PDA

View Full Version : New York Gun Owners: New Bill in NY Would Ban/Destroy All AWs, Register All Guns

Scootertrash
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
New Bill in NY Would Ban/Destroy All AWs, Register All Guns

The New York Legislature is set to consider a bill that would vastly expand the state’s current “assault weapons ban.” Here’s some of the, er, highlights:

All firearms must either be rendered inoperative or surrendered to the police. No grandfathering, no exceptions.
Removes the “grandfathering” exception for possession of magazines with a greater than 10 round capacity.
Bumps up AWB-firearm possession from 3rd degree “criminal possession of a weapon” to first degree, putting simple possession of such a firearm at the same level of punishment as Rape 1 or Manslaughter 1.

Oh, and the whole thing is severable. So if one section is ever declared unconstitutional, the rest of it stays. Full text here. There are also two other bills being considered . . .

S202-2013 has one heck of a preamble:

The New York state legislature finds that semi-automatic assault weapons are military-style guns designed to allow rapid and accurate spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans. The shooter can simply point – as opposed to carefully aim – the weapon to quickly spray a wide area with a hail of bullets. Gun manufacturers have for many years made, marketed and sold to civilians semi-automatic versions of military assault weapons designed with features specifically intended to increase lethality for military applications. As a result, approximately 2,000,000 assault weapons are currently in circulation in the United States. These weapons have been the weapon of choice in the most notorious mass shootings of innocent civilians in the United States, including the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School (TEC-DC9 assault pistol and Hi-Point Carbine) and the 2002 Washington, D.C.-area sniper shootings (Bushmaster XM15 assault rifle). According to FBI data, between 1998 and 2001, one in five law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty was killed with an assault weapon. In 2003, New York lost two of its finest when undercover officers in the elite Firearms Investigation Unit of the NYPD Organized Crime Control Bureau were brutally murdered while attempting to purchase an illegal TEC-9 semi-automatic assault weapon. The availability of military-style assault weapons poses a serious threat to the public health and safety. Most citizens, including most gun owners, believe that assault weapons should not be available for civilian use.

Note how the figures they pulled about “assault weapon” deaths all took place during the last assault weapons ban, before it went out of effect in 2004? Also note how they illustrate their complete and total lack of understanding of firearms and how they work (“spray” bullets my ass…)? Yeah, that’s the level of misinformation and ignorance that we’re up against.

If they happen to wander by the site (as if), I just wanted to throw these in here for their reading pleasure:

The Truth About Assault Weapons
The Truth About the AR-15 Rifle

Also, the statement that “Most citizens, including most gun owners, believe that assault weapons should not be available for civilian use” is a bright shining lie. Which we know, thanks to the latest polling data.

The other bill, S805-2013, is simply about registering all firearms. Previously, only handguns were required to be registered, but this widens the field to include all firearms.

This part would be funny of it wasn't such an inaccurate load of BS lie:
The New York state legislature finds that semi-automatic assault weapons are military-style guns designed to allow rapid and accurate spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/smileyvault-wtf.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Rapid and accurate spray firing???? Rrrriiiggghhtttt. Unfortunately there are sheep who will believe this. :rolleyes:

RIDE-RED 250r
01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up Scooter... I will be calling my State Senator and Assmeblywoman tomorrow... They have both been strong 2nd ammendment supporters in the past but I will still call them anyway.

I knew that cesspool that is Albany had something in the works to unveil shortly after New Years.. This is the forst I have seen of it.

I don't give a flying crap what they do in Albany! They won't get ANY of my weapons or magazines!

Scootertrash
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
No Problem. ;) I get wind of this stuff right away on another forum. I'm just trying to keep people here informed so they know what's coming.
I think it's gonna be a tough battle for the next 4 years.

They won't get ANY of my weapons or magazines!

You mean they wouldn't get any of your weapons or magazines if you had any ;) :D

I've sent notes to my congress critters, but Franken and Klobuchar are two of them so I'm sure my requests will fall on deaf ears. When I sent my email to Franken I got a "That page is not available" 4 times before i gave up.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't even bother with my US Senators... I have the Detestable Schumer and his little toadie Gillibrand. They are both interchangeably worthless lib-tards and nothing I could ever write to them or say to them would make an iota of difference. Especially Schumer!

Every time some shooting takes place that scumbag Schumer is sure to have his puss in front of a camera, carrying on about more gun control VERY inappropriatly shortly therafter. I find the man loathesome and unspeakably detestable.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm sure many of you heard the "highlights" from our wonderful governor's state of the state speech yesterday. He is an absolute disgrace in my opinion!

I called my State Senator and Assemblywoman today and both intend to oppose any new firearms restriction legislation in NY... I just hope the rest of the legislature does the right thing!!

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Sorry to hear this Ride-Red :(:mad::

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-sources-ny-has-tentative-deal-gun-control
I wish you the best of luck

CRAZY70MAN
01-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Looks like it is all but over for NY. 7 round limits on mags???? 1 year to sell any other higher capacity magazine to other legal states? Misdemeanor if you are caught with any other magazines higher than a 7 round? Wonder what other states are smoking dope thinking this will help??? Is all that final yet?? Just read it.........or is that the proposal??

sledcrazyinCT
01-15-2013, 07:55 AM
NY is voting on this today

BiggDogg
01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Sucks for NY, NJ has strong gun laws as it is. a NJ legal AR is really not an AR if you think about it.

If they want the country to be safe, then maybe they should think about Looser gun laws.

I'm just waiting for the riots to start then all the bad guys will have weapons.

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
I thought it passed yesterday 43-18, or is there a second vote in a different section of your state government?
ETA: Nevermind found the answer. ;)

New York's current Assault weapons ban is almost identical to the federal one that ran from '94-'04
New laws in legislation:
Tougher assault weapons bans: one feature instead of two, pistol grip included.

Restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns

The new law also provides a mechanism to identify individual who
purchase unusually high volumes of ammunition, either in person or
over the Internet. Sellers must run the buyer's name through a State
database modeled after the federal "NICS" database to ensure the
buyer is not prohibited by law from possessing ammunition. Ammunition
sellers are also required to electronically file with the State
records of each ammunition sale, including amount sold."

a mandatory police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. Also Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.
Any firearms sold over the internet have to be shipped to a licensed firearms dealer and the buyer has to fill out a 4473, just like if you bought a gun at a store or gun show

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

This is the best part:
Legislators wouldn't comment on the tentative deal or the provisions discussed in closed-door conferences. What happened to a government by the people for the people. Another Pelosi "We have to pass it so you can see what's in it"?

I found this in another article:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/14/ap-sources-new-york-has-tentative-deal-on-gun-control/

“To basically eradicate assault weapons from our streets in New York as quickly as possible is something the people of this state want and it’s an important thing to do. It is an emergency,” Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver told CBS 2’s Kramer.

“We are going to ban assault weapons. We are going to eliminate all of the loopholes that existed previously,” Silver added.

The new state legislation will:

* Limit ammunition clips to seven. It’s now 10

* Force gun owners to renew their licenses every five years

* Stiffen penalties for using a gun in the commission of a crime (Shouldn't there already be severe penalties for using a gun in a crime?)

Stiffen penalties for bringing a gun on school property (how do you penalize a murderer who kills himself after murdering innocent defenseless people?)

* New restrictions on the assault weapons already owned by New Yorkers:

“They will be basically not permitted to be transferred. They will be grandfathered in but not in terms of a transfer. There will be a registry,” Silver said.

I think it's time to move the Statue of Liberty to a more free state

Dirtweed
01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
This is ridiculous.

I wanted to get a Henry Big Boy lever gun in .357, guess that is out of the question since it holds 10 rounds
in its tube-fed magazine. UGH!

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
This is ridiculous.

I wanted to get a Henry Big Boy lever gun in .357, guess that is out of the question since it holds 10 rounds
in its tube-fed magazine. UGH!

Someone will manufacture, or you could make one yourself, a plug to make the tube only accept 7 rounds just like shotguns for duck hunting.

How much more ridiculous are NY'ers going to let it get?

I'm going to make this prediction:
With your politicians mandating the registration of so called assault weapons, I give you guys 3-5 years if not sooner, before they confiscate them, by force if necessary. All it will take is another mass murder, not necessarily a school, by a nutcase with a New York neutered AR15 and multiple 7 round magazines.

cochran
01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
19 executive orders coming down the pipe. Also he will be surrounded by little kids when he does it. Should be quite the show. I have lost all faith in this country.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
The swine in Albany have brought me to my breaking point. It is my plan and hope to be celebrating the next Christmas at our new home in Texas!!

I cannot, and will not live and raise my family in this cesspool of tyranny any longer!

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
From what I understand he can only do so much with EO's. He can't really ban anything, but he can attempt to stop importation of firearms and ammo by EO, and that's only if it holds up.

Everybody needs to keep sending emails and letter to your politicritters. I have yet to get a reply back from Franken(stein) and Klobuchar.

If I can free up Saturday I am going to go down to the capitol for the Jan 19 Pro gun rally. They have rallies planned for just about every state capitol

For the facebookers:
http://www.facebook.com/GunControlMoreCrime

ezmoney1979
01-15-2013, 11:03 PM
The swine in Albany have brought me to my breaking point. It is my plan and hope to be celebrating the next Christmas at our new home in Texas!!

I cannot, and will not live and raise my family in this cesspool of tyranny any longer!
Do it. Better yet, head out west. Oregon is great! Your 350R would love the dunes!

cochran
01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Scooter we are trying to get a group from Bemidji to come down.

Dirtweed
01-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I know we have been looking at Oregon. Plus I hear the fishing is good. ;)

Jason125m
01-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Holy F, you guys sure are in a situation. What the hell kind of crack are they smoking to think this is a good idea! I'm at a loss of words, I can't imagine how you guys feel who live there... Sure is a sad world we live in..

ezmoney1979
01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I know we have been looking at Oregon. Plus I hear the fishing is good. ;)
Oh yeah, and no "brought to you by Mcdonalds" rest stops and toll booths. I was a bit surprised to see the crap you NY guys go through when I visited a few years ago........... lots of BS we don't have here. Property prices are great right now too!

Dirtweed
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
I have lived in CT and NC and no matter what the State always like to get their share first. I don't mind the
thruway....not all that expensive for us usually.....better than the highway usage tax I use to pay in CT and NC!

The thing about the thruway that bothers me is the tolls also go to pay for the Erie canal which loses money every year.
I think they need to fill in that useless ditch and turn it into ATV trails.

200xman
01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Sign the petition here.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/rule-ny-safe-act-be-unconstitutional/W2KLT6t8

Also, a Buffalo lawyer is starting a class action suit.

By WKTV News

Story Created: Jan 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM EST

Story Updated: Jan 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM EST

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WTKV) - "Not so fast~" says a Buffalo attorney who is challenging the legality and constitutionality of New York State's new gun control laws, believed by some to be the toughest in the nation.

Attorney James Tresmond in the next week or so will ask Federal Court in Buffalo to enjoin the law-essentially keep it from going into effect-until federal court can examine and determine its constitutionality.

Tresmond is acting on his own, without financial compensation, although several attorneys throughout the state have signed on to help him with research and advancing the lawsuit.

Tresmond says forcing law-abiding citizens to sell ammunition is an 'unlawful taking'. He says the suit will be a class action and that people who will be affected by the law will be included in the class.

Not only does the Buffalo attorney believe New York State's new gun control law is unconstitutional, he believes it's ineffective.

"Forcing the sale of magazines by law abiding citizens is not going to prevent a single murder or single death," says Tresmond.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Yep, I have emailed Tresmond my name, number and email address as he requested.

Also, one of our state senators has a petition going to review and repeal most of the new law. http://www.nysenate.gov/node/171871/done?sid=659891

I am proud to say that my state senator, Joe Griffo voted NO on the new law as well. http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senator-griffos-statement-senate-bill-2230

I would encourage any NY members here that value their rights to sign the petition and contact Mr. Tresmond with the information he has requested.

See, not all of us NYers are bat-excrement-crazy! ;)

Scootertrash
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!
I will post this in a thread at AR15.com and Gunsnet, I'm sure you will get plenty of guys signing up from there.

ETA: Nevermind, they've already got it covered. :beer