PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo...will there be ice in the Northeast this year????

ChrisD
12-20-2012, 11:04 PM
We would be gearing up to start racing in 2-3 weeks, but it is warm again this year.....everyone please turn off your SUV's. We need ice!

http://home.comcast.net/~atc330rrider/thetwins.jpg

MIK6
12-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow! Your ready for ice! Im still riding trails and mud!! Lol
MIK6/ Mike

Bryan Raffa
12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
dont sweat it it .. it usually freezes in Jan! ...lol about time you got the kids toys off them! for some reason they look slower......LOL!

riverrat
12-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Looks slower...LMAO Ice is on it's way Chris, think positive happy thoughts. Hopefully Bryan will answer his PM's before the ice comes....... :/

ChrisD
12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Lol! This is actually a pic from 3 years ago. It was just to get everyone's blood flowing. Actually the 330 is in a bunch of pieces. The 330 won't make it out this year. The 250 is running good though. The big bore game has apparently stepped up in the past year from what I see on the boards.

jays375
12-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Well I am getting my trike ready tomorrow.The studs are going on!Hopefully will get to try it this year.Chris where in NY do you race?

brapp
12-21-2012, 10:03 PM
you can keep the ice i jsut want snow this year lol

riverrat
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Pay attention in this forum jay, we usually announce where we are racing/running.

Kintore
12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Im studding mine up in a week or two for RaffaFest 13'!!!

Cant wait.... just gotta cultivate positive thoughts, Be a farmer of them

eddie pettengil
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
YEP!!!, January 13th, Flat Track Evolution,Outlaw Quad Series (trikes welcome) in Southern Maine. http://flattrackevolution.webstarts.com/outlaw_quad_seriess.html

johnny's X
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
You guys ice race? Like on the lake? WOW that sounds like fun ;)

riverrat
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Eddie, if we don't get ice here, I am going to try and head up there. Need to figure out where to stay or if I am going to try and do it in one day.

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
hey eddie ... get me a exact address... how far are you from the races? do you have ice yet?

jsmay
01-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Raffa any idea of when ice Fest would be..?

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
president day weekend just like every year.. tentative on ICE ... so far there's NONE at the shallow end of the pool. we could talk about this till our lips turned blue... but the big warm up next week .... trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro never looks good... need a week in the teens............................................. .................................................. .................................

eddie pettengil
01-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Bryan & Riverrat, we already have 5-6 inches of ice. I run the series posted above so a trike class can be added at any time or run against the quads (no entry fee) but you should be registered in the states we run in. Its nothing sanctioned or anything so its unlimited race time. I could also get you guys out on the ice Saturday and Sunday. Here is the problem, im 6 hours away from you Bryan (I think). We race on 4-5 different lakes so I would mapquest Somersworth NH 03878.

ChrisD
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
I would be up for the Winter Carnival if there is no ice to the south. Is the carnival on Presidents weekend? I know that has conflicted with Ice Fest so I have never gone, but if we don't have ice, then we go north! Slow bikes or not, I will bring my best game.

It's supposed to be below freezing until Tuesday, then warm a little for 3 days, then get colder agian according to the forecast. I'm surprised you don't have ice yet Bryan. GWL has 1/4 covered.

I am also going to check out Deep Creek Lake in Garret County Md. The web cams showed ice today. I am going to check in the morning when there is better light.

Bryan Raffa
01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
ya same week.... ill let you guys know what i come up with today on the winter carnival.... I know how the AMA can be....

eddie... you mean registered.. like license plates?

Bryan Raffa
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Listen Up just talked to frank.... we are 89.9% welcome at the lake george winter carnival this year he will be callin me back with the 100% ,,,He was more than excited to hear about us guys!

So if I don't have ice that's out other option!!

eddie pettengil
01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Bryan, atv should be registration in the state we are racing in. We have never been checked on 3 of the 5 lakes we race on but you never know. Good luck with the ice this year guys. Ill be checking in.

fabiodriven
01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
If registering in Maine is anything like registering in NH then it's a piece of cake. In NH it's like $75 and all it takes is a bill of sale to get registered. I usually write out my bill of sale in the parking lot before I go in the store (joking of course;)) and that's that. There are many local stores that sell the registrations. Bait shops, mini marts, hardware stores, whatever. You just have to find one that's open and pop in.

eddie pettengil
01-04-2013, 07:48 PM
maine lets non residents do it online. Its real easy.

Bryan Raffa
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Bryan, atv should be registration in the state we are racing in. We have never been checked on 3 of the 5 lakes we race on but you never know. Good luck with the ice this year guys. Ill be checking in.

thats weird,,, I'm reggied in NY ... never heard of having both ...

eddie pettengil
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
This started 4-5 years ago. All these snowmobile/atv riders that take the trail from Vermont into New Hampshire then into Maine have to registered in all three states. Its crazy.

Bryan Raffa
01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
what...... that's Crazy! never knew that.....

ChrisD
01-04-2013, 10:16 PM
We may be in luck. A friend and weather guy on TV pointed out a weather block forming over Greenland....I know, I know, wtf, but he noted that from the 15th to the 18th, things will get colder for us.

As far as the licensing issue, I would Che k state reciprocity laws. For example, my bikes are registered in PA since I ride there mostly and NY recognizes PA registrations even though I live in MD. Our house in NY is also covered. I would do a little research.

riverrat
01-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Ugh,,,,registered in 3 states? OMG. I am registered with NY plates.

sledcrazyinCT
01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
This started 4-5 years ago. All these snowmobile/atv riders that take the trail from Vermont into New Hampshire then into Maine have to registered in all three states. Its crazy.

That sucks anything with a VIN should be registered in your home state and be valid thoughout the US. States can set laws for insurance minimums or should make it mandatory/finable if you don't belong to or pay club dues that help cover trail maintenance if you want to care to ride in the state.

jays375
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
160684Well I am ready!

ChrisD
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Looks sweet!

riverrat
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I called Maine DMV who then turned me to the inland and fisheries wildlife who told me, yes you do need to be registered in Maine to drive an ATV there. It can be done online, and though the stickers can take 10 days to get, the paper you can print out and that would be good enough.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/atv_snowmobile_watercraft/registration.htm

riverrat
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
You guys ice race? Like on the lake? WOW that sounds like fun ;)

With blow up lambs too!

ChrisD
01-08-2013, 03:21 PM
hey hey hey.....easy there. This is a family oriented site.

eddie pettengil
01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
errr, first race cancelled in Maine. 8 inches of ice but really soft. rain tonight and 50 deg on sunday.

riverrat
01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if you were going to race.This weather SUCKS!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

riverrat
01-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I raced in Glen Spey NY this weekend. Made some friends up there. The ice was doing waves by Sat eve though, and we had to rush off. Good news is, it will be 3 degrees wed night here, and cold all week. Let's hope it's enough to freeze Greenwood Lake. If not, I am sure Glen Spey will be good this coming weekend. I don't want to overstep my welcome there, so next weekend I'll go up with a few more guys. There is no public access to the lake, so access is through someone's house. They actually have 3 lakes there that are all frozen. I mentioned to run icefest there, and I think these guys would love it, but it would probably have to be a one day thing.

Bryan Raffa
01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
IF we have to do it in one day.. so be it.. I'm up for it..

eddie pettengil
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
We got our first race in also, 9 inches of soft ice here. No trikes but you are always welcome. We even got our name out on a New England Racing website called www.gasjunky.com. One of the owners wrote up a article for his front page and took a ton of pics that came out awsome. you can see them if interested at that link. Next race is this weekend in Berwick,ME if anyone is close by. www.flattrackevolution.com for info

Bryan Raffa
01-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Nice Eddie were starving here.. cant wait to wake up and see the lake froze!

CRAZY70MAN
01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Nice Eddie were starving here.. cant wait to wake up and see the lake froze!

:lock::lock:.....come on Ice!!!!

eddie pettengil
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
I really hope you get it this week, it's plenty cold for it. I don't make the trip to Icefest but get just as disappointed as the guys that do when there is no ice. You guys are my source for sliding trikes.

Bryan Raffa
01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
We got ICE... first one is yesterday... froze out 50' floating slush in the dark.... second one is today.. locked up Black ice! lightly snow coved now...

thank god were in the perfect spot ... 20miles north a foot of snow... to the west a foot plus!!!! off erie... it scabbed over and No snow load... 20's and teens till next week then mid 40's... that's ok keep's the SNOW OFF! :Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:Bounce ice fishermen both ends of the lake today.

CRAZY70MAN
01-23-2013, 10:17 PM
hooray!!!!!!

eddie pettengil
01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Riverrat, so how did the trike go? I know you we're eager to get your chance on the ice. That power valve kick ass or what?

riverrat
01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
It really worked out well. I've done some other stuff to it as well. What I was trying to accomplish was to make it easier to ride, since I am getting older I figure any advantage would be better. When I was in the the turns, it was very forgiving, I could be in any one of 3 gears almost, with no dead bands. It's a smooth power band all the way through with power to spare.

Kintore
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
How we looking RAFFA?!?!?!

Bryan Raffa
01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Gotta tell ya its F'ing cold... gotta dig out the Ice drill in the morning...will have ICE Report first thing ..Promise!

riverrat
01-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Got a solid 4" here on the last parts that froze.

CRAZY70MAN
01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
wake up and go drill the ice Raffa!!! Stay cold baby....stay cold!!:Bounce:lock:trr

MIK6
01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Its -6 here rite now!!
RAFFA...... you up yet?? Lol

MIK6/ Mike

Bryan Raffa
01-26-2013, 09:41 AM
alright .... but its cold out......LOL stay tuned!

Bryan Raffa
01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Guess its time to start a NewThred... note to self dont stand behind the chainsaw when it dips into the water!:lol:

SOLID 4+ Now I wanaa ride today but I got a ton to do!!!:(

CRAZY70MAN
01-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Guess its time to start a NewThred... note to self dont stand behind the chainsaw when it dips into the water!:lol:

SOLID 4+ Now I wanaa ride today but I got a ton to do!!!:(

Thought I was gonna see something bloody??? Glad it was just water buddy!!

eddie pettengil
02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
So, did anybody get a good ice racing season in. We are on our 8th weekend. We had to move from lake to lake but managed to get 2 Outlaw series point races, a King of the lake, and 4 practice and play days. This Sunday is a possible but have another 6-9 inches of snow coming. We still have about 14-15 inches of ice left but the weight of the snow is making things challenging.

I blew the 310 up in the second race and was forced to go to a old ported jugg with a 15 year old piston. There was a night and day difference between the 2. The 310 (trx9)has a lot more pull and seams to never stop but lacks on the bottem end. The old ported jugg goes from a bogg to max rpm intantly with just a crack of the throttle but has no pull at all. Now I have something to work with, I need a combination of the two jugs. I will have both port timed and see if I can get the 310 ported to what im looking for.

Hope everyone had a great year. Already thinking about hitting up that ice race in New York next year to support the 2 stroke Trikes.

riverrat
02-27-2013, 07:56 AM
We didn't have any organized racing here, but got some weekends out on the ice tuning our bikes. Seems like everyone had some sort of problem or two this year. I wanted to do a lot more tuning and trying different setups. It's raining here now, and the ice is fading fast. This weekend was a slushfest, but still fun.

Your problem with the 310 may not be the porting. It could be pipe and carb combo. What size carb are you running, and what pipe?