PDA

View Full Version : Should I jump on this or not

knny
12-25-2012, 07:09 AM
I found this add on craigslist last night and im not sure if I should jump on this trike or not I personally believe it is a good deal but im just now getting back into trikes so need a little advice. I found a 1985 honda big red 250. The owner saids it in good shape,starts easy. It just needs a bearing or two to move forward correctly.It moves in reverse no problem but when you shift the gears to forward one of the bearings starts making a loud rattling in the drive train.the bike is complete all the lights and etc. The plastic look to be in good shape for age. Doesnt say what letter models but would changing out this bearing problem be a complicated choir and where could I get these parts(website, dealer, or do I have to get real creative). Owner is only asking 500.00.

crjanow
12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
if it doesnt move at all forward it is probably more than a bearing. bearings would make a noise in both directions. still might be worth the money though depending on the problem and the cost for parts to fix it.

Howdy
12-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Most likely it's the rear differential going bad. If the machine won't go forward, but will in reverse then the differential is probably totally shot and will need replaced. If it was just making noise then there is a chance it could be rebuilt. But not turning in one direction tells me it has been bad for a long time and still rode. Never a good thing.
Howdy

jeswinehart
12-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Of course it is hard for any of us to diagnose on Internet but I am kinda leaning towards it being the one way bearing on the right side of motor inside the one clutch. Easily enough replaceable by you. Kinda a pricey bearing at 80-90 dollars (can not quite recall what I paid for a new one sevral years ago but it was right up there)
You have there a Honda 250ES (also know as Bigred) and appears to be a 85 model.
The made 85,86,87 with subtle motor difference mainly being the crank shaft sizing on the 86/87 over the 85 model. Decal differences from year to year but for the most part other then motor crank shaft sizing, virtually all the same.

john

jeswinehart
12-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Oh crap, I just re-read and he did say drive train, not motor area.

Lil Earl
12-25-2012, 10:06 AM
it shuld not be a bearing because it would do it in both directions but who knows without being there but sounds like the differential. chech the cost on parts and go drom there

shovelryder
12-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Worst case you'd get yer money and then some parting it out. I'd get it.

Tcat
12-25-2012, 04:35 PM
i would agree with howdy on the diff being bad

M.Pargiello
12-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I would get on it! $500 is ok for the shape it seems to be in, if it's too much to fix mechanically then part it. You can make $500 no problem in pieces

kb0nly
12-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Its worth the $500 easy, if you had to part it out you got more than that in parts. The differential is likely hosed on it, i have heard and seen them in that condition before and passed them up unless they were otherwise in really good shape so i knew it was worth the money. The rear ends do show up on ebay from time to time, and some guys on here might have one, but expect to tear off the rear end and go through that at a minimum. My guess is it will be a total replacement however.

Woodenhead
12-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Probably be able to do a bit of on site diagnosis. Then guilt him down another $100. Mine was listed at $500, it was in decent shape but missing some parts. I got it for $350 but put about that into it again to end up with a real nice machine.

knny
12-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Well guys I thank u for you replies and information. Nice to know help is there. But of course this was a craigslist post and still no response from the seller so no longer going to persue it due to leaveing town today and going back home. I thank u for all the information still.

dustrunner
12-27-2012, 04:44 PM
have a safe trip,,, that's craigs list for ya....people not deleting ads after a sale and alot of b.s but you never know....