PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200ES Big Red Pull Cord

chris_drover
12-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi, I just pulled the starter rope out of my recoil starter AGAIN. I'm pretty sure I need to replace it this time because it seems too short. Could someone please tell me how long the rope should be and what should I pick up as a replacement such as diameter and material? Thanks in advance

-Drover

kb0nly
12-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Hit your local farm supply store or small engine shop if you want to get it local and buy some good quality starter rope, take a piece of your broken rope with and just compare size, i forget what size it is, 5/16" maybe, or its 1/4", dang this rotten memory of mine...

As for length, you need to turn the recoil by hand and have a large clamp to hold it, i usually spin it by hand pulling the remainder of the rope out then put a large strong spring clamp on it to hold it, cut the knot and remove the old rope, slide the new rope in, tie the knot and then hold the new rope and remove the clamp, then just let it slowly retract the new rope until it stops, then cut the rope and install the pull handle, pulling a little bit back out so as to preload the recoil starter a bit so it keeps the pull handle tight to the rope hole.

I have never measured the length of one, i just give the starter what it wants and cut it off. Buy at least a couple feet, i usually buy like 5-10 feet every time i buy stuff like this so i have extra laying around for the next rebuild.

I take it your electric start doesn't work?

chris_drover
12-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks. No my estart don't work. The battery was good till it got cold here, but it didn't work then either. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet but I am going to put the battery in the house and let it warm up then try and see if its still good. Thanks again

-Drover

RIDE-RED 250r
12-22-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree with KBONLY.

In a pinch I have used regular rope, para-cord and other such types of rope only to have it fail prematurely. Get some actual recoil starter rope. The way it's made it lasts like it should. Proper diameter is key as well, since too fat of rope will cause you to wind the pulley to full capacity yet due to larger diameter you won't have enough rope to give you the length of pull you need without pulling all the way to the end. In my experience, too short of a rope and pulling all the way to the end when starting puts undue stress on the rope and knot and ends up causing it to pull out.

kb0nly
12-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes this is one case where size is important... LOL!!

I know some guys like the coated steel cable but i always found in the winter time it got too stiff and it wouldn't recoil, so a good quality rope is the best bet, and it won't wear everything faster like the steel rope does.

Ok on the battery, get her warm, put a small 1amp smart charger on it, thats the best way to maintain these. I bought a 1a smart charger that comes with a pigtail that can be permanently attached to the battery and routed the plug down to the left by the sub trans lever. When i am done using it i just plug it in and let that charger top it off then float it until i need it again, in this cold that keeps the battery alive and ready. Its a good $20-$30 investment considering the cost of the batteries when they fail.

When it comes time to troubleshoot the starter problem drop a new thread on here and we can help troubleshoot that. I have a 84 200ES that i had to go through everything to get the electric start working. It starts with one or two pulls of the recoil anyway but its dang nice being able to push the button and go!

tapage
07-25-2018, 11:38 PM
So, i had to pull a piece of rust out of my recoil starter and the spring came flying out. Whats the best way to get that bad boy rewound without putting someones eye out?