PDA

View Full Version : What did your family or friends say when they knew you were into 3 wheelers?

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 03:47 AM
So what do they think? Do they ever make comments about it? Or do they just not care that much?

Mine think I'm crazy.. whenever I say I'm going to buy a part for mine he say's I should save my money for a quad.. and that I'm going to get hurt someday lol. My mom is the only person that did NOT care at all surprisingly. Most people tell me I'm always going to get hurt and they flip way to easy. LIES!!! haha It's all in the rider.. not the machine.

I'm just curious as what most of your family's/friend's reactions are.

Howdy
12-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I was told that I would probably be hurt badly or Killed within a year or 2. Now 25+ years later, their views on 3 wheelers has changed. I don't get chastized for riding / buying / selling them.
Howdy

WisconsinJohn
12-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Everyone thinks I am crazy too. But a lot of requests to ride, which are usually denied cause there drinkin. And then there are those who shouldn't be allowed to drive a quad, let alone a trike...
Although the guys who ride dirt bikes are always welcome to try....

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I have had a few people want to ride mine.. they say they love it lol. One even wanted to buy my extra one that needs a little bit of work.

Scott9
12-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Aren't those dangerous? Or why didn't you buy a quad?
My dad had three wheelers so he didn't care but the rest of the family and friends think im nuts lol

Mr350x
12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
My step dad said "I want one" he now has a 85R! :) the rest of my family dont mind because my uncle was into thim back in the hayday and they know better..

gus
12-29-2012, 03:25 PM
My mom doesn't care for them cause she knows I'm not stupid with my bike. But I get a kick out of my friends on what they say. My girlfriends brother has a dirt bike we went riding with a couple of friends of his and as soon as I pulled up they started to stair like if they seen a monster or something. They all told me that I better keep up or else they will leave me in the dust turns out it was the other way around lol. My girlfriends brother was so amazed at me riding my trike and taking those tight corners at 4 gear he said I was mostly watching you and not the trail lol.

MIK6
12-29-2012, 03:35 PM
When i had 2 or 3 they shook their heads at me.. once i hit 20 they all thought i was nuts.. BUT when we get together for a ride and i say pick something.. they love it!
Its a blast to take a bunch of friends on bigbore atc70s barhopping.. i love teaching someone how to use a clutch on my 200X.. and if they know how to ride the expression on someones face the 1st time they crack the throttle on my 87 300cc Tecate is priceless!
I love my trikes!

MIK6/ Mike

sp8twn
12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
AREN'T THOSE THINGS ILLEGAL??? LMAO!!!Nope, there not!:TrikesOwn

CodyRosa
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Haha my said that like a month ago.. Aren't they illegal? I just laughed and said Nope

Big G
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I've been riding trikes since '94, and have never owned a quad. I own four ATC's now, and it wasn't until recently that friends/family started to take notice and comment on the 3 wheelers. They mostly just ask why I don't use quads. I try and explain the reasons to them, but I don't think they get it. I think you have to own one to truly appreciate them!

Jeff B
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Most are pretty charged for me to have a hobby, and a toy I enjoy. Not only does it keep me a little more sober, it keeps me busy. I get the occasional question of legality, and always take the time to explain.

HappyTrail
12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I get mad props from my fellow friends who ride. I collect and wrench on 110's and 90's mostly. They Love to look the over and reminisce. I'm very guarded about who I let ride them. Actually I keep a nice 125m that i could part with for the ones who want to spin one. As long as they have collateral and some kind of experience. I Love to see the Looks on the faces of the ones who think I'm crazy. Heard the word illegal several times. Even have a friend in AA who thinks I need a twelve step program for all the time and money I spend. I'm a recovered addict for around 7 years now. I don't go to meetings I run my own successful business have a great network of friends, lots who ride, and wrench on these puppies. Keeps me out of trouble. That's my biggest argument. SO A BIG MIDDLE FINGER TO THOSE WHO HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT ANY OF MY THREE WHEELERS! I LIVE TO RIDE!:naughty:

KI4UJO
12-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Not much, they bought the first one and got me addicted...

jb2wheels
12-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, wife's not interested. She worries but is happier I'm not commuting to work on my motorcycle.

Daughter rode the 70 when I first got it until she crashed and got a couple of stitches in her hand.

However, these are 2 of my favorite pics:

ME AND MY DAD:

ME AND MY SON:

CodyRosa
12-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Great pics! Love the trike with You and your son. What is it a 350x or 200x? I can't even tell lol

M.Pargiello
12-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Growing up my dad always said to not ride them, and up until this past year I have been against having anything to do with them. Rode one as a kid and couldn't get the hang of it so back to dirtbikes I went. Then I bought a few and started on my 200X. I honestly won't change now. I love my bikes, but trikes took the #1w spot and I never liked quads.

Best part is, my dad wants one after riding my X :) I asked him why he was so against them when we were growing up. He told me if we rode it anything like how we beat our bikes, he thought we would be dead :).

My uncle on the other hand will take any opportunity to comment on the subject. I ask him to ride it once and he won't. Big bad motorcycle guy scared of what a little 200 might do :)

jb2wheels
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Great pics! Love the trike with You and your son. What is it a 350x or 200x? I can't even tell lol

It's an 84 200X with white plastics, Baja style lights (Hellas), and an e-start Loncin engine. I had 2 until I got my 350X up and running. After that, little X's collected a lot of dust so I sold them.

Justin.Sargalis
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
don't kill yourself

80's atcdude
12-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Its is funny when you talk with people and tell them you have ATC's, I get both reply's either I had a three wheeler when I was younger and haven't seen one in a long time,they where fun, Or I get the ones that think there illegal to own and there dangerous. I thought they where banned because they tip over and all that other tv crap they heard over the years. I also had people tell me where do ride them, I heard there banned from most riding areas. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
I have been riding three wheeler since 82 and I've been okay so far. I guess I'm lucky.

loshe191
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
No body said much when I was younger.Now a couple of my freinds i used to race and ride 4-wheelers with think I am nuts for switching back to 3-wheelers.But my wife and family said you always had fun on them before.

Audio_Phill
01-06-2013, 11:27 AM
My aunt who used to work for the government in customs says "Be careful, those are the most dangerous vehicles on the planet" my cousin, studying to be a district attorney says "didn't Congress make those illegal" no one else really says anything, I've converted a few friend to like them over the years. Been riding since 87-88, guess they figure if i was gonna die on one it would have happened by now lol.

Gripit'n'ripit
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
A few family swear they're the devil. Friends on quads look at me disapprovingly, then embarrassed when I pass them. Guys on dirt bikes look impressed when I can keep up. When I go on a road trip and put the trike on display for the whole world to see, people just look confused.

johnnykool6
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
"They're DANGEROUS!!! Why do you think they're ILLEGAL!!" And what do you say back except... " JACKA$$" 160710

1982-Honda-185S
01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Being only 18, Almost 19 I grew up with my dad having the 185S i now have for as long as i remember, And my Uncle, Which is who my dad bought the 185s from 15 or so years ago had one as well ( cant remember what Kind or Size it was, Pretty sure is was another Honda though) and That was the first time i flipped backwards on a 3 wheeler was with my uncle on his going through a ditch at my grandparents when i was like 6 or so. Also my neighbor has a Kawasaki so none of my neighbors really car either. Its quite nice.

shovelryder
01-09-2013, 08:52 AM
My family sees me as the poor dirtball I think. They all get the new vehicles, cars, homes,toys, and payments.....every couple years. I like my old stuff.....Wife has a newer really nice van.......My stuff is old....The 1978 camper, my daily driver 62 VW, my old harley, and my three wheelers.....But my house is friggen huge and gorgeous.....and on the lake.....and on the golf course......This kills them slowly....LOL!!!

beadle
01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
my better half says there "stupid" i disagree! The family dont really say anything about me having a trike because ive been riding since i was 6 and im almost 37 now, but if i talk about putting one of my kids on one you would swear the sky is falling, but its ok to have them on quads. when i tell friends about my tri z the eyes just light up its a great feeling! Then there is the people that want to argue with me that they are dangerous and i have to tell them over and over "THE MACHINE IS NOT THE DANGEROUS PART ITS THE RIDER" and i tell them ive had more oppses on my quad then ive had on my trike.

CodyRosa
01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
It just makes me mad when they say there dangerous. Like you said its the rider. When i first rode a 3 wheeler a few months ago I was stiff. I barely moved(i new i had to move with it but i was scared i'd move to far and flip) now im all with the machine and tilt at every time. The only time i got closed to flipped(it was almost sideways lol) was when i spun out on ice and caught a pile of snow, luckily i put my leg out(i know.. i shouldn't) but im glad I did as it saved me. If it was a quad it would have flipped... stupid people believing the new's before the riders. lol