PDA

View Full Version : Ever thought about a bus as trike hauler?

whiteman350x
12-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Some of my riding crew has been kicking around the idea of buying a used school bus and using it for our triking vehicle. We would make a door in the back large enough to load the trikes. Build fold down cots on the walls so when the trikes were out you could sleep on there. Put up a wall about 4 seats from the front so gas fumes ect. wont kill you as you travel. Ahead of the wall have space for the riders to sit and play cards ect on the road trip. What do you guys think? Also how many trikes could you fit in a school bus? Sounds crazy I know, but we are thinking about trying it.

J.D.
12-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Actually that's an AWESOME idea! place a 460 Ford engine in there, some 5 speed tranny and that would be a good deal. Or make a Cummins diesel work into it heeheheh!

smokinwrench
12-07-2003, 09:14 PM
You see them at Little Sahara all the time. You can buy a nice bus with a small Cat or scummins motor dirt cheap with low miles. I have never seen it, but I've been told about a bus that goes to Little Sahara and they haul the trikes on top of the bus. I was told they have some really long ramps and drive them right up (quads) not sure if it true on not. I think you could turn a bus into a nice cheap transporter.

Josh

thefox
12-07-2003, 10:01 PM
That would be awsome. I saw in one of the 4 wheeling mags. a while back about someone who had the back of their camping trailer fold down and then they would drive 2 quads in. When they got there just unload and you have your camper back minus a few cabinets.

-Andrew

smokinwrench
12-07-2003, 10:53 PM
That would be awsome. I saw in one of the 4 wheeling mags. a while back about someone who had the back of their camping trailer fold down and then they would drive 2 quads in. When they got there just unload and you have your camper back minus a few cabinets.

-Andrew

You can buy campers like that brand new they are called Toyhaulers. Friend of mine just bought one I havent seen it yet, I know his wife isn't to happy about it.

Josh

Crash104936221
12-08-2003, 12:20 AM
LMAO ya i h ave thought of it and drew up plans on how to work it all out back when i was in school about 4yrs ago

as for changing the engine out WHY???? that engine in there is designed to make lots of weight move just change out axle's ring and pinion for a lower ratio(more speed) set that engine is designed for long hrs of hard work

i would think about tweeking the suspention a little though as without alot of people (weight) in the vehicle it rides rough so softer springs or a transports air ride setup might work sweet

i will look to see if i can find my drawings and stuff
drew it up to have beaver tail style gate (Hyd. lower and raise)

Joe

YAMAHA_Jim
12-08-2003, 07:17 PM
An old school bus is nice but not to comfortable,and they ride rough on the highway.
http://cruiseamerica.com/rv%5Fsales/funmover/
I'd say these are the best ATV transporters.Motorhome in the front and enough space in the rear for 2 or 3 ATV's. Shower ,sink ,electric,microwave,TV,furniture,fridge,nice soft beds,etc.Too bad they cost a fortune.My dream is to own one of these and live on the road with my ATV's and have millions to fund it all,,,keep dreamin. :)

Bigdaddyjlove
12-08-2003, 07:23 PM
whiteman,
Just talked to some folks about the bus idea. Seems that as long as there won't be more than 8 passengers, and we can convince the good folks at the DMV that it is a converted motorhome, then no CDL will be required.

I still think this is a good solution if we want to try glamis, pizmo, Loretta Lyn's ect...

Crash104936221
12-08-2003, 08:02 PM
what's a CDL?

Joe

Bigdaddyjlove
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Comercial
Driver
License

You hoser :-D

yamaha225dx
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
A cdl is a Commercial Driver's License. It is required to drive bigger vehicles such as 18 wheelers, school buses and such.

Andrew
12-08-2003, 08:30 PM
then owner of 3ww.org has had a school bus trike hauler for a while now

Rod
12-08-2003, 11:14 PM
I work for an rv dealer & we carry 5 different kinds of toy haulers. The fun mover is cool but not at all worth the money. You could buy one of our 30' 5th wheels toy haulers & a new diesel truck & have a lot of money left. You can look at them on my works web site. They link you to the makers site. Go to www.triplearv.com then go to new inventory. If anybody has toy hauler questions let me know.

TimSr
12-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Some guy had one at the Badlands that was a full size schoolbus, but the body was cut down to about 1/3 and turned into a camper, with the back portion of the bus being used like a flatbed on which he hauled his rail buggy.

At another place we ride, somebody had one with most of the seats removed, and just the back was cut out to be a drop down solid hinged gate or door that also acts as a ramp. He too was hauling a rail buggy.

Crash104936221
12-08-2003, 11:59 PM
thanks for the info bout the CDL not used to hearing it called that A/Z is whats said im my family ontairo thing? o well
thanks
Joe