PDA

View Full Version : Sony 50" tv keeps rebooting.

tri again
12-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Neighbor says I can have it.
Don't really want it but would love to donate it to the school or library
if I can fix it.

Any suggestions?

It comes on, loads it's prescreen, tries to pick up a signal and then reboots.

kb0nly
12-14-2012, 06:45 PM
You talking LCD or rear projection?

If its a LCD then its the power supply, usually leaky capacitors, i have rebuilt a few of them easily enough. If its a rear projection it could be almost anything, those things suck to work on! If its a plasma put a target on it and use it as a backstop, i hate plasma tv's.

tri again
12-15-2012, 04:57 AM
You talking LCD or rear projection?

If its a LCD then its the power supply, usually leaky capacitors, i have rebuilt a few of them easily enough. If its a rear projection it could be almost anything, those things suck to work on! If its a plasma put a target on it and use it as a backstop, i hate plasma tv's.

Hey thanks KB,

lemmie go look............
Stickers say:
Sony LCD 52XBR9
Mfg date 10/09

Was thinking that since it powers up?
may not be the main board power supply but less and less things are making sense these days.
Guessing there's another board.
Juuuust got it today and have been working on getting all our machines, generators and fuels
mixed and ready for this new storm so I haven't even looked at it.

At any rate, there's a place in Silicon Vly that sells parts from new
TV's with broken screens from shipping.

Not sure what to look for but I'll price the main power supply board as you suggest.

It would just be perfect for someone for sure.

He was gonna leave it in the box from his new LG 55" replacement and see how long it would take for someone to steal it out of his truck.

And yes, we in the pacific northwest are starved for entertainment but I'd sure like to see this go to a useful situation, unless they're just not worth fixing.

Thanks again.
I appreciate your suggestions and look fwd to more.

kb0nly
12-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I have used a few supply houses like that to get parts for TV's, i literally pick them up off the curb around here, you see broken LCD units put out all the time. The most common problem i fix on them is the power supply, usually bad caps. There is a few guys selling repair kits for them online, basically just a handful of good quality low ESR capacitors to replace them. Sometimes its a problem with the mainboard but its usually the power supply.

This one comes on, shows video and then reboots, thats a good sign because the lcd and the backlight supply is working. However i did some searching on google, kdl-52xbr9 reboots, and found lots of posts all over the internet that this Sony model has mainboard problems, so it could be that as well.

tri again
12-16-2012, 01:58 AM
I plug it in tomorrow and get a better description of what it actually does.

Thanks

atc007
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
That's actually a nice set. 1080. Rear projectors are 9 times out of 10,,loose /dirty connections. Pull them apart,clean and replug,,usually will fire up. Assuming the lamp is good. I realize this is lcd,just saying..This one here does sound like main board :(( . I sure hope you can get it going for a good cause. If not maybe a tv repair shop that would help out for charity?

tri again
12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Feeling pretty weak today but I think I'm should plug it in and get a clear
idea of it's sequence.
Count the red and green blinks and timing etc. and then go from there.

I'm happy with my little tv so this one can go to a loving home for sure.

sn - watching the history channel about all the stone buildings built with multi ton
blocks of granite.
Some look like the were melted into place.

How did they move 200 ton blocks?...600 miles, and why?
Wouldn't a bunch of littler rocks have been easier?

Fascinating world we live in.

atc007
12-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Feeling pretty weak today but I think I'm should plug it in and get a clear
idea of it's sequence.
Count the red and green blinks and timing etc. and then go from there.

I'm happy with my little tv so this one can go to a loving home for sure.

sn - watching the history channel about all the stone buildings built with multi ton
blocks of granite.
Some look like the were melted into place.

How did they move 200 ton blocks?...600 miles, and why?
Wouldn't a bunch of littler rocks have been easier?

Fascinating world we live in.

Aliens did it.

fire1
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Ive seen a lot of the first generation Sony LCD do that when the lamp was defective.

tri again
12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
welp?

I finally plugged it in and it boots up.
says 'component2'
No signal
select another input"

and I'm able to navigate around selceting inputs and brightness etc etc for about 10-15 seconds and it shuts off.

Red light blinks 10 times
and 10 more times and does that a few times and then I can turn it back on and it does it again.

Thanks youse guys

tri again
12-21-2012, 06:18 PM
ah ha!

got the cover off and the board that the main power wire goes into looks suspicious.

Some of the resistors have no discernable color bands.

Looks like they got hot fer sure.

There are literally thousands of complaints about these.
Sony DID extend the warranty until 2014 for the screens going bad but most complains are for rebooting and they just don't care.
IF you do have a problem, they will aloow you to PURchase a rrefurbed unit for 600$ with the same defective components NO guarantee.

These came out at 3 grand and fair mkt is like 1800 now.

My 92 ford f150 had a 30 cent capacitor that leaked.
Saved myself 400$ for a no guarantee replacement computer.

Aaaah.
Inside, rainy day fun.

Hope everyone is weathering the midwest storm in comfort.

kb0nly
12-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Sounds like the power supply... Usually the caps start to go, they get leaky, by leaky i mean voltage not its contents, and then the resistors in the circuit will be the next to take the current and they start getting crispy.

I have a capacitor tester and esr meter, i usually just desolder all the capacitors on the power supply board documenting which went where, test them, and then make up an order for mouser.com or digikey.com and get a new batch, along with the resistors. However that takes a schematic to weed out the values unless its on the board once they get crispy. Some of them actually silkscreen the value on, like R100 1k2 which designates part R100 and value of 1.2 kohm... Yeah im a bit of an electronics geek.. LOL

I have a vacuum desoldering station that makes removal a job that takes seconds, and an assortment of soldering stations, hot air reworking station, you name it. Its fun!

tri again
12-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Sounds like the power supply... Usually the caps start to go, they get leaky, by leaky i mean voltage not its contents, and then the resistors in the circuit will be the next to take the current and they start getting crispy.

I have a capacitor tester and esr meter, i usually just desolder all the capacitors on the power supply board documenting which went where, test them, and then make up an order for mouser.com or digikey.com and get a new batch, along with the resistors. However that takes a schematic to weed out the values unless its on the board once they get crispy. Some of them actually silkscreen the value on, like R100 1k2 which designates part R100 and value of 1.2 kohm... Yeah im a bit of an electronics geek.. LOL

I have a vacuum desoldering station that makes removal a job that takes seconds, and an assortment of soldering stations, hot air reworking station, you name it. Its fun!

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that the silkscreen lines on the boards do not show values since I can't read the color codes on the resistors.

Real obvious that some design flaws are right in line with the line voltage.

Not sure if you can see but the left most (choke) or copper coil is discolored.

Happy to reload the board with whatever parts I can find but also heard a rumor that whole boards are 30-150 bucks.
Wish I was back in Silicon Valley.
(just kidding)

The other guy that's walking me through this said that dead lcd, led tv sets
are usually easy fixes If one has the cahones to take the back off and have room to leave it out without getting yelled at for geeking.

Oops, looks like a couple pix of the water tanks by the woodstove got mixed in and I can't figure out how to delete them.

tri again
12-22-2012, 03:00 AM
I could probably reload the crispy parts on that board for under 10 bucks.
Just not sure which component failed first.

Getting more obvious when we see
'flat screen tv's wanted', free pickup.

Can't be rocket science.

(added pix)

Ps - It's taking up 1/2 the living room so I better fix or condemn as necessary
before I get deemed geek of the week and ostricized to the unheated garage
until spring.

kb0nly
12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Geek of the week? Heck im always that!! And yeah the LCD tv's show up free all the time, and if you got a little time on your hands there is good money to make off them. I generally pick up dead units off craigslist for nothing or a few bucks, put $20-$30 worth of parts into them and sell for a couple hundred depending on size and age.

In your last post the second picture of the board with the blue transformers is the power supply board. The other two boards are the inverter boards, and the blue board with all the connections is of course the mainboard. The two large fat caps are the primary side and they rarely fail, but suspect all the small brown caps on that board as they are likely Elite brand capacitors. Sony and RCA had a HUGE problem with their manufacturing using Elite branded caps. Very cheaply made chinese caps that fail after a year or two tops. The primary caps you will notice are Rubycon, they spent the big bucks there and then cheaped out on the secondary side with the Elite caps.

Look for any caps that bulging on the tops, sometimes they bulge on the bottom too if they were not tightly installed against the board, the pressure goes out one end or the other. Also sometimes you will not even be able to visually see anything wrong, but they are still bad. On that power supply board did they silkscreen the voltages or anything on there? The two multi conductor plugs at the bottom right of that picture is where you should see all the voltages, 5v, 12v, 15v, 24v to the backlight inverter, the voltages vary by model but generally you have 5v, 12v, 24v. Check them with a voltmeter, put the meter on the line turn the tv on, watch that voltage, you will probably notice one of the rails are kinda low, usually on Sony and RCA tv's the 5v supply fails under load and the voltage drops too low which makes the logic on the mainboard reboot the tv in an attempt to clear the problem itself.

I can tell you one thing for sure, its the power supply board or the mainboard... LOL I know it doesn't help right? Lots of troubleshooting, i generally start with the power supply and check voltages and go from there.

tri again
12-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Geek of the week? Heck im always that!! And yeah the LCD tv's show up free all the time, and if you got a little time on your hands there is good money to make off them. I generally pick up dead units off craigslist for nothing or a few bucks, put $20-$30 worth of parts into them and sell for a couple hundred depending on size and age.

In your last post the second picture of the board with the blue transformers is the power supply board. The other two boards are the inverter boards, and the blue board with all the connections is of course the mainboard. The two large fat caps are the primary side and they rarely fail, but suspect all the small brown caps on that board as they are likely Elite brand capacitors. Sony and RCA had a HUGE problem with their manufacturing using Elite branded caps. Very cheaply made chinese caps that fail after a year or two tops. The primary caps you will notice are Rubycon, they spent the big bucks there and then cheaped out on the secondary side with the Elite caps.

Look for any caps that bulging on the tops, sometimes they bulge on the bottom too if they were not tightly installed against the board, the pressure goes out one end or the other. Also sometimes you will not even be able to visually see anything wrong, but they are still bad. On that power supply board did they silkscreen the voltages or anything on there? The two multi conductor plugs at the bottom right of that picture is where you should see all the voltages, 5v, 12v, 15v, 24v to the backlight inverter, the voltages vary by model but generally you have 5v, 12v, 24v. Check them with a voltmeter, put the meter on the line turn the tv on, watch that voltage, you will probably notice one of the rails are kinda low, usually on Sony and RCA tv's the 5v supply fails under load and the voltage drops too low which makes the logic on the mainboard reboot the tv in an attempt to clear the problem itself.

I can tell you one thing for sure, its the power supply board or the mainboard... LOL I know it doesn't help right? Lots of troubleshooting, i generally start with the power supply and check voltages and go from there.

All makes perfect sense and I really appreciate your help.

The boards don't have values near the components, sadly and I'd bet the schematics are impossible to find.
One smoky resistor says r6313 on the board under it and one of the caps says c 6338 so seems like simple location numbers.
My only hope at this moment is to read the values on each component, if possible.

...or just risk some $ and start with a replacement power supply board and take it from there.

It's been a while since my silicon valley days but I still have all the cool tools.

It's just my eyesight and patience ain't what they used to be.
In the past, I'd work to fix something even if someone gave me a new one for free.
I refused to be outsmarted by silly designs.

Weather's pretty harsh these days so good to have some indoor challenges.

Reeeealy appreciate your help.
About the only 2 prices that are fun to watch (come down) are lumber and electronics.

kb0nly
12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Thats typical Sony for you, they never make anything easy. If you google the model number and the word schematic or service manual you might get lucky out on the web. I have found a few service manuals and schematics in pdf format for some of the tv's i have fixed.

I have too many indoor projects right now, the basement workshop is overflowing! LOL

tri again
12-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Tyler , MN?

We havethe weather channel here and think about youse guys often.
PNW weather is never as bad as they say.

Oh, Duuude,

I did trip on a website that said with 10 blinks and a reboot, check component #
(hang on, I worte it down, fingers are numb from working outside)

cheks voltages, as you said.
check
10 red blinks error code:

Q 8014
Q 8013 "D" board
R 8051 IC 8005

Looking fwd to getting the reading glasses and some bright light.

I bet the caps crapped out throwing extra voltage to thye resistor that said:

ummmmmph?

..and the IC chip :
Board number:
IC 8005 survived.

Looking like this unit is going to the local library so no real deadline but more incentive to outsmart these engineers.

We Love feathers in our caps, especially for such a worthy cause,

Thanks again

will keep you posted if this is entertainment.

If not, I'll probably post the fix anyway.

tri again
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
to anyone with a bad flat screen tv.

I got through to a place in MN called
shopjimmy.com

FREE tech support and they get Thousands of tv's every week that were broken in shipping. mostly broken screens.

I got a power board for this 3,000$ sony for 40 bucks.

The guy (jimmy) saw some tv's getting literally thrown out and got some for free, sold everything he could get his hands on (ebay) and now has almost 300,000 sq ft, free shipping, guaranteed lowest prices, 180 day warranty.

I LOVE rags to riches stories.