cr sunday and gave it atry, awesome, wheelies on bare ice,,, I never did a dirtbikes ties before, always just my trikes, but those screws hook up great,,,, PM me anytime you wanna ride on the ice though,, shold b truly safe in he next 2weeks,,,,,, have a good one