PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Gnarly Wreck this Morning, Totaled my Truck

Chazz of Blades
12-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Well I've had a fun morning. At 1:41 AM...... Guess who lost traction coming down a hill, ended up sliding all over, hitting a 2 foot ditch at full speed BACKWARDS, and......... Completely flipping his truck at speed, on the other side of the road, facing the direction he was coming from. Long story short, my baby, the thing I love most in the world, is completely totaled. Diff is busted, an axle and wheel are off of it and it just fell out when the truck was rolled over, the frame is bent and BROKE in a few places, every fender is smashed up, she's all scratched up, all glass busted, cab wrinkled a bit but it DIDN'T BEND(I'd love to see a Ford/Dodge do that!), everything under the truck toward the back is trashed, tank, exhaust, everything. One of my leaf spring clusters was sticking up in the air like a flag pole. Your truly was upside down hanging on after smashing his face hard enough to warp metal and crack wood. And the wheel that I lost? It was the BACK RIGHT, it was somehow on the FRONT LEFT FENDER propping the truck up against the embankment. I feel like crap, I'm sore all over and pretty banged up, but I had more than one person tell me tonight that there's no way I should have survived that, at the very least been in the ICU. I wasn't a mile away from where I'd left either........... Luckily I have one of the two greatest uncles in the entire world, who was on the scene within two minutes of me calling. BUT MY TAILGATE SURVIVED! It's currently in his van....... And for those of you wondering, I was coming down a steep rightwards blind curve when I got out of the blind area there was quite a large deer ahead of me. I knew if I hit him being in a lowered truck he'd come through the windshield and probably end my days there, and I'd still wreck, so I managed to dodge him and almost had it back in control when I guess I hit wet pavement and went sideways, hit one side of the road and got flung backwards, STILL DOING NORMAL SPEED. Rode UP an embankment, and flipped. I've got pictures in the daylight that are much worse than these.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-15-48_86_zps66a94ef6.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-16-06_643_zpsa467ff2c.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-16-14_64_zps59c638df.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-16-24_739_zps18b2c54e.jpg
Here you can see, my back right tire, wheel, and axle that's missing is the only thing propping the front right fender against the embankment.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-16-43_461_zps39a71018.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-17-06_716_zps9f660211.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-38-01_184_zps7886a5d7.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-38-16_60_zps3d27aee0.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-38-22_330_zpsa0f802f9.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-38-35_753_zps7e6b1ba3.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-38-55_892_zpsc5501c2e.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Chazz_Marshall/The%20Wreck%20of%20Ages/2012-12-15_03-39-07_73_zps71d49a12.jpg

tanks350x
12-16-2012, 12:57 AM
That's messed up! glad that you are ok

tri again
12-16-2012, 01:35 AM
ouch.

Glad yer ok so far.

Please stay aware or any odd pains and get back to the hospital if you get scared.

Car insurance should cover your medical expenses so please don't hesitate.

Hopefully someone is around to watch if you get headaches or start throwing up etc etc.

Dear GOD, you are lucky.!!

That deer belongs in the freezer.

I locked 'em up the other day and slid stright towards a 4 ft ditch but let off the brake at the very last instant and the truck jumped left again, the way the wheels were turned.

Faaaa...man I should still be in that ditch..
with 70 glue lam 2 by 4's pinning me right thru the cab.

Take care my friend.

We'll find you a new truck.

El Camexican
12-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Good to hear you're ok. Those wide tires suck on ice.

Chazz of Blades
12-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Looking at those pictures, it's hard to believe those tires have less than 3k on them. That's how hard and far I slid.

Another truck lost it and hit a pole at the same place a couple hours after me, and a Maxima slid off into the ditch and trashed the front end just an hour ago at the same damn hill.

You know what REALLY pissed me off? Called 911 and they never came out. That gnarly of a wreck and they said that since I didn't have full coverage insurance and I seemed fine that they wouldn't send anyone out. I wrecked RIGHT OUTSIDE city limits, and they wouldn't call in city police to come to my aid, and they wouldn't send State Troopers.

Swinger
12-16-2012, 07:14 AM
You know what REALLY pissed me off? Called 911 and they never came out. That gnarly of a wreck and they said that since I didn't have full coverage insurance and I seemed fine that they wouldn't send anyone out. I wrecked RIGHT OUTSIDE city limits, and they wouldn't call in city police to come to my aid, and they wouldn't send State Troopers.[/QUOTE] Shoulda slurred your speech a bit, Im sure they would have been there in a hurry!

atc007
12-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Man Chazz,you did her up right! You are one lucky SOB and don't you forget it! So glad only your pride is bruised. Life will go on. And you'll find another ride : ))

jeffatc250r
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Shoulda turned the gravity switch off!
Trucks are trucks, they make new ones everyday.

DasUberKraut
12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Hell. That'll buff out!

Glad you're still with us man.

Chazz of Blades
12-21-2012, 06:09 AM
I am too, now my issue is since the folks couldn't be talked into full coverage insurance(even if I paid, imagine that), I'm stuck with no cash, no truck, no way to go anywhere, and no hope. Merry freaking Christmas to me, right?

atc007
12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Cheer up man. You are a hell of a lot stronger than that ,and you know that !! I could type this entire page FULL of death,suicide,sickness and bad times around here lately. I'm talking,,I literally cannot even COUNT the suffering we have had all around our family and community here lately. BUT,we will keep our heads up,smiles on and forge forward,that is all we can do. If there is ANYTHING this hick up in PA can do for you Chazz,lmk. Happiness has nothing to do with cash or material things..I know things suck right now,and your parents were wrong! And things will usually get even worse when you think they can't.. But it will eventually get better. You'll see. Get out and ride. If you don't have gas money,get out and walk. Clear your head. Merry Christmas to you indeed.

Chazz of Blades
12-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I'd absolutely love to ride, too bad I've had to sell out on everything rideable to cover expenses lately. It's like a bad luck smoothie churned in the Blender of Malice.

I'm just lost right now, I have huge life changing decisions to make(Which would not be an eighth as bad if not for the wreck) about trying to buy a roller to put my drivetrain in, or going ahead and getting a small bike and continuing with my plans of moving out and moving to Decatur, GA(Which I desperately need to do if I'm going to go anywhere in life), because if I sell everything else the $700 for the roller will eat up every penny I could make to move.

Wish I could just flip a coin.

tri again
12-23-2012, 04:39 AM
wow
How many times have we been there.
The times it feels like the entire future rests on one test, one appointment, one decision.
One twisted ankle.
My last 'wrong turn' made me miss an accident I surely would've been totalled in.
Ever since then, I try to find the hidden meanings in things that happen and allow
myself to be offered options.

I know it ain't easy and I'm not trying to get all philosophical or religious and I think I hate the comments that 'things happen for a reason' "coulda been worse"
Something better will come along'
"whatever's supposed to happen, will happen' and all that stuff.

Somewhere in the mix is the perfect combination of factors that will lead you to the
'perfect' situation.

I know it's frustrating and I hate it when:
"life happens when we're busy making other plans".

Like 007 said, you are stronger than you can imagine.

Allow youself some of this 'free time' to develop some of those great ideas you've been too busy to work on.
Special tools, song lyrics, some invention you think would be a great idea.
In a way, it's freedom, even though you are feeling trapped and sidetracked.

I always had good engines and running gear and at your age, I think my engine
has made it through 4 or 5 different cars.
East coast road salt would rot the cars out from under me but we kept going.

I often wonder how some towns were started and the one I'm in right now is because the cows got away from the wagon train and when the owners went to look for the cows, the wagon train left.
So they stayed and developed their homestead and decendent generations are still here.

Keep you fire and dreams but try to allow yourself time to heal.

How you feelin' by the way?

Chazz of Blades
12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Yeah you're right. This whole thing has caused me to reevaluate my plans, and figure out a way to get close enough to civilization to have a slim chance of making a little cash, PLUS be able to spend a lot more time and really get to know my new family, after 18 years I'm finally spending time with my father's(RIP) side of the family, starting a couple months back, and I couldn't be happier with them. Which is something that I need to do before I move, more than just weekly visits. Who knows, I've just gotta take it as it comes.

Oh, and according to the doc:
Mild superficial concussion
Near dislocated hip
3 near cracked/broke ribs
Both wrists nearly broke
Whiplash
ALMOST snapped my neck(*)
Almost broke my right ankle(was caught up in the wiring harness under the dash)
And I have trauma to my left kidney

* I have a real wood grain Grant GT steering wheel, made the actual wheel myself, beautiful. warped the metal frame up pretty bad and put 6" splits on each side of every post. With my head. According to everyone if I hadn't hit the wheel with my face I would have snapped my neck on impact.

Pretty damn lucky indeed. Made me rethink a lot of my life. I shouldn't have survived, or at the very least, walked, after this one. No airbags and the seatbelt didn't lock at all.

whyzee
12-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Wow! That was a close call. Glad you are OK!

tri again
12-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Yeah you're right. This whole thing has caused me to reevaluate my plans, and figure out a way to get close enough to civilization to have a slim chance of making a little cash, PLUS be able to spend a lot more time and really get to know my new family, after 18 years I'm finally spending time with my father's(RIP) side of the family, starting a couple months back, and I couldn't be happier with them. Which is something that I need to do before I move, more than just weekly visits. Who knows, I've just gotta take it as it comes.

Oh, and according to the doc:
Mild superficial concussion
Near dislocated hip
3 near cracked/broke ribs
Both wrists nearly broke
Whiplash
ALMOST snapped my neck(*)
Almost broke my right ankle(was caught up in the wiring harness under the dash)
And I have trauma to my left kidney

* I have a real wood grain Grant GT steering wheel, made the actual wheel myself, beautiful. warped the metal frame up pretty bad and put 6" splits on each side of every post. With my head. According to everyone if I hadn't hit the wheel with my face I would have snapped my neck on impact.

Pretty damn lucky indeed. Made me rethink a lot of my life. I shouldn't have survived, or at the very least, walked, after this one. No airbags and the seatbelt didn't lock at all.

Amen, bro.

That says it all right there.

So glad yer still with us.

You (and most of us) know what it takes to check out.
Almost nothin'.
We call those an optional exit point.

You've got a whole new set of circumstances that will become clearer
as time goes by.

At this point?????
Just take care of yourself.
Never mind the truck or this or that.
Hit the pause button and listen to your body.

As long as you have heat and food, rest your weary mind and bod
and truly tune into healing.

That 'kidney' bruise is the icing on the cake.

I'm sure everything will be ok, but take your time.
A couple extra weeks healing now will mean nothing in the grand scheme of the rest of your life. I mean, what's a couple (extra) weeks compared to a hundred year lifespan?

The most important thing you can do is get centered, sleep and dream, take naps and make sure your body parts remember what they're supposed to be able to do.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help.

I'd be happy to throw a 50 or 2 your way.

I just gotta know where.

General delivery Lauderdale, GA?

Dirtcrasher
12-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Merry Xmas bud!!, trucks toast but your ok and can make yourself/buy/improve another one.

Can't do that if your gone.......

Chazz of Blades
12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Merry late Christmas to you all too! I'm still sitting around here doing nothing, but atleast I'm alive to do it.

And I'm still in the middle of Lauderdale County, AL. AKA Podunk, Nowhere.