PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advice with new wheeler it wont start

ace3llard
12-16-2012, 01:49 AM
My buddy just got an old Honda 3 wheeler that had been sitting in a field it looked in pretty decent shape and reminded me of one we used to fly around on as kids. Well we got to looking at it and the tag on the frame says Honda 1982 m we did the basics with it cleaned the carb, changed the coil, new plug, checked the few wires. The thing has good compression and is getting gas and gets a spark but will not even fire, we even hooked it behind my truck and tried pop startin it but nothing (I do remember these things being an occasional pain to get started but usually the basics did it) can anyone give me some ideas or tips to try next

ace3llard
12-16-2012, 02:07 AM
I was thinking timing maybe off but really have no clue how to do that

Big G
12-16-2012, 02:40 AM
When you pull the spark plug after cranking it over can you see/smell fuel on the plug? If you're cranking it over good, and it doesn't fire, then you should be smelling fuel as it will likely be flooded. If it doesn't have fuel on the plug, then she aint getting any...and that's where you check fuel flow from the tank to carb, etc. If there isn't fuel on the spark plug, try squirting a small amount of fuel directly into the cylinder then put the plug back in and try cranking over. Another thing you may want to check is if the choke is working. Pull off the air intake, and make sure the choke flap is closed when you turn the choke on.
Really, if you have spark and fuel she should fire, so you're not too far away :p

ColtonGG33
12-16-2012, 03:11 AM
I was gonna say the coil had that problem before but it wouldn't be the coil because your gettin spark. Maybe it has
Something to do with electrical. My dirt bike has the same problem

tri again
12-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I was thinking timing maybe off but really have no clue how to do that

try clicking on

service manual

I've also seen the spark advance plate in the head get rusty and stuck
or break the tiny little springs.

If that plate is stuck in advanced position, i don't think it will run.

Yeah, download or read the service manual

You'll get it.

kb0nly
12-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Check for spark, pull the plug and check for fuel as mentioned to see if the plug is wet. If its a 200 make sure the decompression release isn't stuck up. You said it was sitting in a field for a while, i assume since you went through the carb that you also went through the airbox. Sitting somewhere like that makes it a rodent home pretty fast. Also make sure the exhaust is clear, i have seen mouse homes in the exhaust, usually you can get it to pop off a time or two though unless its really plugged up.

Also pull the caps off on the rocker cover and make sure both valves are moving as you pull it over, could have a stuck valve from sitting so long. If you have a compression gauge i would do a check to make sure all is well, does it feel like it has good resistance to you trying to spin it over?

If it was left in a field it was probably left there for a reason! If you have spark, compression, valves moving, and its getting fuel, then it has to be timing. Checking the valves will tell you that everything is moving and spinning as it should, but if it has a really sloppy timing chain maybe it jumped and it wouldn't run anymore, etc.

I get trikes like this all the time, oh it died and we pulled it in the shed and left it sit, is the usual explanation that i hear.

kb0nly
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
try clicking on

service manual

I've also seen the spark advance plate in the head get rusty and stuck
or break the tiny little springs.

If that plate is stuck in advanced position, i don't think it will run.

Yeah, download or read the service manual

You'll get it.

Thats a very good point also, check the advancer...

tri again
12-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Thats a very good point also, check the advancer...

I also forgot about nipping the last little bit off the coil wire so the spark plug cap has fresh copper to bite into.

I think 'we' should make a list of what to look for for all models.

like what to look for when buying?

200x kick start.
250r swing bolt.
125m shift drum stopper.

I seem to be forgetting more than I ever knew.

Big G
12-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I also forgot about nipping the last little bit off the coil wire so the spark plug cap has fresh copper to bite into.

Do you mean to cut off a bit of the spark plug wire at the end that goes into the coil? If so, it's funny you mention that cause I was muckin' around on one of my trikes the other day, and disconnected the spark plug wire at the coil. When I went to put it back in, I was wondering if the "contact" would be reduced by pulling it out and putting it back in. I'm thinking that trimming the wire back a bit to ensure proper contact is a good idea, if this is what you were referring to?