PDA

View Full Version : Illinois gun owners, you may want to take a look at this.....

Scootertrash
12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Just passing this along. If you send emails, be polite and direct to the point, no long drawn out rants or ramblings. I've been told by a couple of former legislative assistants (the ones who read your letters and emails) short, sweet and to the point is important. Long drawn out letters get tossed.

Rumor has it that a lot of state officials don't think any type of gun legislation will happen at the Federal level, so they are going to try to institute their own state level laws

From the ISRA:

URGENT: Illinois Anti-Gun Legislators That YOU Voted Out of Office to Use Their Last Remaining Days in Legislature Exploiting Lame Duck Session and Holiday Break To Impose a Draconian Gun Ban

The NRA-ILA has just learned that anti-gun legislators backed by Governor Quinn are deceptively trying to sneak through a new draconian gun ban as early as Wednesday while the legislature convenes for the Lame Duck Session from January 2 to 9. You voted many of these anti-gun legislators out of office, and now, in their last days as law makers, they want to quietly trample on the rights of all law-abiding gun owners in Illinois. It is imperative that you contact your state legislators IMMEDIATELY and continue to do so over the next few days. The Lame Duck Session will end on January 9, so this bill will be moving at lightning speed through both the House and Senate, with very little time to spare. Your phone call or email will play an important role in halting this assault on your Second Amendment rights.

From IL-Gunlobby's Facebook page:

URGENT -- Illinois Gun Ban in the Works. Senate President John Cullerton plans on attempting to pass a Feinstein type semi-auto ban and magazine ban during the lame duck session that starts on Jan 2nd. Call your senators and representatives today and everyday until Jan 9th.

This could be voted on as early as the 2nd and they will be in the 3rd & 4th as well. They are trying to sneak this in under the radar while no one is paying attention.

Updates as we learn more. . .

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32771&hl=

"Tvandermyde" is the NRA Lobbyist for Illinois.

NRA Link:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/12/urgent-illinois-legislature-to-attempt-passage-of-gun-ban-this-week.aspx

This is for a STATE OF ILLINOIS gun ban - NOT a federal gun ban. Call / e-mail your state house representatives and State Senators and POLITELY urge them to oppose any new gun restrictions in Illinois. Posting on their Facebook walls would be good too.

Lookup your elected officials HERE:
http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=IL&view=myofficials

Remember - we're not contacting Mark Kirk or Dick Durbin - this is a STATE of ILLINOIS ban we're looking at. We don't want a CA, NY or NJ type ban on our fundamental rights.

Illinois Hometown Forum Link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/507193_.html&page=1&anc=5505128#i5505128

rjs89ia
12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Best of luck.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
12-31-2012, 10:51 PM
just emailed my reps

86T3
01-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Whats a NY type ban?

Scootertrash
01-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Whats a NY type ban?

NYS Penal Law § 265.02(6) makes it a class D felony to possess "a large capacity ammunition feeding device," which is defined in Penal Law § 265.00(23) as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after [September 13, 1994], that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." Possession of unmarked "large capacity" magazines made after the sunset of the federal ban thus subject New Yorkers to felony charges.

NYS Penal Law § 265.0(22) "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or
(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following
characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the
pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm
with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
unloaded;
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;
or
(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such
weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known
as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all
models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street
Sweeper and Striker 12;

Bear in mind that a large majority of hanguns manufactured have a STANDARD capacity of more than 10 rounds, meaning it's a normal design for that firearm and has been for years, including before the 94 ban.

86T3
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such
weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known
as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all
models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street
Sweeper and Striker 12;

This is confusing to me. As i read it it sounds like any AR would be illegal since theyre all varients of the colt? But i know thats not the case. Can you decipher it?

Scootertrash
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
It can be very confusing, but you are right for the most part. Anything that looks like a colt AR15 is considered an assault weapon and is illegal if it has 2 or more of the "features" listed in the first part of the law. The weapon only has to LOOK like an "assault weapon" to be illegal. What makes it look like an "assault weapon" at least for the definition of the ban we are talking about here, is 2 or more of the "features" mentioned in the first part of the law, which, if you have any basic knowledge of firearms, don't make the firearm any more deadly than a firearm without any of those items. If only one of the mentioned "features" is present it is still legal. One of the other main things this law does is control large capacity magazines over 10 rounds, made after September of 1994.

And don't forget this part:
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;

As far as the "frames or receivers" portion of the ban: The "frame" or "receiver" is typically the portion of the firearm that the Feds consider necessary for the firearm to actually be able to fire. On an AR15 it's the lower receiver, minus the stock and LPK or lower parts kit. It looks like this:

On a semi automatic handgun, it is the portion of the pistol that is left once you remove the slide, which contains the barrel. it looks like this:

The first bill that sounds like it is coming up for debate by politicians I will post later. It reduces the number of those "features" to 1, amongst other things. It's not pretty.