PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning this holiday driving season

Scootertrash
12-17-2012, 03:33 PM
With the Holidays upon us I would like to share a personal experience with my friends and family about drinking and driving.

As you may know, some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends.

Well, two days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit. That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home. Sure enough on the way home there was a police road block, but since it was a cab they waved it past.
I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage, I don't know what to do with it.

tri again
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Cute story. Glad yer ok. We all enjoy your wisdom.

In the olden days, cops would just tell you to go straight home
or have your (more loaded) passenger drive.
Sometimes they'd follw you home for safety.

I think a dui is around 10 grand and a year of heartache and that's
IF NOTHING happens.

and yes, we gotta whatch out for everything.
Distracted drivers, deer and pets in the road and on and on.

I hit the brakes on a shallow corner and the truck went straight.
At the last instant, I let off the brake and the truck jumped a few feet to the left, the way the wheels were pointing.

so? I missed the ditch and did not get pinned to the dashboard by the
70 glue lam 2x4's in the bed.
By rights and elementary physics, I should still be in that ditch.

..or maybe I died and this is all a dream.
If so, I apologize for haunting the posts.

HuffieVA
12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I may have to borrow this one, good story

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Aside from the fact that you could be killed or a passenger in your vehicle or someone in another car.

10K, you got off easy. I'm willing to bet I lost near 150K; I made 75K or more. Wages (lost job) Lawyer (5-10K easy) Insurance nearly tripled when I got a Cinderella license.

Breath analyzer must be installed (600$) "re-calibrated" every month for (91$) for 5 years (another 5K) classes for 16 weeks (700$)

The humiliation of being an adult and having your MOM drive you everywhere and anytime you had to urinate in a cup -(PRICELESS HUMILIATION!!)

If there was no "MOM" The house, track, backhoe,toys,animals, furniture would all be gone.

Yep, it's embarrassing like being the (village idiot). But I felt sharing it may make some of you think.

Great topic (Ooops, Scootertrash) and I'm glad someone was obviously watching out for you!

Don't text, keep calls short and remember that ANY distraction or drinking and driving can ruin many lives as well as their families.

BTW - MASS is .08, they can prosecute at .04 or about 3 beers. DON'T RUIN YOUR LIFE, I NEARLY DID......................

belly
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Another thing people don't think about, is getting behind the wheel after they "slept if off". If you have been drinking all night and sleep for 4 hours and say your good to go, your really not. 1 beer= .03 bac. 1 oz 80 proof liquor= .03. So, you take a shot and an hour later, your bac will be .015. There's a formula behind it. I've had quite a few friends lose their careers over getting a dui. Two of them recieved the dui between 730 and 930 in the morning! That was after sleeping for quite a while too. their bac reading was .083 and a .09. Didn't feel drunk but just had a slight headache. My .02 cents for the dui topic. $30 cab fare is cheapest and safest way to go! Happy Holidays

captainweezy
12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
That really is a good one. Has great meaning and is funny. I walk home if i have to, i wont go anywhere unless the ride home is taken care of. Sometimes i pay a broke buddy 100 to drive everyone around and take us home when the party is over.

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Another thing people don't think about, is getting behind the wheel after they "slept if off". If you have been drinking all night and sleep for 4 hours and say your good to go, your really not. 1 beer= .03 bac. 1 oz 80 proof liquor= .03. So, you take a shot and an hour later, your bac will be .015. There's a formula behind it. I've had quite a few friends lose their careers over getting a dui. Two of them recieved the dui between 730 and 930 in the morning! That was after sleeping for quite a while too. their bac reading was .083 and a .09. Didn't feel drunk but just had a slight headache. My .02 cents for the dui topic. $30 cab fare is cheapest and safest way to go! Happy Holidays

My buddies girl keeps 9 quarters in her right pocket. She has a beer and moves a quarter to the left pocket. And the end of the night shot of Captain Morgans is the last quarter; Thats her way of staying under the limit. She has failed her ignition immobilizer 3x in the morning. Soon as that machine is removed, it will be her 3rd DUI.

Scootertrash
12-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Methinks some of youse sarcasm detectors need adjustment.

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Methinks some of youse sarcasm detectors need adjustment.

That for me?? (confused) I'm just educating people on what can happen if you do choose to drive; It can ruin your life. Not proud of any of it.

tri again
12-18-2012, 05:32 PM

yupp, primitive chemistry.

IF I took a shot of whiskey and ran to the corner store and home in 5 min, I'm still sober.
If I get pulled over and it takes them 45 min to test, the alcohol level is peaking.
Or shot at the bar and drive home kinda scenario.

I personally will NOT drive at all, ever under ANY circumstances having worked in hopsital for years.

Don't get me wrong, a 12 pack and my 1947 jd tractor, mowing perimeter fire roads is nothing but fun for me and a lovely way to spend a day on the farm.

Just like anything else, needs to be treated with the ultimate respect.

My neighbor rides a bike past my house at 6:30 to get on the bus and then bicycles another hour to get to work...EVERY day.
He left at 6 am yesterday and got home at 7pm.
Soaked and frozen because of a couple dui's. 30 degrees rain snow mix AND he works outside all day.

Thousands of dollars with an interest rate he'll never be able to keep up with.

Thank god he never hurt / killed or wrecked anything but still.
His quality of life is something I cannot imagine.

Scootertrash
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
That for me?? (confused) I'm just educating people on what can happen if you do choose to drive; It can ruin your life. Not proud of any of it.

No Sir, not directed at you. I think some may have missed that the original post was a joke. Then again I could be wrong.

Drinking and driving is bad news. I did more than my share in the 80's (when I was in my 20's) got caught and paid my dues. Thankfully I never hurt or killed myself or anyone else. I was extremely lucky.

Dirtcrasher
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
^ Thank you for clarifying that. I only shared to help someone else as this stuff can destroy all you have worked for. Maybe so but it's our own choices...... :beer