PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200 oil question...I know, another one...I'm sorry

Big G
12-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I've had my '83 ATC 200 (bare bones model) since 1994. For the past 18 years I've used that trike well. I haven't abused it, but it's seen a lot of long/hard kilometers...hunting, hauling, etc. Anyways, I change the engine oil once every year, and have always used basic Quaker State 10w-30 oil. The engine runs like a dream. Starts with two pulls (even without choke - no matter how cold it is) and doesn't burn a drop of oil. She has good compression, and tons of power. Here's where I'm getting to my question. I've never really gave much thought to the oil I use, but after reading several posts on this site, I'm starting to hear alot about "wet clutches" and "only use 10w-40", etc.

My two questions are...what exactly is a "wet clutch", and if I've been using Quaker State 10w-30 for the past 18 years with absolutely no problems, should I switch to 10w-40 ATV oil at this point?

remsandpets
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I am no mechanic by any means, but I use wet clutch oil in my ATC200 1983 model. I'm not sure of its past life at all. I purchased it and changed the oil just to start somewhere. I personally would stay with what you have been doing if it works for your machine for this long. I'm glad to hear you have had this trike for this length of time and use it well. Post some pics of your trikes, looks like you have a good garage full of fun.

kb0nly
12-19-2012, 06:09 PM
They mean the clutch is immersed in oil or has oil flowing through it, hence its a wet clutch, not kept dry in a sealed portion of the motor.

I say keep doing what you doing. I have been running Castrol GTX 10w-40 motor oil in mine, and thats all i have used in trikes for 20+ years. I just grab some oil and dump it in, if i didnt have that available i would get some Havoline or Valvoline whatever the local station has on the shelf. If you have been doing it for 18 years why change! If it aint broke dont fix it.

tri again
12-20-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm sure there are hundreds of pages regarding this topic.
The search key will have more info than imaginable.

I personally buy cases of 10-40 to use in everything on the farm.
In a simplistic way, my thoughts are that it is better to change oil frequently
and always have some on hand.

My fall back position is to follow the manual and listen to the engineers who built these things.

On the other hand, I just love how we can 'slip the clutches" on these semi automatics.
Say hold up or down on the shifter and let off slowly, is like slipping a manual clutch.

Some of my semi automatic transmissions, slip and some do not.
I think it may be because I don't use oil for wet clutches but have no good info to back that up.