PDA

View Full Version : Homemade exhaust gaskets?

Big G
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
I recently replaced the muffler on one of my '83 200E's. Well to my surprise the gasket that goes on the end of the exhaust pipe where the muffler attaches was 20 odd bucks (for a dinky donut ring). Well, I was reading another post, and it made me think....hmmm - I wonder if a guy can make homemade exhaust gaskets for the next time I need to swap out a muffler :wondering. Is there some type of soft metal that a guy could buy in the correct dimension and slide it over the exhaust pipe to creat a gasket for the muffler to attach to?

fastatc70
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I recently replaced the muffler on one of my '83 200E's. Well to my surprise the gasket that goes on the end of the exhaust pipe where the muffler attaches was 20 odd bucks (for a dinky donut ring). Well, I was reading another post, and it made me think....hmmm - I wonder if a guy can make homemade exhaust gaskets for the next time I need to swap out a muffler :wondering. Is there some type of soft metal that a guy could buy in the correct dimension and slide it over the exhaust pipe to creat a gasket for the muffler to attach to?

I have tried a couple of things with varying success. I have tried solder, copper tubing annealed, and some fiber gasket material.

The tubing and solder work the best.

Solder melts at 600 deg so if the machine runs hot that might not be a good idea.

Big G
12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I have tried a couple of things with varying success. I have tried solder, copper tubing annealed, and some fiber gasket material.

What is copper tubing "annealed"?
Where would you solder it? If the tubing fits nicely over the exhaust pipe then the muffler clamped down around that wouldn't it be sufficient?

belly
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
i picked up 6 gaskets off ebay for $12 shipped about a month ago. sometimes deals pop up on there. If you have a bearing shop or a tractor store near you, i'm sure you could find something that will work there for next to nothing.

kb0nly
12-18-2012, 06:24 PM
That little soft copper donut can be had a lot cheaper. I know the local small engine shops where i can get them for $5 each, and i see them online on ebay for around $8 a piece most of the time. I bought a dusty old honda dealer box full of them off ebay a couple years ago for $20, i have one or two left that i am hanging onto in case i need them. They are out there for cheaper you just have to hunt for them.

fastatc70
12-20-2012, 12:18 AM
What is copper tubing "annealed"?
Where would you solder it? If the tubing fits nicely over the exhaust pipe then the muffler clamped down around that wouldn't it be sufficient?

What you would do is find the right size tubing to slip fit in between the muffler and the head pipe cut off as long as you need.

Next you heat the piece of tubing with a torch and let cool slowly then the copper becomes soft and will make a better seal.

The same can be done with the head to pipe connection just use the tubing as a washer.