PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a front tire blows out?

CodyRosa
12-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm wondering because my front tire is JUNK lol so many cracks. Can't beleive it holds air. What I want to know is what would happen on a flat dirt road if my front tire blew? Would I keep going straight but not be able to turn or handle it well.. would it .. (the worst lol) catch and flip over forward. I'm afraid of going to fast because of this until I get a new tire. I've never really experience any tire blowing out before.. I was in a CJ5 jeep when the tire fell off lol.. but we kept going straight.

Thanks,

Cody R.

sp8twn
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Forget about going strait wen that baby blows LOL!!! Better off changing it or at lease put a tube in it!!BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!!!

fabiodriven
12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
You wouldn't even know it happened. No change in handling characteristics whatsoever.

CodyRosa
12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Lol I doubt nothing would happen haha. As long as im not going to flip over forward im good.

TrickShot
12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
You wouldn't even know it happened. No change in handling characteristics whatsoever.

Very true when running a trailpro up front! :-P

kebby28
12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I had a front tire blow out on a 350x while I was going full speed down the railroad tracks. God was with me because I stayed between the rails as I slowed down. So many bad things could have happened so I would take it slow until you can get a new tire. I wouldn't put a tube in a front tire thats as dryrot as you describe. It may be easier to puncture.

CodyRosa
12-28-2012, 09:23 PM
anhuonglan12.. what? and Kebby.. wow you got lucky lol. My dad just said they wont blow out it'll just lose air. The cracks are awful... beyond repair lol. I'm just going to buy a new one. It's 30 bucks to get a tube or 60 for a new one i believe. I'll just spend that extra 30.

coolpool
12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
anhuonglan12.. what? and Kebby.. wow you got lucky lol. My dad just said they wont blow out it'll just lose air. The cracks are awful... beyond repair lol. I'm just going to buy a new one. It's 30 bucks to get a tube or 60 for a new one i believe. I'll just spend that extra 30.

Wise move getting a new tire. If you can't afford new, I'm sure another forum member in your area would have a good used one? Although it's not hard to eat up the savings in gas fetching it. I'm not sure what that post is about either, (anhounlan12). Kind of freaky. Maybe the mods can ban them for being utterly useless.

CodyRosa
12-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Hahaha Utterly useless. I think I want new this time lol.. every tire I have gotten has been dry rotted.

kb0nly
12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
All that will happen is... POOF... WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP... Then you on the side of the road cussing... LOL

Don't ask me how i know that....

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Haha ok that's good.. as long as the end result is me alive! then I don't care haha.

kb0nly
12-29-2012, 03:02 AM
The two times in my life i have had this happen, even at top speed, it was just let off the throttle hold the handlebars tight and apply the rear brakes. These tires are running at such a low pressure already that when they split and go flat they just compress and your down.

I did see a guy had a blowout once that over reacted and cut too sharp of a turn with the handlebars and flipped it sideways, so main thing is maintain, keep calm. Then figure out how to get home.

I should tell you about the time i made it home with a front tire stuffed with grass from the ditch and held together with duct tape... LOL

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 03:09 AM
LOL Duct tape? Did you happen to take a picture? now that I re read what you put that's another LOL because I thought you meant you hit the ditch and it got a few weeds stuck.. but if i'm right you literately STUFFED a tire with grass HAHAHAHA ... and im happy to hear that's all that SHOULD happen.. see in my mind I was picturing the tire blowing off the rim completely, then the rim catching the dirt road, picking up the back end and flipping over on me haha

Howdy
12-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Duct taped tires? No way it would work. Oh wait, I have seen that done before. Pics for proof? No Problem....

Yes, the duct tape sealed the tire up. It actually held air for over a week. No I am not this desperate to duct tape a tire. I bought this atc70 like this.
Howdy

160076 160077 160078
160079 160080

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 03:28 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH Wow I can NOT believe that actually held air for that long. I think I would be afraid to ride it like that lol.

kb0nly
12-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Looks like it has a matching duct tape seat!!

Here is what happened, i was out riding a friends 200E one day, the front tire was getting pretty cracked on it but its been like that for years and still being ridden, so i took it down a gravel road and was cruising along, next thing you know im like seven miles from home and i hear PFFFFTTTTTTT noise and then POOOOFFF, whomp whomp whomp... I pull over to the side and its like a soggy donut, its shot. The split went right down the middle on one side, about 1/2 of the circumference of the tire is gaping open. I sat there for a bit and then realized there is a roll of duct tape in the milk crate he had strapped on the back. So i grab that and i am about to tape it then i realize that wont do much good because the tire is so wide at the bottom from being totally flat that when the top comes around it will just keep spreading that tear around till i have two tire halves. So i start pulling tall grass from the ditch and i turn the front tire so the split is facing forward and i literally stuffed it full like a pillow, then after i had as much packed in as i could i taped side to side the length of the split then about four wraps around the entire circumference of the tire and off i went, slow at first, but it was holding together so good i sped up. By the time i got back i was doing pretty much top speed. He couldnt believe it when he saw it.

I had some pictures of this MacGyver fix taped up on the wall here for years, finally lost them and i doubt i could find them anymore. But true story, it was like that for about two weeks until he got a used tire from a local shop and replaced it.

CodyRosa
12-30-2012, 05:59 AM
LOL wow Kb0nly that's hilarious. I wish I could have seen it in person I would have been on the ground laughing and shocked it worked lol. Well now I no if my tire blows to stuff with grass hahaha.. I'm seriously doing that when mine blows lol.

Hippie459MN
12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I think I have almost seen it all. Thats funny that is actually held. I did duct tape an airline on a semi trailer once and it held for 2 days and got home and about 20 min later it let loose. lol

rjs89ia
12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
guess i better add duct tape to my riding kit. large quantities of tall grass are hard to find here in the desert but definately can be rounded up. the tire blowing out and flipping over has kinda been one of my fears also, dieing in the process wasn't a worry though road rash yes. it only reminds me of the "i believe mike hallett" articles on the home page the one where the whole frame tube broke off and the front went one way and the back went the other. or the time he had the head on with the buggy and it completely ripped the axle and carrier off of the swinger, he hit so hard it turned his helmet around on his head and he thought he was blind and it broke his eye socket while it was at it. if he survived we all can :D