PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Big Red 200es LIKE NEW inherited please take a look!

fordtech90
12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I recently inherited this 200es Big Red Honda ATC. I had a 200M growing up so this of course brought back lots of memories but this one is same as day it came off showroom almost and is in awesome shape! I rebuilt carb new oil, fresh air filter, fresh plug and it runs like it would of in 84. Have been considering trading it for a bike for the dunes but not sure if I could ever let it go hate to see someone tear it up!

aldochina
12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
very nice man! like the suicide shift! is that thing road legal!

wisconsinite
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
that a very nice bike! if you do decide to get rid of it, there are a lot of collectors on this site who would appreciate it's condition and not abuse it.

fordtech90
12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Id be interesting in selling it to a collector, and it isnt street legal imagine it could be in some places though. Or id trade it for another bike.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
VERY nice!! :beer

Can I have the front rack?? ;) :naughty:

badass350x
12-16-2012, 10:27 PM
wow I have a spitting image of that bigred in my shop except without the turn sigs an windshield, same shifter.. even have the original ticket of origin from 84..159503159502

fordtech90
12-16-2012, 11:11 PM
yeah its pretty sweet, every nut and bolt looks like new, the rear diff has obviously never been dirty before the frame isnt even scratched up from grass supposedly only used to get mail from box which is a 100 yard jog..

captainweezy
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I say keep it. Must have some sentimental value to you.

kb0nly
12-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Can you do me one favor? Take some pictures of the controls, i would like to see how they did the horn and turn signal controls on it. I have a windshield i could put on my 200ES and i have seen bits and pieces of the turn signals but never a good shot of how the controls were done up on the bars.

That is a time capsule of a trike, absolutely stunning!!! I would keep it and ride it now and then and enjoy it.

Big G
12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Dang...that's one beautiful trike. Just when I thought I've seen the "mintest" ATC out there, someone posts another pic of one even nicer. You've got yourself a gem Fordtech90. Glad to see you're not going to sell/trade it to someone who's going to 'rat-bag' it. Sure it's okay to ride it, but that would be criminal if someone ended up with this beauty then beat the crap out of it.
Can you share the story on how you inherited it? Was it in the family? Original owner before you?

fordtech90
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
My great uncle bought it brand new, and used it to go to mailbox and a quarter mile down road to my grandmas house. Signals and horn are all on one control mounted on bars ill get a picture sometime . I was first to receive call when my great aunt and uncle both had passed and ended up with an 83 step side f100 302 4 speed truck in same condition and a 74 xlt ranger with factory ac and 390. All have service records and look like new.

dustrunner
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
ya, the story would be awesome if you dont mind ? and thats a beauty. i would keep it as i sold one of my trikes last year and regret it every day... thay dont make m likee that anymore..... just awesome thanks for sharing....

kb0nly
12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow... You really got a heck of an inheritance!

And ok on the controls, so its separate from the kill switch/headlight/start button control on the left side? I will be watching for a picture when you get time. I haven't seen one in person that had the turn signals and horn so i'm curious. I have been thinking of adding on to mine, its a utility, i haul and plow snow with it all over town.

Keepah Rolln
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Very nice...keep it!!!

fordtech90
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah I love it, and KBonly the switch is one assember has a button on top button on side closest to you and a triangular toggle on left side its a small switch clamped onto bars its factory looking and has its own wire loom not just individual wires ran everywhere. I probably shouldnt of even considered craigslist but I was dumb and decided Id see what Id get offered...talk about ticking me off..got calls offering 200 bucks, 600 and 800 bucks...are people really that ignorant? I mean come on...you can barely buy a beat up ran down 400ex for 2000, or a utility quad for 3000....and this is a collectors item (a piece of history) and people think its worth LESS....sad...I was told by several people not to take a penny less than 3,000 if I sold it and if I traded it would have to be a heck of a sport quad like I want in great condition. Some of you will probably think I was dumb for posting it but I was just curiosu as to its value..and obviously what people had to say really irritated me so I deleted the post.

kb0nly
12-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Interesting on the controls, if you can i would appreciate a picture to document it! You have a rare gem there.

As for the CL offers... No surprise. Realistically, and i won't beat you up too much here, i would say around $2500 is a realistic price considering condition and the accessories. Now some may give more, some may not. But i have seen a few mint ones in recent years and they usually top out around that ballpark. But its all worth what someone is willing to pay! If i had $3k burning a hole in my pocket i would buy it for that... LOL

Consider this... I got my 84 200ES for $500, and without any of the accessories i added to it, just cleaned up and washed, i had a guy a week later offer me $1k for it cause he has always wanted one. I turned him down of course. But it just goes to show that the price is arbitrary and mine isn't the time capsule yours is, but its very complete and only a few minor cosmetic issues to detract from the price.

fordtech90
12-18-2012, 02:58 AM
If you legitimately would like to make an offer I might just take it. I probably shouldnt be considering it but with recent threat of assault rifle ban I would like to purchase an ar-15 and with being full time student i need to pay off my truck so sometimes you have to sacrifice to get by.

captainweezy
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
The craigslist thing has been talked about many times on this site. I will not get into it because i don't want this to go in a different direction. Everyone has their opinion on it. What I would do is get addicted to this site like most of us are.:lol: This way you will see the true value of this trike yourself and keep it. Just my thoughts.

Big G
12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
This is a tough call. I agree with what a lot of you say as far as hanging onto it, because it is a gem. But at the same time you have to understand where fordtech90's coming from in that he wants a sport quad, and a utility ATC doesn't really fall into that category. It's kinda hard to justify having a $2500 investment just sitting there (and I agree with kb0nly that this is what the trike's worth) if you aren't really going to use it. Basically if he's going to sell it to a collector that will look after it, then why not. It's not like he's going to sell it off for $500 to some meathead that's going to neglect the thing. I don't know, I think you're handling the situation right fordtech90.

But for goodness sakes, post a pic or two of the hand controls...Kb0nly's waiting patiently - ha ha :lol:

fordtech90
12-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Sorry everyone been a real busy day, I won't be at the trike til weekend I don't believe or I'd have pictures of the hand controls if someone's seriously interested at 2500 not going to beat around the bush they can contact me.

tri again
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
wow I have a spitting image of that bigred in my shop except without the turn sigs an windshield, same shifter.. even have the original ticket of origin from 84..159503159502

I have that exact same chain keeping mine home too.

kb0nly
12-19-2012, 06:17 PM
LOL... Did i make it that obvious how bad a i want a picture of the hand controls?? Bad me...

I like to document this type of stuff when it comes up. I have only seen a couple of 200ES's with that level of accessories on it, so its nice to document it to either duplicate it or just for future reference. I'm a trike nut what can i say!

I wouldn't go a penny less than $2500.... If you have an eBay account you might want to consider putting it up for auction, but put a reserve on it, if it makes it then so be it, if not then you tried. If you get the right group of guys fighting over it you could get even more! I saw a really mint 250ES go for $3200 on there this past summer, it was as nice as your 200ES.

fordtech90
12-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Ill take a picture of hand controls tomorrow before I go trade it off. Trading it tomorrow for a very nice Banshee...be happy or be dissapointed your call I wanted a dunes bike so hopefully thats what ill have around 3 oclock tomorrow.

kb0nly
12-24-2012, 02:10 AM
If its a good trade i wont tell you your wrong! Just mention this site to the new owner... LOL

fordtech90
12-24-2012, 09:25 PM
kbonly I went clear to the legends in kansas city kansas to do the trade and it was a piece of crap so I kept the big red and am waiting on you to buy it lol let me know when your read to buy it!

kb0nly
12-26-2012, 02:45 AM
I wish i could... I think the woman would shoot me here... LOL

Ok so since you still have it, come on now put up some more pictures for us to see and drool over!

fordtech90
12-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Kbonly if you could text me ill shoot you the pics of hand controls 660 23 eight 678 zero. I am also supposed to do a trade tomorrow pretty nervous about it. When I went to trade last week the guys bike was a piece of crap and tomorrow im supposed to trade for an 86 250R atc. I need a bit of advice. He has 3 one of which looks immaculate, the other runs alot faster but doesnt appear to be as pristine..he only wants to trade me the 2nd best one because supposedly first one is sold..idk if I should consider this good trade or what..if any of you can help ill text the pics to you.

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Dropped a text your way!

Hope the next trade is better then. So your going to trade an ATC for an ATC... Sounds like someone might be hooked!! LOL

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Here is the 250R he is thinking about trading for.. Pick it apart guys! Yeah i know only one pic and such but from what i see its pretty nice.

Big G
12-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Sure it's "nice", but not as nice as your Big Red. But in the end, I guess it comes down to what you have a use for. If you have no use for a utility trike, and would rather rip around on a sport ATC, then this may be a good opportunity. That being said, I'm just curious what the MSRP on both units would have been when they were new? I think I remember someone saying the '84 Big Red sold for around $1500 new...how about the '86 250R? Anyone know what they cost new back in the day?

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Funny thing is they bring more then they did when new!!

shovelryder
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Why not sell it for the $2500 cash and find a mint 250r????

shovelryder
12-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Sure it's "nice", but not as nice as your Big Red. But in the end, I guess it comes down to what you have a use for. If you have no use for a utility trike, and would rather rip around on a sport ATC, then this may be a good opportunity. That being said, I'm just curious what the MSRP on both units would have been when they were new? I think I remember someone saying the '84 Big Red sold for around $1500 new...how about the '86 250R? Anyone know what they cost new back in the day?I have the dealer pricing at home....will post in a couple hrs...

Big G
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Funny thing is they bring more then they did when new!!

Yes, indeed they do. But what I was getting at is I wonder which one was worth more new...the '84 Big Red or the '86 250R? Just to get a comparison of market value at the time. Might give a guy some kind of insight as far as a straight across trade? I know it's irrelivant at this point, 25 odd years later...guess I'm just curious.

That would be great if you could post some figures shovelryder. Hey, wait a minute...how did you get a copy of "dealer pricing"?

shovelryder
12-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes, indeed they do. But what I was getting at is I wonder which one was worth more new...the '84 Big Red or the '86 250R? Just to get a comparison of market value at the time. Might give a guy some kind of insight as far as a straight across trade? I know it's irrelivant at this point, 25 odd years later...guess I'm just curious.

That would be great if you could post some figures shovelryder. Hey, wait a minute...how did you get a copy of "dealer pricing"?Lol.....Maybe I should call it pricing from a dealer?....The pair of SXs I got came with the original sales brochure for the whole model lineup written in by the salesman!

shovelryder
12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Lol.....Maybe I should call it pricing from a dealer?....The pair of SXs I got came with the original sales brochure for the whole model lineup written in by the salesman!all I had is 85..... The red was $1699, and the R was $2050...

kebby28
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
And I walk around saying my 200es is mint. Hehe, wow. Now, if you put an add on craigslist with no price you can't really complain. Some people don't know there value and give them away. Nice bike!

Big G
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
all I had is 85..... The red was $1699, and the R was $2050...

Cool! Thanks for posting shovelryder. I like getting information like this - stuff that's been dredged up from the past. Interesting that the R's cost more new than the Big Reds :wondering

fordtech90
12-29-2012, 01:52 AM
well guys i made the trade once i road it the fact that it wasnt mint went out the window. The big red was perfect in every way but the first time it got rolled or wrecked its just another 700 dollar big red. I had it listed for 2750 for weeks didnt have one bite and said on here id sell it for 2500 and had no bites. The R has paint worn off on frame and needs powdercoated plastics and stickers are all there but plastics do have normal wear seat is perfect minus one tiny little pin hole and it needs float fixed in carb its piped filtered and jetted and unknown if its ported or anything but I couldnt keep the wheel in any gear hardly. We met at a small airport and I road it down the runway even though its like 10 degrees here. The guy was cool as could be and in love with the big red although I realize I probably screwed myself by 500 bucks of value or so I had no use for the red unless I wanted to let it sit another 28 years..this R runs awesome and im going to have a blast getting it how I want it couldnt be more excited. My friend races 450r's Pro in woods racing in iowa and he is absolutely in love and wants to get one now and agreed it would smoke a stock 450r so to all the forum post about the old R's not being trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro I call b.s lol

kb0nly
12-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Good deal! Hey you think you took a $500 loss but i think you made a $500 gain.... Got what you wanted, you can tweak and fix it up as you like, and sounds like you made someone else really happy. If the guy was willing to trade chances are he wanted a utility and will make good use of it. All water under the bridge!

Be sure to keep us up to date what you do with your new project, sounds like lots of fun ahead!

When you started saying you were going to sell it i was looking at the savings account and google maps for a driving estimate... LOL... But it would have just been too much.

fordtech90
12-29-2012, 04:08 AM
It has a bolt broke off where case saver was but I hang at a machine shop we can handle needs exhaust gaskets and although it has a ftz pipe it has a dg silencer and it looks cheap and is bugging me, front wheel bearing has a little play in it and the carb needs float fixed.....oh and dip stick on right side is there but the dip stick part of it is missing...sooo 26 years later it has some things that need done but im happy it needs a little tlc but motor is very strong I cant wait to ride it and then fix it all up for riding season!

badass350x
12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Your in good shape with the oil cap,, there is no dip stick.. you pour the oil in the cap hole until it starts coming out the little hole below the fill hole an your good to go!

fordtech90
12-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Good to know! Been ridin her in the snow all day having a freakin blast i think im in love wanting to know people opinions on extended swingarms and wider axles

Big G
12-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Good to hear the trade worked out for you fordtech90! Sounds like the Big Red ended up in good hands - nice to hear it likely won't get rat-bagged and beat on. Anyways, in the end you ended up with another nice ATC, and that's all that matters! Now if you would've traded for a quad, then that would have been another story.... ha ha!

captainweezy
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Glad you got it figured out.

fordtech90
12-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Well I got a good scare tonight, took plastics/tank off to clean carb and put fresh bowl gasket which is leaking and instantly noticed coolant reservoir was oily...Drained coolant from radiators, water pump, and reservoir took reservoir off to clean it and am going to flush everything really good and run it I drained case oil and there are zero signs of coolant..im thinking some less than smart person either put oil in thinking that was the mix tank for fuel, or someone didnt clean it good when it got rebuild. Upon further inspection plug was very loose so I plan on putting fresh case oil, carb gasket, flush and refill coolant and ride it and find out if it has bad head gasket or not.

kb0nly
12-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Probably the last person was too lazy to clean that tank out good, but worst case the head gasket isn't hard to do on those. If you get into that start a new post on here with it so we can keep it going and not get everyone confused.

djm0242
12-30-2012, 01:15 AM
She is so nice- keeper! who needs a quad?

fordtech90
12-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Im going to start a new thread bout my problems. Thanks for the very quick responses guys. Its an 85 250r by the way I was misinformed yesterday.

kb0nly
01-06-2013, 01:06 PM
And now the 200ES is up on ebay for $3500... LOL...

Oh i see another thread was just started on here about that.

shadam
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
wow ... wot an emotional tale !!!

now I need to find these other threads ...