PDA

View Full Version : new member 85 200x advice needed

averysdad
01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I just got me an 84 200x, well about half of one lol. I may have paid too much for it, but I wanted a sport type atc and they are kinda hard to find around here. I live just north of houston texas and I grew up riding honda 70s cc it was alot of fun and I wanted to have that fun again. I have only seen one 200x in person and thats the one I have so I dont know what all is missing, but im going to rebuild it. I'll post pics later.The engine has good compression and dont smoke at all and it runs good. It's hard to start the first time but after it starts and warms up all it takes is one kick. The bad thing is the oil has like small gray milky spots on the dip stick like water is in the oil but its air cooled so could it be moisture from setting or maybe water from some one washing it but it dont look like its been washed in 20 years lol and its a little low on oil. Do yall think the milky oil hurt the motor? It runs really good i was going to just chang the oil but i think i want to open the crank case clean the filters and take a look in there see if a piece off the piston or gears are laying in there . I just need to find the gasket I looked on ebay but only found kits. I just need that one gasket for now looked on honda parts but not sure what gasket it is the part number or i could try to cut one out my self but it would probably be hard to do could use permatex but i dont want to. Some advice sure would be very helpful and what to look for while i have the case open. Also i need to get a gasket for the carb bowl it leaks gas. Some times its hard to get in to first gear dont know why. The splines are also striped off one side of the axle and out of the hub. Im going to weld the hub on to the axle although i should probably replace the bearings on the axle first then weld it but im not going to. The bearings seem good and it may be rusty and hard to get apart. I will get a new axle later and cut the one to get it out or just get a new swing arm. For now i want to change the oil, fix the gasket, weld hub and ride it for a while before i tear it down. Another thing is some oil is seeping out off the top. I cant tell if its coming from the big bolts where you adjust the valves or head gasket or what. Any advice or input sure will be helpful thanks. Sorry for my country grammer :D

CodyRosa
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Hey! Welcome to 3WW. I have the same machine as you and just picked it up about 3 weeks ago for 200 bucks. I'm missing everything for brakes except the rotors hahaha. So I have no breaks on mine. About the oil, i always hear if its milky change it. I would change it anyways so you personally know its good. who knows what the previous owner did lol. About the oil leaking.. my 200M motor thats in my 200x leaks out of the jug all together haha so basically I believe that's just gaskets. I would for surely check your swing arm bearings. My bearings in my swing arm(where it connects to the frame with the big bolt) had the bearings destroyed.. literately.. so in 1 week my rear sprocket was GONE.. I've never heard of someone welding a hub ( I have not been around motors to long, just 3 months lol) BUT I can see it working good until that weld breaks and you lose your tire. Unless you can still put the castle nut on then I wouldn't worry TO much. As for your carb, just get a rebuild kit.. solves a hole lot of issues. Mine was always leaking gas from the overflow but a rebuild kit fixed that.

Yea making your own gasket for the motor is difficult.. I tried with my YTM 125 lol did NOT work to well. I'd suggest just spending the money and getting a gasket. I'm not sure about the first gear problem as I've never split the case but I'm sure something needs fixin lol.

Do you have pictures of the machine??

Have fun, and be safe!

averysdad
01-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I paid $350 all my brake parts are there but they dont work need to be rebuilt. I dont know where to get the parts yet.Shocks are shot need to rebuild them to. Im missing all the plastic, lights, grab bar, and muffler stuff like that. I ride it with just a straight pipe dont know if thats good but sound good to me haha :) kinda like a harley in a way lol. I also, ride it with the axle and hub the way it is and the castle nut is what holds the hub and tire on right now and it just kinda free spins and wobbles around alot (one wheel drive) lol spins out like crazy and cant get any traction with just that one tire pulling gets side ways when i gas it hard or let out on the cluch fast. The bearings between the swing arm and frame i could still change with the hub welded to the axle its the bearings between the axle and the swing arm but they seem to be good. I would not be able to chang them after i weld the hub i dont think i can get the axle out without cutting it but its no good any way. I'm going to weld the castle nut to the hub and axle as well lol. i seen carbs new on ebay im going to get one later a couple mm bigger than stock. For now i just want to fix that one gasket on the stock carb and i need to find the part number for the crank case gasket. I just have one pic of me and my son sitting on it right now and we dont have helmets. I have read the rules so im not going to post it. I will find out how to post pics and take some more and post them soon. Thanks for your reply.

yaegerb
01-05-2013, 11:58 PM
First, change the oil. I don't know what kind of budget you are working with so you can get some cheap 10w-30 or you can run Maxima, which in my humble opinion is the best on the market. Second, their are no oil filters on this bike, only a oil rotor on the right side under the clutch cover. If you want to pull the right side cover off and clean underneath its probably a good idea because sludge can build up after 25 years. Also, when you pull the oil drain cap, there is a little screen behind it. If you have any metal shavings, it will be evident in the screen. When reassembling the case use hondabond 4 or equivalent and use it sparingly. Also don't forget to thoroughly clean the old gasket material off both sides of the cases or you will have a nice oil leak for years to come. Also, I never recommend welding an axle. In the past I have used a cold chisel to try and re-create the splines on the axle and then goop up the spline with Jb weld. It works really well and will get you by. Lastly, I highly recommend downloading a manual and reading through it to familiarize yourself with the bike. User KB0nly (a member on the site) has them for you to download. Good luck and send me a PM if you need anything. I have built a few of these bikes.

averysdad
01-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Wow thanks good info ill use cheap oil at first chang it 2 or 3 times real fast then use the good oil and leave it in there for a while.
I was talking about the rotor when i said filter seen it in the manual that i down loaded off this site im thankful for that it was 50 bucks on ebay. i was thinking about jb weld also but didnt know if it would hold im going to use it now dont have a welding machine anyway. Just have to get a new used hub then chisel the splines in to the axle the hub i have is gone lots of slack and smooth. Im going to look up the honda bond right now. Do i need the gasket to or just honda bond? What about running it without the muffler (back pressure?)Is it ok for me to keep posting alot like this? im not sure how this fourm stuff works thanks for the info. Im going to look at your parts right now i dont have any money for toys but maybe in a week or two lol

yaegerb
01-06-2013, 02:01 AM
You will need the gasket. I would ask Howdy (another member on this site) and see if he has an OEM muffler for your 200x. He's a great guy to deal with.

CodyRosa
01-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Yea try not to run it straight pipped. It's not good for the motor. You'll need that back pressure. Wait are there splines on the axle and NOT the hub? Or vice versa?

jfaulkner02
01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Deffinately get a muffler, if not than you will have yourself a fire under your arse if your carb float decides to stick and leak fuel (dont ask, lol). As long as its a first gen (83-85) 200x, than parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. As for parts like fenders, muffler, and grab bar, these can he bought new aftermarket. You can buy parts for these trikes, here on this site, ebay, servicehonda.com, and other sites as well. I personally would not weld a hub on and not even sure if I would JB weld it, but if it works, it works. I guarantee you can find an axle at a decent price on here. I actually know a member on here has a spare. Another guy who has parts is cptnweezy on the forum. As for your question about posting.....there is nothing wrong with posting alot. Thats what the site is for. Any questions, builds, buys, trades or whatever you reason is, post it.

Howdy
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
You will need the gasket. I would ask Howdy (another member on this site) and see if he has an OEM muffler for your 200x. He's a great guy to deal with.

No exhaust here. I am going to be needing one myself. ;)

Howdy

averysdad
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Yea Wait are there splines on the axle and NOT the hub? Or vice versa?
not any splines on the hub or the axle they are both smooth lol

averysdad
01-06-2013, 10:29 AM

i see you have the hubs i need but im not going to buy good ones just to mess them up with jb weld

averysdad
01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry about all the one line post im not trying to use that reply with quote any more lol. Ya i dont want a fire under my butt that would not be good. I have the muffler but it fell off when i was riding it down the road. Its a first generation its an 85 model. Thanks everyone for all your input and help.

CodyRosa
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Oh wow both are smooth lol. Well your in a pickle! haha. Go to ebay and type "1985 honda 200x axle" I just typed that in and found 2 instantly. There is probably more to I just didn't keep looking. One on there had a sprocket to I think but not sure if its good.

Stephon_xr500
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I have an extra stock spark muffler, no header just the spark arrester, it has one weld on the back but does not effect the pipe. Let me know if you want it. Since I upgraded to a cobra exaust the stock one just sits in a box. I'm on a tight budget with my trikes, so I keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay, if your lucky you can find people parting out trikes. Good luck! The 200x is a great trike when it's all put together!

Cornholio
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Pictures? lol For some reason it sounds like you were describing my stolen 200x... I had my back left hub or axle was stripping out, but it wasnt all the way yet.

averysdad
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Ya im on a tight budget right now also. Changed the oil today didnt take the case apart dont have the gasket yet just drained the oil out of that big 15/16 bolt. Oil was black had small shavings in the oil nothing big, screen didnt even catch them. gray oil on the big drian plug, still gray on the dip stick even with the new oil? I think I have seen this gray build up stuff in the oil cap of cars before cars with over head cams if i remember right. now the strange thing is the book said it holds 1.? somthing quarts i put the spring and screen back in and pourd 1 quart off oil in the case... checked it and it was over full? i dont know, lots of gray sluge? i need too open that crank case. Pics are coming soon guys lol she aint much too look at . Its the right hub and axle on mine and mine is an 85 not an 84 good luck finding yours man that sucks ill keep an eye out for it down here in texas. Hope the small metal shavings arnt that big of deal?

yaegerb
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Na, wouldn't worry too much at this point with the shavings, but keep an eye out for metal chunks. I totally submerged a 200s once and the oil was gray for months. Sounds like water got in there to me. I would run the new oil for a few hours and change it again. Keepdoing that until you get clean oil. If it never cleans up then it sounds like a bunch of sludge on the bottom of the crank case. 1 qt. Of oil is fine. Don't screw your dip stick in to check. Also I assumed you warmed up the motor slightly before changing? Not absolutely needed but helps drain out sludgy oil. I will keep a lookout for good used axles.

yaegerb
01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Here's a good axle...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-200X-200-X-ATC200X-ATC-OEM-Rear-Axle-83-85-Nice-Shape-/110995941798?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7dfa9a6&vxp=mtr

Here are good hubs...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-200X-200-X-ATC200X-ATC-OEM-Rear-Axle-Hub-Hubs-/110995956244?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7dfe214&vxp=mtr

averysdad
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I did crank it up and let the engine warm up and tilted it over on its side a little to help it drain better. Thanks for the tip...I'll keep changing the oil till the gray cleans up or hope that it will clean up lol. Yes i did screw the dip stick in when i checked the oil :crazy: dont know what i was thinking. Im going to look in a junk yard this week sometime to see if i can find me a hub to jb weld to my current axle. I think all hubs are enterchangable?

Cornholio
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I did crank it up and let the engine warm up and tilted it over on its side a little to help it drain better. Thanks for the tip...I'll keep changing the oil till the gray cleans up or hope that it will clean up lol. Yes i did screw the dip stick in when i checked the oil :crazy: dont know what i was thinking. Im going to look in a junk yard this week sometime to see if i can find me a hub to jb weld to my current axle. I think all hubs are enterchangable? only 83-85 200x hubs will work on that machine. I tryed 84 250r hubs on there once, or was it 86? idk but the threads were different

yaegerb
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
The 185 hubs will work. I have a decent set for sale but I think the bolt pattern is 4/130.

CodyRosa
01-07-2013, 05:23 AM
I have 4 hubs. Not sure if there 200x or 250r hubs. I think 200x. There the ones that look like a 4 way intersection from a birds eye hahahaha.. 4/110. I just cleaned up 2 today with sandblaster to paint them red. If you wanted to buy 2 of mine I could clean them up to look brand new! =)

CodyRosa
01-07-2013, 05:24 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-200X-200-X-ATC200X-ATC-OEM-Rear-Axle-Hub-Hubs-/110995956244?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7dfe214&vxp=mtr

This is what I have. I new they were 200x but I got so confused lol. Anyways I got 2 extra.

shadam
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
apparently I need 10 posts in here before I can post pic"s and stuff.

water in oil me thinks.
buddy has same prob in his chain case on his sled.
metal shavings? does it run fine? any knocking or noises?
these machines are almost 30 years old and most have lived a harsh life with little to no maintainance.

averysdad
01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks for ya'lls help but i wont have any extra money for parts for a couple weeks but when Im ready to buy I sure will check back with ya'll and let ya'll know. It runs really good no knocking or pinging noises. It was really small metal peices or might have been grit but cut into my fingure a little when i rolled it around.

averysdad
01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I read this on the net is it true do you guys agree ?

WTB Extended axle for 85 200x
(Like the title says I am looking for a wide axle for one
TimSr
They're a little hard to find and expensive, but I thought Id offer a much cheaper suggestion. You can gain about 2" by running 450r/400ex/300ex hubs. 450R hubs are dirt cheap. You can also gain a couple more inches by running any offset rim. The stock 200X rims have no offset.)

i was thinking of geting an extended axle and maybe swing arm to but wouldnt that just make it harder to pop willies and swing the back end around when turning? thats why i like three wheelers lol

yaegerb
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Yep, that's true.

averysdad
01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Well here she... she isnt pretty but progress in the making lol 160783160784160785

yaegerb
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
That baby needs some tlc

averysdad
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
ya tlc and and alot off parts lol if it was new woldnt be any fun. it seems to me that up north thay have alot off trikes and for cheep and down hear in texas not alot of them and for high prices almost no R or X models not in my price range

yaegerb
01-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Can't wait to see the build progress!

averysdad
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
well i got an axle and hub. how much power should a 200x have? i can give it alot of gas lean back a bit and the front tire will come up in first gear lots of pull in first.2nd dont pull as hard and cant get the front tire up. 3rd fills ok . 4th and 5th fill like the same gear

struckran
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
the 200x has great power for such a small rig, mine would come up in 3rd and even 4rd on occasions but i had some mods done with 18's on back but I hop back and pull the bars when I walk it. be nothing to lean in 5th and drift around corners in gravel pits. Just remember that the 200 engines have a dry spot so when you walk it for along time it starves the top end of oil. I had a 200E engine in my first 200x and it only lasted a summer it was my walking machine that had a short life lol

averysdad
02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
well i take it mine is not runing right lol carb maybe ? it idels good and quick response bogs some times when you get in to it all the way all at once

struckran
02-09-2013, 01:01 AM
ya i'd clean the carb and see if your running the right size main jet if you have any mods done,it might even need a rebuild.... and throw a new plug in if you haven't. You say the compressions good but what did it test at?