PDA

View Full Version : Cam timing chain question on atc250es

Big OL Red
12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I recently aquired this bike and adjusted the valves, it still ticks in the top end when motor is under a load. Going up hill, accelerating when in gear, but doesn't seem to tick when I'm in natural and rev the motor.
Cam timing chain? I do t have anymore money now to spend to take it to the shop, is it a complicated fix?
Or can it be done by a novice mechanic and a service manual? Biggest question? Can I still ride on? I just got this thing damnit lol! Thanks!

RIDE-RED 250r
12-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Have you cleaned the carb thoroughly?

If you have a fouled carb it can lean the fuel mixture enough to cause it to run hot enough to detonate under load. Also, excessive carbon buildup on the piston crown and combustion chamber can raise compression slightly causing detonation under load as well.

In my experience, noise associated with valve-train wear/improper adjustment is usually evident wether there is a load on the engine or not. And it will usually lessen in intensity with higher RPM's.

Are you positive the noise is in the valvetrain? It is possible you may have a worn wrist pin bearing or lower rod bearing.

Big OL Red
12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
To be honest with you I am not positive exactly what it is I have just done some research and talk to a few people online and that's the diagnosis I have come up with. Add an idol it does not kick if it's a neutral and I revved the motor it does not kick it only takes at high rpm when the motor is under a load and I do not think it is the valves

RIDE-RED 250r
12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Ok, so let's start simple... Remove, disassemble and thoroughly clean the carb to eliminate a fouled carb as the issue. If the machine is stock with no add-ons (ie, aftermarket air filter, exhaust, etc) verify that stock jet sizes are installed and clean and clear. Also, run some Seafoam fuel system conditioner/cleaner as a little added insurance. In my experience, it's the best fuel additive to address minor carb fouling issues... key word here being minor.

If after you have gone through the carb you still have this problem it may be time to pull the topend and start looking for the cause of your engine noise. Start there and keep us posted as to what you find.. Good luck