PDA

View Full Version : Timin chain adjustment. 185

fordrangerracer
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a 1981 Honda XL185s pretty much the same engine as a ATC 185. My issue is that my timing chain is very loose. When you go to kick it the cam jumps 180 degrees. So I can't start it to adjust it. Is there anyway to adjust the tension without it running? I know the adjuster is threaded with a 3mm bolt with .5 pitch could it be adjusted like that? My second thing is I'd like to replace the chain but we can't seem to remove the flywheel and the puller for it is just a bolt. So we tried threading a bolt in and cranking it down. The flywheel is real stuck. Any advice on either? Thanks, Gary

kb0nly
12-31-2012, 06:28 PM
If your timing chain is very loose you got other problems. Make sure the spring on the bottom of the tensioner is sitting right against the case and make sure you got it loose enough to release it so that it drops down. It should be plenty tight to keep it from doing that, if its not then your chain is stretched or too long or the tensioner isn't against it correctly.

I have replaced the chain in more than a few 185/200 motors and usually its just replace the chain, release the tensioner so it goes against the chain and then get it running and do a final tweak.

It will take some force to get the flywheel to pop off. If you don't have an impact driver then put a large breaker bar on the bolt and use a rubber mallet and smack it to shock it a few times. A strap wrench around the flywheel and a second set of hands to keep it from turning helps on really stubborn ones.

Jeremy_red
12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Hes right. Once you get the flywheel off, you will have access to timing chain tensioner. You will surely find your problem there. Sometimes those flywheels get stuck good.
I usually pry them with prybar or screw driver from differnt angles.

fordtech90
01-01-2013, 03:52 AM
x3 and also your going to want to replace the gear as well especially since it has been jumping teeth if you dont youll likely end up in same predicament later down road.

fordrangerracer
01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Well I'd like to let you guys know I found a temporary solution! I tried that 3mm screw in the adjuster and it worked. I'm going to have the flywheel pulled off since I can't seem to figure it out. I ordered a new timing chain, cam gear and guides. A few of my buddies and I are going for a ride in Centralia this weekend so I really wanted it fixed quick. Does anyone have a good idea on how to get the flywheel off? I tried threading a bolt in and using an impact to pull it off somewhat worked it now moves very very little. I'm afraid to pry on it I would absoutely hate to crack the case. We were spraying it with PB every hour for a few days. The local motorcycle shop charges $40 to remove it and thats with me taking everything off and it all ready for them, seems very high. Thanks, Gary

sammiefish
01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
there is a small tool called a flywheel puller....
probably $20.... really a threaded sleeve with a bolt threaded in the middle
if youre gonna monkey with these things its well worth it...

kb0nly
01-01-2013, 09:11 PM
The 185/200 motor doesn't use a puller, its just a metric bolt, i bought one from the local farm supply store. Turn the bolt into the flywheel and it will push on the end of the crankshaft and force the flywheel off, yes it can seem really really bad things might happen but just keep tightening that bolt, like i said if no impact then breaker bar and mallet and shock the heck out of it. They don't really rust on normally as that whole area is wet with oil, they are just pressed on tight and it takes a lot of force to pop them off. I guarantee if you take it to a shop they will grab their bolt, the factory oem "puller" was just a bolt as well, and they will toss an impact gun on there and hammer away until she pops.

Also to replace the guides you have a lot more teardown to do, you will need a top end gasket kit as you will have to pull the rocker cover, cylinder head, exhaust, the whole top end has to come off except for the cylinder/jug unless you want to replace the base gasket. The tensioner can be replaced with just removing the rocker cover and pulling it up and out, but the front chain guide has a molded pin that sits in a groove between the cylinder head and the cylinder. So inspect and go from there, it will be a full top end teardown to replace the guide and tensioner bow.

You can replace the chain without having to pull the top end apart, all you have to do is remove the spark advancer and pulse generator and base then push the tensioner down with your screw and then tighten it to hold it down, then just remove the cam sprocket and slide the sprocket onto the thinner part of the shaft then get the chain off and drop it down into the bottom end. I use a small piece of wire or even string and drop it down from the cam and then put the new chain on the crankshaft sprocket then pull it up to the cam with the wire/string and put it all back together and then release the tensioner. The last one i did took about an hour because of stuck gaskets that had to be scraped off.