PDA

View Full Version : Trail Pros... Whats the Big Deal?

ColtonGG33
12-23-2012, 12:14 AM
hi everyone, for some reason it seems that everyone on this forum hates trail pros.
im not sure whats the big deal is they are awesome tires have them on my 225dx and it will go anywhere with them bad boys.
also people say they're ugly but there really not they just look like a awesome knobby tire
so if someone can explain why they hate this tires, i think it will be interesting to hear what you guys think

DasUberKraut
12-23-2012, 12:24 AM
They are heavy as hell and they burn out clutches.

But hey...more power to ya. I'll my rock my Bear Claws on my 125m in places you can't get to. :beer

KI4UJO
12-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, to begin, trailpros are heavy, and have no flex. Since most of them seem to be on solid axle trikes, it makes a very rough ride. Also, they don't clean very well in mud.

And they look horrible.

Other than that, they are a great tire.

Tri-Z 250
12-23-2012, 12:39 AM
What hate TrialPros? I think their the best thing on Craigslist to look for! You can find them on all kinds of machines...My favorite is finding them on rare hard to find 250R's(any year). Heck every ad I run across their in "like NEW condition" with tons of life on them. I'm sure when the world ends it will be nothing but scorched earth and Trailpros left.

kb0nly
12-23-2012, 01:29 AM
LOL.. They are a tire that everyone loves to hate on here.. But they are affordable, give great traction, and they wear like iron, takes a long time to wear down a set of trailpros. I have them on my 200ES and love them, are they heavy, yeah, are the ugly, to some, do they get me everywhere i need to go including winter plowing, yes! I have had trikes with various knobby tires on them and they seem to spin in places the trailpros will grab, i can't speak for the mud problem as i don't go mudding, but i don't have any trouble with them in most conditions that i use them.

Some day i would like something with a different tread pattern to it, but i can't afford that and these tires i have now are barely broken in tread wise. I think they will dry rot and crack before i can wear down the tread on them.

Dave Little
12-23-2012, 01:58 AM
They're stupid heavy....
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/IMG_0426.jpg
I have Maxxis 4-snows on a set of polished AMS aluminum wheels that come in at 12 or 13.something lbs. for the entire wheel! 20.34 without the rim? Holy Sh*t:p

If you had nothing but trail pros strung around a tugboat say, every barge that tug tried to push or even get close to would get it's steel plating all fooked up, probably sink the bast@rd too.
You newbs gotta learn....these tires are nothing to dick around with.

DasUberKraut
12-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Add another 5 pounds cause you have less than half tread left Dave.

just ben
12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I threw one in a bon fire,it was in the fire for 15-20 minutes before it started to burn.I blame walmart for these tires being everywhere. They carried them in the stores back in the 90's for about 25 bucks each.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Eh, I think Strykers are WAAAAAY worse than Trail Pros...

Just saw a Banshee on CL last night with Strykers on the rear... WTF!!??

ColtonGG33
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Haha all your comments are funny they are super heavy. But I still don't know why you guys complain about the mud.. I
Was just in the mud today with the trail pros it was about 2 ft deep and went thru no problem same as the snow. I got a flat about a month ago and was gonna buy some maxxis razrs for it but I found a matching trail pro brand new so I just got it
And when they put it on the rim they didn't set it right and went flat on me on the road. I got so mad but a can of fix a flat
Sealed it up perfectly. I'll have to post some pics of it with my trail pros:) its not painted yet I'll have to do that first

Louis Mielke
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
The thing is, yes they're cheap, and yes, they are a functional tire. BUT after you try just about an other tire (application appropriate tire) you realize how poor of a tire a trail pro is and the weight alone robs your machine of power. They are a liability. If you have no tires then trail pros function, but if you have options otherwise just about any other tire will be a better tire.

fabiodriven
12-23-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/68733-Carlisle-Trail-Pro-Tires

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/89933-picture-of-trail-pro-pleases!?highlight=carlisle

I'm sure there's more than that on here too. Feel free to post some more links guys. There can never be too much information on this subject.

ColtonGG33
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
http://m1354.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/ColtonGG33/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2343_zps15246cf6.jpg.html?o=0

I think ALL of you guys will enjoy this pic!!!

kb0nly
12-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I've read a lot of those threads on here... All i can do is laugh at them. I have a set of trailpro's on my 200ES and they have been the most durable and reliable ATV tires i have owned in the 20+ years i have been riding trikes, quads, bikes, etc...

Sure its a utility trike, i don't rip around the dunes or through the mud holes with it, but i have never had problems with getting traction. From wet grass to wet pavement to mud to snow to ice, its seen it all and handles it no problem. I put a set of chains on for plowing, but its fine otherwise when not pushing the plow. As for robbing power, i don't feel it, its got plenty of get up and go and hauls ass just fine. I pull trailers and lawn equipment and even drag trees with it, i don't spin out like some were complaining. I also haven't had the mud problems but whatever.

I took both rears off and put tubes in them because i was tired of leaking bead seals, not the tires fault but the wheels, and despite your picture of the scale with one of them on there i don't believe it cause i have tossed them around and they don't feel as heavy as a 20lb bag of dog food. Maybe its a difference in production, mine are pretty old.

If i ever wear em out i might get something better, but for now its hard to spend money replacing tires that do their job.

DasUberKraut
12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Trailpros outlast the life of the machine.

xRideRedx
12-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I have trail pros on my 250sx, they came with the bike when I got it a few months ago. Cant wait to see how they do in the snow.

ColtonGG33
12-23-2012, 11:28 PM
To Ride Red- they are awesome in the snow, I just got out of a 3ft snow bank with it just leaned back and bam I was out,
And awesome with drifting in the snow too

Big G
12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
They're stupid heavy....
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/IMG_0426.jpg

Dang...those ARE ugly. The tread looks like an Egyptian petroglyph or something. But hey, it's about function and if they work good and are a reasoably priced then why not!

atctim
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
If you look at them just right, they do spell BOOB on the tire. Nothing wrong with that!!!!!!!

hoosierlogger
12-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I have trail pros on my 250sx, they came with the bike when I got it a few months ago. Cant wait to see how they do in the snow.

Ylou will most likley be disappointing. I wouldn't put trailpros on a machine I was giving to my worst enemy.

hoosierlogger
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
If you look at them just right, they do spell BOOB on the tire. Nothing wrong with that!!!!!!!

That is because only a Boob would buy them. There is a reason they are the cheapest tire available.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-25-2012, 11:08 AM
FTR: I have ridden a few machine with them.. For a lower HP, non sport type machine and just for everyday riding in the back forty I have no problem with them.. My brother had a 250sx he put a set on and they actually did pretty darned good even in beaver meadow black mud so long as there was a bottom to it! LOL!

I would probably put a set on my BR or something... I have a set of OEM Warrior rears on my BR now and they really work good for general purpose use. Actually very impressed with traction in snow and mud. I was just pulling my kids behind the BR in a toboggan sled yesterday...

Would I put TP's on an R, X or other sport/high performance machine??? Not a chance!

briano
12-25-2012, 04:56 PM
They are a great tire. Some of the doomsday preppers are using them to build their underground bunkers because they are stronger and will outlast a shipping container. Lol

kb0nly
12-26-2012, 02:04 AM
FTR: I have ridden a few machine with them.. For a lower HP, non sport type machine and just for everyday riding in the back forty I have no problem with them.. My brother had a 250sx he put a set on and they actually did pretty darned good even in beaver meadow black mud so long as there was a bottom to it! LOL!

I would probably put a set on my BR or something... I have a set of OEM Warrior rears on my BR now and they really work good for general purpose use. Actually very impressed with traction in snow and mud. I was just pulling my kids behind the BR in a toboggan sled yesterday...

Would I put TP's on an R, X or other sport/high performance machine??? Not a chance!

Agreed... They are not sold or made to be a performance tire, they are a general use utility tire in my opinion. I had my 200ES going through 13" snow and drifts deeper than that, they did a fine job in the snow. Plowing and hauling i got no issues. Now if i was building up a trike to rip through the trails at top speed and be a performance monster, then no..

Tires like anything else have a purpose, you don't buy cheap tires and expect performance out of them, you buy cheap tires to beat on them hard and see how long you can get out of them. I honestly think the others that posted it are right, the tires will outlast the trike. LOL