PDA

View Full Version : 2013 firearms legislation thread

Scootertrash
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Ok Gents, I waited until after the new year to post this, but it has been floating around the net for a good week or so.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said this in mid December:

“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets. So there will be a bill. We’ve been working on it now for a year,” Sen. Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

This isn't something new. All they needed was an incumbent president with nothing to lose to push an anti gun agenda.

She is planning to propose this bill ASAP:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms;
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.

The current fee for registering a firearm under the NFA ( this is typically for machine guns, short barreled rifles, etc) is 200.00.

Do you really want the .gov to know what you have in your home for weapons that are already legal? Fingerprints? Pictures?

ETA: Fineswine....errr, umm, I mean Feinstein was instrumental in the 94 ban and has been a thorn in the side of gun owners for an eternity. Here is what she had to say about her intentions in '94. For those of you who may want to claim "it'll never happen" I highly suggest you think again.:

http://youtu.be/blXkl9YVoHo

Here is where you can find contact info for your politicians:

Speaker of the house John Boehner:
http://www.speaker.gov/contact

Congress:
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Or these two :
Representative Finder
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Senator Finder
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Most importantly, BE POLITE!! No matter how peed off you may be, be polite.

Hand written postcards and letters stand out because they are pretty rare and obviously personalized. No one does it that way any more - they send mass emails, preprinted cards, etc.

If you include your full name and address you should get a response.

Here are a few simple, to the point draft letters for you to use. Feel free to edit them as you wish. Obviously, if you don't belong to the NRA don't say you do.:

A nice short one:

Dear XXXX
As one of your constituents, I want you to know that I support no change to the 2nd Amendment as it stands.

Further, as one of your constituents, I support no further gun legislation restricting ownership of any type of firearms.

This is a very important matter to me.

I fully intend to support your next direct opponent should you vote otherwise.

Sincerely,
xxxxxx

Another:

Dear <Senator/Representative> <their name>

I'm writing today to express my opinions concerning the calls for even more restrictive gun laws following the shooting in Connecticut recently. To put it simply, we already have more gun laws than we need, and enacting more in a panic will do nothing to make anyone safer.

The best response to the recent tragedy is to encourage states to properly remit information concerning citizens who have been lawfully adjudicated mentally defective to the existing FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) so that they will be prohibited from unlawfully obtaining a firearm.

Further restricting the freedoms of law abiding citizens like myself based solely on the actions of mentally troubled criminals is not an acceptable answer.

I am the NRA, and I vote.

<your name>

Another:

"Protect the Second Amendment

As a citizen of XXXXX I ask you, a representative of the citizens of XXXXX, to not support any further infringements upon the Second Amendment.

The previous Assault Weapons Ban had no effect on reducing crime throughout the U.S. and did not prevent such events as Columbine or Jonesboro. It certainly would not have prevented the most recent events in Connecticut which already has its own Assault Weapons Ban.

If you wish to truly make a difference please support mental healthcare reforms as well as the removing of gun free zones (free target zones) from our schools and protecting children with armed teachers and security personnel.

Any further attempts at restricting the gun rights of law abiding citizens will result in my seeking your removal from Congress in the next election cycle and actively supporting your opponent in any way possible.

Sincerely,

XXXXX"

Another shorty:

Subject: Protect the 2nd Amendment

I vote in every election and donate and support my local candidates. I want you to know that I support no change to the 2nd Amendment as it stands and I do not want you to support any further gun legislation restricting ownership of any type of firearm. This is a very important matter to me.

Sincerely,

John Q. Public
123 Mocking Bird Lane
Anywhere, WA 12345
123-456-7890
john@qpublic.com

There you go guys, I've done all the footwork, all you have to do is print/sign/mail or call or email.
Do it often, do it alot. We want them to know that we are watching

Not to sound like a Richardhead, but if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. ;)

Let's Git er dun!!

CRAZY70MAN
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok Gents, I waited until after the new year to post this, but it has been floating around the net for a good week or so.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said this in mid December:

This isn't something new. All they needed was an incumbent president with nothing to lose to push an anti gun agenda.

She is planning to propose this bill ASAP:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

[/B]

The current fee for registering a firearm under the NFA ( this is typically for machine guns, short barreled rifles, etc) is 200.00.

Do you really want the .gov to know what you have in your home for weapons that are already legal? Fingerprints? Pictures?

ETA: Fineswine....errr, umm, I mean Feinstein was instrumental in the 94 ban and has been a thorn in the side of gun owners for an eternity. Here is what she had to say about her intentions in '94. For those of you who may want to claim "it'll never happen" I highly suggest you think again.:

http://youtu.be/blXkl9YVoHo

Here is where you can find contact info for your politicians:

Speaker of the house John Boehner:
http://www.speaker.gov/contact

Congress:
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Or these two :
Representative Finder
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Senator Finder
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Most importantly, BE POLITE!! No matter how peed off you may be, be polite.

Hand written postcards and letters stand out because they are pretty rare and obviously personalized. No one does it that way any more - they send mass emails, preprinted cards, etc.

If you include your full name and address you should get a response.

Here are a few simple, to the point draft letters for you to use. Feel free to edit them as you wish. Obviously, if you don't belong to the NRA don't say you do.:

A nice short one:

Dear XXXX
As one of your constituents, I want you to know that I support no change to the 2nd Amendment as it stands.

Further, as one of your constituents, I support no further gun legislation restricting ownership of any type of firearms.

This is a very important matter to me.

I fully intend to support your next direct opponent should you vote otherwise.

Sincerely,
xxxxxx

Another:

Dear <Senator/Representative> <their name>

I'm writing today to express my opinions concerning the calls for even more restrictive gun laws following the shooting in Connecticut recently. To put it simply, we already have more gun laws than we need, and enacting more in a panic will do nothing to make anyone safer.

The best response to the recent tragedy is to encourage states to properly remit information concerning citizens who have been lawfully adjudicated mentally defective to the existing FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) so that they will be prohibited from unlawfully obtaining a firearm.

Further restricting the freedoms of law abiding citizens like myself based solely on the actions of mentally troubled criminals is not an acceptable answer.

I am the NRA, and I vote.

<your name>

Another:

"Protect the Second Amendment

As a citizen of XXXXX I ask you, a representative of the citizens of XXXXX, to not support any further infringements upon the Second Amendment.

The previous Assault Weapons Ban had no effect on reducing crime throughout the U.S. and did not prevent such events as Columbine or Jonesboro. It certainly would not have prevented the most recent events in Connecticut which already has its own Assault Weapons Ban.

If you wish to truly make a difference please support mental healthcare reforms as well as the removing of gun free zones (free target zones) from our schools and protecting children with armed teachers and security personnel.

Any further attempts at restricting the gun rights of law abiding citizens will result in my seeking your removal from Congress in the next election cycle and actively supporting your opponent in any way possible.

Sincerely,

XXXXX"

Another shorty:

Subject: Protect the 2nd Amendment

I vote in every election and donate and support my local candidates. I want you to know that I support no change to the 2nd Amendment as it stands and I do not want you to support any further gun legislation restricting ownership of any type of firearm. This is a very important matter to me.

Sincerely,

John Q. Public
123 Mocking Bird Lane
Anywhere, WA 12345
123-456-7890
john@qpublic.com

There you go guys, I've done all the footwork, all you have to do is print/sign/mail or call or email.
Do it often, do it alot. We want them to know that we are watching

Not to sound like a Richardhead, but if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. ;)

Let's Git er dun!!

I just hand wrote all their addresses!! Thanks buddy....you got me motivated...... I am going to handwrite all of them and not stop till I get a reply. No room to complain if you don't try and voice your opinion... Thanks again...... Swinestein.....lol......

Scootertrash
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks CRAZY70MAN!

One of the biggest things that bothers me about this bill is the term "military characteristics". I challenge anyone here to name me one firearm design that hasn't been utilized for military use at some point in time. The basis for the design of a large portion of the bolt action rifles made today was the Mauser Brothers Bolt action rifle designed around 1870 and sold to........the Prussian military.

The other thing that REALLY bothers me is Obama and all these Democrats were talking about a *cough* discussion *cough* including improving the mental health system. There hasn't been a peep about that after the first couple of days.

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2013, 11:52 PM
They don't care because THEY are the government!!

We are just Pawns.................

Give it time and I won't be surprised if they TRY to dis-arm people.

ctk
01-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Ms. Feinstein had a concealed weapon permit in the 1970's, look up her interviews from then. Her reasons back then are the same views most of us have and are fighting for today. I am a supporter of firearms and are rights. I am 100% against any type of weapons ban or strictor laws, permits. I just thought people would be interested to see how Dianne Feinstein's views have changed. Again I am NOT a supporter of her or her politics. Also any body that is a shooter/ hunter or just has a gun for home protection, etc don't be so close minded to think that they won't or can't take your guns/ rights away. Look how protestors have been told when, where and what times they can protest. Are amendments can and have been compromised before and will/ can be "altered" at any time. Please don't just say it will or won't happen, get off your butt and act if you want to keep your rights!

ctk
01-03-2013, 01:49 AM
For all gun owners if your not a member now join the NRA now. I'm a NRA supporter, I know they have some flaws but are still a great organization. If your not a member it is $35 for a 1 year membership. If you go to www.guntalk.com And click the join the NRA link you get $10 off, plush Tom Gresham/ website get a commission for you joining the NRA. Guntalk takes the commission they receive and takes 100% of it and donates it to the 2nd amendment foundation. 2 birds with one stone.