PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx fouling plugs

3wheeldevil
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
My 85 250sx shut off the other day. I checked the plug and found it fouled out. I also noticed black smoke from the exhaust. I consulted the owners/service manual and readjusted my Carb to factory settings. This stopped the smoke but not the plug fouling. I took off the Carb and rebuilt it. Thing was bunked up like all get out. I put it back on and now my trike won't start. Any suggestions?

dustrunner
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
black smoke means feul,, blue smoke is oil... did you try a new plug .

3wheeldevil
12-30-2012, 01:47 AM
I bought two new plugs. (All this before I rebuilt the Carb) put the first in and it fouled within five minutes of riding. Put the second in, same story. Guess its on its way to the shop. :(

Flyingw
12-30-2012, 02:44 AM
I'm between projects and I'm bored. If you bring your SX to me, I'll rebuild the motor allot cheaper than a shop will. Where is Pine Bluff AR? I'm in OKC.

3wheeldevil
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Pine bluff is in central Ar. Its about five hours away from OKC.

Flyingw
12-30-2012, 03:33 PM
The offer is there is you want me to take care of your motor. More than likely, with the plug fouling your getting the valve stem seals are bad. If it were me, I'd rebuild the entire motor. Reason being if its fouling plugs then the motor needs to come out and getting the motors out and back in is a big pain so if it has to come out, the motor might as well be rebuilt. I have these motors wired so rebuilding it isnt a big deal for me but the mileage between us may be an issue for you. In any case, taking it to a shop to have the motor rebuilt may cost you more than the trike is worth. parts needed to rebuild the motor are;

Seals
Gaskets
Clutch plates
Clutch Shoes
Bore Cylinder
Piston & Rings
Timing Chain
Intake & Exhaust valves (if bad otherwise I lap them)

All of these parts are available on Ebay cheaper than what a shop will charge you. There is even a guy that sells freshly bored cylinders with pistons so one stop shopping for that.

I will also go through your trike and fix what I can or identify what needs attention. Like I said, I'm between projects and I'm bored out of my mind so I'm more than happy to work my magic on your SX. The end result will be a fresh motor good for another 25 years. The decision is yours Brother so let me know what you want to do. Jim

3wheeldevil
12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Man if you weren't so far away I'd be making the trip. I'm good buddies with the mechanic that's gonna work on it but I appreciate your offer.

Flyingw
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh cool. It always helps to have connections. Good luck with it. If I can help, just give me a shout.

3wheeldevil
12-31-2012, 12:54 AM
I deffinately appreciate it man. This is my first trike I've owned. I love it and want to keep it so my kids can enjoy it as well.

Flyingw
12-31-2012, 01:37 AM
I understand that Brother. Take care of it and it will take care of you... and your kids. Post up some pics.

Flyingw
12-31-2012, 01:43 AM
These are my SXs. Gunny, Section 8, and Storm Trooper.

Section 8 is an 85 with an 86 swinger and rear end with an ES motor.

Gunny is an 85 no mods.

Storm Trooper is an 85 with a 350X front end on it.

Ya, I have a thing for SXs.

3wheeldevil
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm guessing Storm Trooper is the white one. They look great man. I'm planning on buying another one and painting it. I was gonna paint the one I have now, but its just too cherry. I'd feel like a molester if I messed with it. Lol

Flyingw
12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Yep, Storm Trooper is the black and white one. One thing to keep in mind is the original paints protecting the metal on your has exceeded its service life. There are no solvents left in the paint so dont think the paint will protect the metal as its supposed to. Repainting isnt just making it look good but its more for corrosion control.

Storm Trooper is for sale if anybody is interested. 1800.00. Its was completely gone through and rebuilt top to bottom. It runs beautifully. The head pipe has a ceramic 1800 deg coating. The muffler has a 1200 high temp PC finish. Everything else was powder coated. Surely someone out there would like to have this beauty to add to their stable. It needs nothing.

3wheeldevil
12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
That someone is me! Lol. If I had the funds, I'd buy it today. Would be well worth the trip.

3wheeldevil
12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
My tank is plastic so no corrosion worries there. The racks have been sanded and painted to keep them from rusting.