PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200X frame, 82 185s motor, and spark every other pull

CodyRosa
12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok yesterday I got a 200X and a 185s. I already got everything in and my cousin hooked up the wires to the best of his knowledge ( he guessed lol) and we tried starting it. It sounded like it wanted to start a few times so we checked the spark plug. When we pull it'll go.... Spark, no spark, no spark, spark, spark, spark, no spark and so on. No order its just random obviously. When it sparks it has good blue spark. We tried another plug but it was one that i got from the guy i bought the wheeler from. I doubt both would do this. What would be any first suggestions on what to check in this situation?

Thanks,

Cody R.

Stephon_xr500
12-16-2012, 12:36 PM
From the sounds of things your on the right track, you have spark some times. I would check the timing and double check your ground connection.

shortline10
12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Remove the plug cap by unscrewing it and try to get spark from the bare plug wire to ground , this will let you know if the cap and spark plug are bad . Also as I stated in your other thread the stators are famous for going bad on those motors and would be the first place to start after the simple checks are done .

CodyRosa
12-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I believe the guy I got it from switched out the stator and then had spark but lost it because the coil. I sure hope its not the stator. I will try unscrewing the plug cap and get back to ya.

shortline10
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
The coils very rarly go bad on those motors . Stator and the cdi are the faults .

I believe the guy I got it from switched out the stator and then had spark but lost it because the coil. I sure hope its not the stator. I will try unscrewing the plug cap and get back to ya.

CodyRosa
12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
well i switched the spark plug cap and it was shocking me everytime. lol i cant see the spark as its to light out right now. i tried firing it up but couldn't give it gas because for some reason it was hard to pull over with one hand. think my hand hurts from last night when the recoil kept ripping itself outa my hands lol.